Gaming/Programming Notebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrimitiveType

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I need a laptop for school. I want to be able to do some gaming, and also run Eclipse well (I'll be doing huge collections this semester and my current netbook definitely doesn't cut it :eek: )

1. What is your budget?
1300. If it's a little more, don't be afraid to make suggestions. Try to stay below that though.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
generally, the larger the better. Preferably no smaller than 16.4
3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080p. I Also want a very crisp display, like the Vaio F series.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Probably desktop replacement
5. How much battery life do you need?
Not all too important, but less than three hours and I would feel pretty gyped.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
League of legends, portal 2 (max), TF2 (max). I don't need it futureproofed in the gaming category, but some power would be nice.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Photoshop (again, display is very important to me)
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
>250GB. SSD would be nice, but I understand the cost.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+VAIO+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+16.4%22+Display+/+8GB+Memory+/+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/2794192.p?id=1218351655699&skuId=2794192&st=vpcf%20226fm&cp=1&lp=1

tigerdirect.com
newegg.com
anywhere else
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3 years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Dvd is fine, bluray would be appreciated.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I like the Vaio F series (currently the link above is my top pick, But I wanted to explore some more) I have not liked a single HP because of their displays.

13. What country do you live in?
US

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
The link above is ONLY available through best buy... which sucks. Any information or insight about that specific laptop would be appreciated, as well as comparable notebooks I could get elsewhere. I am VERY Interested in the DIsplays! Information about the quality of a given display is nigh impossible to find online.
I also am picky about the chassis... Preferably aluminum or at least a nicer plastic. Island keys are good as well. I'm looking at I7-2630QM, mainly.

Any questions, feel free to ask me.

PrimitiveType

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I have yet to see a display that beats out the one I posted above. I have played with some of Asus' ROG laptops and they don't even compare...

However, I would like to see the one you linked in person.

what exactly about this laptop is better than the vaio? It seems like the main thing is the GPU. Can you go into why you recommended this?

Significantly faster GPU and much better cooling

PrimitiveType

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I played with this one in a store, but I didn't like the display. I feel like maxing out settings on a game is a waste if it isn't 1080p. I'd make the sacrifice of medium settings for a 1080p display that looks accurate.

PrimitiveType

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

Definitely leaning towards the g73. The vaio is still very tempting, though the lackof reviews is killer. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS