Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Tungsten T3 - Treo 650 communication

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 9:10:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Has anyone successfully used a Treo 650 via Bluetooth as a phone for
Tungsten T3 communications (SMS, email, web)? If so, what phone should be
selected in configuring Phone Link on the T3?

Iaenp
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 9:29:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Iaenp" <iaenp@bigpond.com> wrote in message
news:%0I7e.11824$5F3.9876@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Has anyone successfully used a Treo 650 via Bluetooth as a phone for
> Tungsten T3 communications (SMS, email, web)? If so, what phone should be
> selected in configuring Phone Link on the T3?
>
> Iaenp
>
>

Pardon the dumb question but why would you want to do this? The 650 is a
Palm so isn't this a bit redundant?

You might try the Standard GSM Phone selection in Phone Link.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:49:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:3jI7e.6642$yq6.1322@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "Iaenp" <iaenp@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> news:%0I7e.11824$5F3.9876@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> > Has anyone successfully used a Treo 650 via Bluetooth as a phone for
> > Tungsten T3 communications (SMS, email, web)? If so, what phone should
be
> > selected in configuring Phone Link on the T3?
> >
> > Iaenp
> >
> >
>
> Pardon the dumb question but why would you want to do this? The 650 is a
> Palm so isn't this a bit redundant?

Maybe I have a T3 and only occasional access to a 650?
>
> You might try the Standard GSM Phone selection in Phone Link.
>
> Cheers
> TC
>
>
Related resources
April 15, 2005 2:22:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 06:49:04 GMT, "Iaenp" <iaenp@bigpond.com> wrote:

>What I would like to do is get rid of my phone and palm and just have one. I carry both my V710 motorola and my T3. I just want to stop carrying so much stuff and wanted to know how much worse the treo 650 is compared to the t3
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 7:38:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Iaenp" <iaenp@bigpond.com> wrote in message
news:AtJ7e.11869$5F3.6650@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
SNIP

>> >
>>
>> Pardon the dumb question but why would you want to do this? The 650 is a
>> Palm so isn't this a bit redundant?
>
> Maybe I have a T3 and only occasional access to a 650?
>>

So when you have the 650 why not just use the 650? What do you use for a
phone when you don't have the 650?

TC
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 3:33:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:zdR7e.6549$lP1.5381@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "Iaenp" <iaenp@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> news:AtJ7e.11869$5F3.6650@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> >
> SNIP
>
> >> >
> >>
> >> Pardon the dumb question but why would you want to do this? The 650 is
a
> >> Palm so isn't this a bit redundant?
> >
> > Maybe I have a T3 and only occasional access to a 650?
> >>
>
> So when you have the 650 why not just use the 650? What do you use for a
> phone when you don't have the 650?

Why do you want to know? Will that help answer my original question, rather
than question
why I choose to do things the way I do?

>
> TC
>
>
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 9:47:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Iaenp" <iaenp@bigpond.com> wrote in message
news:jbY7e.12512$5F3.7971@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
SNIP
>>
>> So when you have the 650 why not just use the 650? What do you use for a
>> phone when you don't have the 650?
>
> Why do you want to know? Will that help answer my original question,
> rather
> than question
> why I choose to do things the way I do?
>
>>

Because I am trying to understand what it is you need to do so I might be
able to help you find a solution. Clearly no one here has been able to
answer the question for you and I suspect that might be because most of us
don't have access to both a T3 and a Treo 650. Since you do have access why
don't you try it yourself and see if it works. By the way, if you read my
earlier posts you would have seen that I recommended the Standard GSM Phone
when configuring the T3 using Phone Link.

For someone asking for help you seem to be somewhat defensive over a few
simple questions. Perhaps Palm Support might be a better option for you.

TC
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 3:30:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:qF18e.7191$An2.1801@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "Iaenp" <iaenp@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> news:jbY7e.12512$5F3.7971@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> >
> SNIP
> >>
> >> So when you have the 650 why not just use the 650? What do you use for
a
> >> phone when you don't have the 650?
> >
> > Why do you want to know? Will that help answer my original question,
> > rather
> > than question
> > why I choose to do things the way I do?
> >
> >>
>
> Because I am trying to understand what it is you need to do so I might be
> able to help you find a solution.

As I said in my first posting, I would like to have SMS, email and web
access from a T3 via a 650. I fail to see how my reason for wanting to do
this in any way affects the way in which I need to configure the T3 and/or
the 650 in order to achieve it.

>Clearly no one here has been able to answer the question for you and I
suspect that might be because most of us
> don't have access to both a T3 and a Treo 650. Since you do have access
why don't you try it yourself and see if it works.

I have and it didn't. I therefore assumed that either it is not possible or,
more likely, that I had incorrectly configured the two. That is why I posted
the original question.

>By the way, if you read my earlier posts you would have seen that I
recommended the Standard GSM Phone
> when configuring the T3 using Phone Link.

That didn't work either, but thank you for the suggestion.

>
> For someone asking for help you seem to be somewhat defensive over a few
> simple questions.

I am not deliberately trying to be defensive. It is just that I believe my
reasons for asking a technical question are irrelevant to the answer. I do
not consider "Use the 650 by itself" a real answer to the question "Is is
possible to link a T3 with a 650?" (For what it's worth, my current phone is
a Nokia 3315.)
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 7:49:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:30:33 GMT, Iaenp wrote:

> I am not deliberately trying to be defensive. It is just that I believe my
> reasons for asking a technical question are irrelevant to the answer. I do
> not consider "Use the 650 by itself" a real answer to the question "Is is
> possible to link a T3 with a 650?" (For what it's worth, my current phone is
> a Nokia 3315.)

Some service providers have disabled the built in Bluetooth dial-up
network profile. If your 650 is from one of those providers, you
wouldn't be able to connect it with your T3 for SMS/etc.

However, even if you could do this, there really isn't much point to
doing so. The T3 has a bit more RAM (64 MB vs 32 MB) and a bigger,
higher resolution screen (320x480 vs 320x320); the Treo has a
thumbboard instead of a Graffiti area. Other than those extremely
minor differences, the Treo 650 and the T|T3 have a quite similar
feature set. (ignoring the whole "it's also a cell phone" thing....)

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
"I don't want the world, I just want your half." -TMBG
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 6:38:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Iaenp" <iaenp@bigpond.com> wrote in message
news:tH68e.13160$5F3.5723@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
SNIP

>
>>
>> For someone asking for help you seem to be somewhat defensive over a few
>> simple questions.
>
> I am not deliberately trying to be defensive. It is just that I believe my
> reasons for asking a technical question are irrelevant to the answer. I do
> not consider "Use the 650 by itself" a real answer to the question "Is is
> possible to link a T3 with a 650?" (For what it's worth, my current phone
> is
> a Nokia 3315.)
>
>
Sorry if I was a bit testy, must have been before my first cup o' coffee in
the morning. My boss is getting a Treo soon and I'll see if I can try it
out. I suspect that either Palm may not have included that functionality
thinking it was redundant.

TC
!