Burn In ????????

G

I am building my first P.C. Next week.
I will be using a
Soyo dragon+ MB
Athy 1800+XP
256megsDDR(corsair)
40gig IBM deskstar
geforce2gts...(i already use the card now in my system)

What I would like you ALL to help me with is........
What is BURN IN ?
I was going to play a looping 3dmark 2001 banchmark to really get hings hot and botherd, But I see that on sandrasoft it has a burn in feature.
How long should I let it "BURN IN"?
And should I use the 3dmark or sandra? Or just let the wife and kids get on the thing for about 2 hrs,and try to tear the thing to bits. LOL
Any help would be great ot hear. THANKS

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I never bother with that, if something isn't good then it will show it's ugly face soon enough. :smile:

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red> ;)

G

I never use a special program to burn in my new computer. After you have installed the OS, updated all the patches, installed all the programs you need, and run a defragment on your HD, I think your system is burn in

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
The standard burn-in period at most PC shops is 24 hours. Generally, if a system can take burn-in for that long, it should be stable.

Sandra has built-in burn-in tests, but you probably shouldn't stick with just Sandra for a real burn-in. You could probably do the looping 3Dmark test you were considering in addition to that, as well as run Toast for a few hours.

The burn-in tests I personally use are for Linux, so they probably wouldn't do you much good.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Really what your accomplishing with a Burn in is system stability. Its simply to make sure everything in your computer is working correctly. Also if your heat sink has a thermal pad under it a full CPU load will heat it up allowing the CPU to fit into optimal contact with the Heat Sink.
If you want to do something worth while with your CPU burn in go to <A HREF="http://www.intel.com/cure" target="_new">www.intel.com/cure</A> and download the Cancer Research program. It'll max your CPU at full load, and if you decide to run it in your spare time hopefully man kind will benefit. And if you want to be part of something bigger you can join a Distributed Computing Team. I won't tell you which to join if you choose to do so, but I joined team Hardocp :smile:

Trusting every aspect of our lives to a giant computer was the greatest thing we ever did -Homer