Help don't know how to have computer accept RAM

Hello, I have a windows 7 dell that will accept 8gbs of ram but when i swap out the 4 with the 8 the windows screen doesn't load but instead it just get these different colored lines all over the screen what should i do please help
21 answers Last reply
More about help computer accept
  1. JeffLandberg said:
    Hello, I have a windows 7 dell that will accept 8gbs of ram but when i swap out the 4 with the 8 the windows screen doesn't load but instead it just get these different colored lines all over the screen what should i do please help

Try the 8 by itself in a recommend slot (see your motherboard manual). Take out all other memory, to see if it is a compatibility issue between sticks of ram or an issue with the single stick.
  2. it is two 4gbs of ram
  3. what ram?what dell? some spec's would be nice,otherwise its just a guessing game.
  4. Chipset
    Mobile Intel® 5 Series Express Chipset (HM57)
    Audio and Speakers
    SRS Premium Sound™ - 2 speakers @ 2W each
    Built-in microphone
    Optical Drive
    Internal tray-load DVD+/-RW
    Power
    Up to 4 hours and 2 minutes1 of battery life with a 6-cell battery
    6 cell 48 WHr Li-Ion Battery
    9 cell 90 WHr Li-Ion Battery (optional)
    Camera
    1.3MP Integrated Webcam
    Wireless
    Wi-Fi Options:
    Standard Dell Wireless 1501 802.11 g/n

Bluetooth Options:
    Standard Dell™ Wireless 365 Bluetooth® Internal (2.1+EDR) mini-card
    Ports, Slots & Chassis
    Externally Accessible
    (3) USB 2.0 compliant ports
    (1) eSATA/USB2.0
    HDMI™ Port
    VGA Port
    AC adapter connector
    Audio jacks (1 line-out, 1 Mic-in)
    Integrated network connector 10/100 LAN (RJ45)

7-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Digital (SD) Memory Card
    Hi-Capacity Secure Digital (SDHC)
    Hi-Density Secure Digital (SDHD)
    Multi Media Card (MMC)
    Memory Stick (MS)
    Memory Stick PRO (MS Pro)
    xD Picture Card (xD)

Dimensions & Weight
    Width: 14.80" (376.0mm)
    Height: 1.25" (31.8mm) front / 1.34" (34.0mm) back
    Depth: 10.31" (262.0mm)
    Starting weight of 5.83 lbs (2.648 kg)2 (15.6" HD display, 6 cell battery, integrated graphics, DVDRW)
    Regulatory
    REGULATORY MODEL: P10F
    REGULATORY TYPE:P10F001
  5. its a dell ispiron 15r just posted specs and i bought 2x4gbs of ram looks the exact same as the other ram that came with my computer
  6. JeffLandberg said:
    its a dell ispiron 15r just posted specs and i bought 2x4gbs of ram looks the exact same as the other ram that came with my computer

Hi :)

IS IT the same speed ram ? (speed numbers on sticker)

All the best Brett :)
  7. i went to best buy and the man took my laptop scanned it and gave me this ram so im 99% that it is the right kind, but i dont know much about computers so is there anything i have to do before i put in the new ram or something?
  8. JeffLandberg said:
    i went to best buy and the man took my laptop scanned it and gave me this ram so im 99% that it is the right kind, but i dont know much about computers so is there anything i have to do before i put in the new ram or something?

YES. check those stickers on BOTH old and new ram YOURSELF....

9. all i see on the new stickers is a few numbers and a long barcode there the same size physically as the old ones and everything is the same
  10. JeffLandberg said:
    all i see on the new stickers is a few numbers and a long barcode there the same size physically as the old ones and everything is the same

Those numbers ARE the speed...if they are different , they may not work...

Type both old and new numbers here, and we will tell you...

11. ok on the new one im going to tell you exactly what it says: on the top (over barcode)
    CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9 now below the barcode: 918505 then a gap 124506986

old one is this 5112633-1050 but there is also this number too 9995428-068.A00LF
  12. Hi :)

Those 2 are DIFFERENT speed ram...1066 vs 1333

You need to try the 1333 (new ram) on its OWN...

13. Hi :)

Oops forgot to add, if it does NOT work on its own, take it BACK and ask for the correct speed...

14. i have two slots in my laptop for ram when i put the new ram (two 4gbs ram) windows wont load it will load up till the windows animation but after that i just get some random lines on the screen and it just shuts itself down
  15. JeffLandberg said:
    i have two slots in my laptop for ram when i put the new ram (two 4gbs ram) windows wont load it will load up till the windows animation but after that i just get some random lines on the screen and it just shuts itself down

Take it back ...get CORRECT SPEED....

Or ...take laptop with you and do it there....

16. ok thanks, when i get the new ram is there anything i have to do before i install it like change settings ect.?
  17. JeffLandberg said:
    ok thanks, when i get the new ram is there anything i have to do before i install it like change settings ect.?

Nothing whatsoever... just take out ALL old ram, put in NEW and press start button.... that's it... you wont see a huge speed increase anyway...

18. Hi :)

I HOPE you are running 64 bit Windows, otherwise its pointless...

19. thank you very much for the help. have a nice day
  20. and yes i have 64 bit
  21. Hi :)

Yvw, come back if any more problems :)

Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration RAM Computers Windows 7