Disabling integrated audio for new soundcard

I have a Dell 8300. I plan to disable my integrated audio and install a PCI
soundcard. I know how to use Control Panel to get to the audio devices. Mine
is called SoundMax Integrated Audio. If I open its "properties", there is a
choice of disabling the device and/or uninstalling the drivers. Is it
sufficient just to select "do not use this device (disable)" ? Or should I
uninstall the SoundMax drivers, too. If I were to uninstall the drivers, and
later change my mind, I hope I could find them on the system disk or somewhere.
Thanks for info.

GS
1 answer Last reply
More about disabling integrated audio soundcard

    "GarySport" <garysport@aol.comjk.net> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell 8300. I plan to disable my integrated audio and install a
    >PCI
    > soundcard. I know how to use Control Panel to get to the audio devices.
    > Mine
    > is called SoundMax Integrated Audio. If I open its "properties", there is
    > choice of disabling the device and/or uninstalling the drivers. Is it
    > sufficient just to select "do not use this device (disable)" ? Or should
    > uninstall the SoundMax drivers, too. If I were to uninstall the drivers,
    > and
    > later change my mind, I hope I could find them on the system disk or
    > somewhere.
    > Thanks for info.
    >
    > GS

    Your integrated sound will automatically be disabled in BIOS at boot when
    the PCI audio card is added.

    So far as device manager, you can leave the (sound max) entries in device
    manager or not; disable them or not - or at least that's been my experience
    here. I currently have entries for both my SBLive! PCI and C media audio,
    primarily because it's given me no functional issue and because I'm a tree
    sloth.

    Should you go back to the soundmax audio after removing the device manager
    entries, the drivers may be auto-detected and installed by XP, or you could
    reinstall them from your Resource CD - or download and install them from
    Dell's website.

    ***One note: if you're adding a non-Dell PCI audio card, expect to lose
    function of your front headphones jack, as there will be no place to connect
    the (proprietary) cable for such on a retail card.

    Stew

Dell Drivers Audio Devices Sound Cards Computers