thefunkeymonkey

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001
I just re booted and checked my cpu temp in the bios, its at 42c. When ive just turned on my pc its at 32c. Is this too hot? Also I play a lot of games, so should i get a drive bay extracter fan or a pci extractor fan?

Currently i have a althlon xp 1500 with a coolermaster heatsink (for up to xp 2000), and a case fan on intake.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
If your system is stable, then you're fine on heat. However, over 55 is, at least in my oppinion, a warning level, as is 60, 65, ect

RAM Disk is not an instalation step.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
You are fine - 42C is absolutley nothing to worry about - very low in fact.

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

svol

Champion
Mine CPU 30 C now in Windows98 with IE and Winamp running, case temp is 25 C.
You have nice low temps.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

G

anything under 50c should be fine. My PIII running at 48 - 50

scwarner

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2002
I'm running dual MP 1600+'s.
Both run about 48C idle and 54C under full load.

"Intel people buy their computers to learn. AMD people build theirs because they already have."

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dude 42 degrees is good. Most Athlon systems run over 50 degrees with stock coolers. At least that's what I've seen. I just ordered some Arctic Silver II though...

G

My AthlonXP 1600+ with boxed cooler and Arctic Silver II is running at 39C standing, 46C under load. When adding fans, make sure you have as many blowing in as you have blowing out, otherwise you don't get the best flow.

I'm offended if anything I've said offended you.

Athlon XP 1600+
MSI K7T266 Pro2

eden

Champion
My AXP 1600 with Volcano 7 runs at 46 ºC idle or whatever I guess! It is pretty hot with such a cooler, a reason to why it is so damn noisy. I am gonna add case fans this week, to see how it goes. When cold booting, it's at a cool and silent 28ºC. How much would 2 case fans help??? I am not gonna pay for more, these things cost 15$ CDN each! Is it better to get 2 80mm from Antec or 2 80 mm Ball Bearing Generic? What's ball-bearing?

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 01/30/02 11:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Cyprus

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
i have an AMD XP1700 with a thermalright SK-6. im at 37c idle, and 43c with TOAST running (10 minutes)
case temp= 25c to 27c.

<font color=blue><b> cyprus </b></font color=blue>

"Never mistake motion for action. "
- Ernest Hemingway

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I love my o/c'ed Tbird at 945 running at 35-38 C idle and 42 max :) That's just with a Global Win FOP32-1 and adequate case cooling.

Hard work often pays off in time, but laziness always pays off now.

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Has anyone here used a program called VCool? I installed it and it dropped my idle temp from 39C to 30C. I was pretty impressed. You can get it <A HREF="http://www.vcool.de" target="_new">here</A> if you want to try it out.

<i>I made you look. But I can't make you see.</i>

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, I think your right. On most of the systems I've built there is only the single mount for a fan down in the lower front of the chassis for intake air. I need to install some fans in the 5.25" bays I guess to bring more air in.

On my personal system (PentiumIII) I've added a squirrel fan for exhaust, and one of those PCI port fans for more intake. I did this because my video card tends to run hot (GF2 MX400). It ran at 57 deg C without the exhaust blower and PCI fan- now it runs at about 50 deg C. These are no-load conditions too.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think I have one of the hottest systems in temp. I need to get a new Case. My computer is running 58c to 70c with PC Alart But the Bios and Sisoft says 53c to 65c. So I m been going by bios and sisoft. But use PC Alart to beep when it hits 71c.

What is a good case I can get that has dual Fans in the front and in the back? Two blowing in two blowing out.

Thanks for the info

G

Yep. Just obtained and installed the PRG.

My temps have gotten as low as 24C, even on an OC'd XP 1900+ @1716 MHz.

Of course on Braziliantech.com, there are Temp FX BIOS's, ONLY for ASUS boards, and not for other boards such as Epox, MSI, Gigabyte, etc... :-(

Nevertheless, thanks for the URL :)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
sounds like very nice temps... for a nice quiet heatsink.
i run at 40-45 full load with my athlon 1200C.
but ive heavily overclocked to 1400 and are using a monster swiftech cooler :D

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

cellbiogeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Eden, just find some 80mm fans with the biggest flow rate like from Sunnon (unless you're worried about noise; my computer sounds like a vacuum cleaner but its never hotter than 39C).

eden

Champion
That was my point, I want a less noisy system so I need to make cooler case temps to make my Volcano 7 spin less!

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

G

Another important thing to remember about computer fans is besides a good CFM they need to have the power. I forget the exact details, but for a fan there should be some indication of the air pressures it can produce, but this could also be hidden in the power rating spec of the drive motor, since they are so closely coupled.

The reason this is important because we want to deffinitely force the cooling issue, if you'll pardon the pun. There are many cables and other obstructions to good airflow in computer cases, so a combination of power and speed is what is needed.

TRENDING THREADS