P4 SUCKY!!! I told you so?

taylanator

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
What the hell people? No one agreed with me that the P4's performance was bad until this article, I tried to tell people that it did horrible for how much faster it was (mhz) butt none of my AMD buddies where there. What happend? Now it looks like everyone is agreeing that the P4 did very poor.

But this is PERFECT!!! I'm not sure if some of you remember but I started this whole thing about the p4 with my original P4 SUCKY!!! thread and it paid off. I would like to thank everyone that participated in my thread, I got an e-mail the day before the article was posted from the THG saying that they took in consideration what was said in my thread and agreed that the interpetation was incorrect in some areas and the editor failed to mention things that were originaly in the article. They told me about the article and thanked me.

But I must agree that on the current market, the p4 2.2 is in the lead performance wise. But the average computer comsumer does not want to pay 200 dollars more for a few extra fps.

taylor

eden

Champion
Well pretty much of us were disappointed man, no doubt but it's really your rants that pissed many.
The fact remains that the test was to see how much each processor goes far in OC and I am impressed by the P4. However in performance-wise I could not be more disappointed. But the fact again remains of so many factors that limit this DDR OCed P4 low performing in some areas and high soaring in others. To see that a 1.866 GHZ processor stand up to a 3 GHZ is pretty demeaning but again it's not numbers, it's how much was attained. What, you think I would go buy myself a P4 3GHZ in the future and get similar performance? No way man, until Intel does a base high-performance processor without OCing, we'll talk. And the picture will paint differently once AMD switches to 0.13 so hold on your happiness, it will grow. I'd wish Intel didn't rush the Willamette and make the MHZ comparing so useless now, and we no longer use IPC, because of their need to feed fool customers...sad indeed, they have lost one less customer in the future.

Whatever happened to the powerful P2 days!

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The average consumer will do more with their PC other than games...

__
<font color=blue>My hammer has a bigger Hammer than your hammer.</font color=blue>

taylanator

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
thats true but the fact remains that the 2.2 isn't alot better than the xp 2000. And it is for sure not worth the extra 200+ for a 2.2, that is very common thinking amoung the average computer user, I know, because I run a computer store, I see people all the time.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Nothing personal, but how about if you forward that email to me? It would help people know that you're not lying about it.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
the average consumer wouldn't get the fastest processor available unless they had alot of money to blow, but power users would be interested, especially since the 2.2 northwood overclocks very well. The 'average' consumer would probably do fine with a p3 500.

<i>Hi I am from Canada, I don't use amd cause they melt my igloo eh.</i>

G

Yeah well when you take a p4 1.6A and oc it to 133 fsb you get a hell of a deal.(thats about 2000+ performance at less cost)

taylanator

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
ok, do you run a store? do you deal with people all day long about computers? have you built hundreds of computers? I don't think so, computers are not a hobby to me, they are my prefesion. I know what people want. And I'm not talking about what the average computer user needs, I'm talking about what they want. They want a very fast computer that doesn't cost a lot. Amd is an obvious solution.

FatBurger

Illustrious
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/fattyburger/email.html" target="_new">Link to the email</A>

I got this quickly from Taylanator after requesting it, and of course haven't tampered the image (except for drawing the red circle to let Taylanator know to change his computer's date/time).

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

taylanator

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
oops, this is my experimental computer (the fun one) I was overclocking yesterday and I went a little to far and well, I had to reset the bios, this is a common thing amoung overclockers. lol thanks

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
noooo
ive been to a computer store...
the AVERAGE consumer usually buys

celeron 1 to 1.2Ghz, duron 1 to 1.2Ghz
64 to 256mb ram
20 to 40Gb HDD
integrated, tnt m64, tnt2 or if they are lucky a geforceMX graphics card
50x cdrom
8x burner
win ME or XP.

the AVERAGE consumer doesnt pay anything remotely near top dollar.

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've built over a THOUSAND computers. The average person want's 2GHz, 80GB, 256MB, a 24x CDRW, a 64MB video card (they don't even care what chip, to them a 64MB MX200 is twice as good as a 32MB GTS) and a 56K modem. For $200, including 17" monitor. I sell them a Pentium 200MMX, 2GB hard drive, 32MB system with Windows 95 and no monitor for $200. Most of them don't even fill the hard drive, never notice their computer can't play games, etc. I have only had one disappointed by video card performance, using 2MB PCI cards! About 10% run out of hard drive space and get upgrades. So 90% of them are happy with their systems! The problem is convicing them it's all they need (actually, more than they need) for surfing the web!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

eden

Champion
Yes but in his case HE is selling the type of comp, and HE makes sure THE CONSUMER gets not average but the best setting. To him it's AMD, and that's fine and excellent by me. I personally would not run a store selling P4s until I realized it has potential performance and gets better than that. I realize I would receive average users not professionals and they don't overclock, so I make sure I get the best performance for their buck, and so far it's the AMD systems.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
oh gee...are you still talking?!?!?

:mad: <A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2096468" target="_new">P4 + SDRAM</A> = <b>BAD</b> :mad:

Ganache

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
200 more your mad,

here in canada , i looked in a couple of store , the p4 2.2 northwood is about 600$ more that a XP 2000+

1000$ vs ~ 400 $

INTEL IS MAD !
i paid my whole comp 2600 ! i wont pay 1000 for a cpu

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Dood..calm down, we all know amd is better for the number they give off, but about you running a store and only selling AMD... if I was running a store, it would be because i had to pay the bills, and I'd say more people are intel lovers and would pay the extra dollar for an intel product, giving me more profit. Well just a suggestion.. i say put a intel 2.2ghz or two in your stock and see how fast those things sell and see how much profit ya make my friend. The world still see's intel as the better product, well at least to the people who don't read up on performance charts of cpu's, i'd say 80% of the public

didnt have one of em electronic pens so ill just type my name,<i>CoOoLMaNX</i>

eden

Champion
To be honest, you'd make better profit with AXPs from my view, as you pay less for the bulk and can sell them at a higher tag while the store next door selling Intel has similar chip but 500$ CDN more. Which store will the user go see?
Besides my local shop whom I favor so much because they chose to stick with AMD ONLY, have been doing so since 5 years running and are still number one. They sell AMD because it's the honest way of showing performance and they do make profit all the time. They are busy, and always sold out of chips and hardware, however just January they began selling Intel for the purpose of competition, but no matter what, when they announced that in their magazine add, they even put a small tip saying: BUY AMD, nevertheless.
Those are my type of people who know the truth and sell the truth, they are my idols!

--

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
please tell me where you work, I'll make a point NOT to go there, since you obviously don't know what you are talking about most of the time. Your non-stop quest to bash intel is hopeless, the truth is out there, we know the benchmarks, we know who wins.

<i>Hi I am from Canada, I don't use amd cause they melt my igloo eh.</i>

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
judging by local shops around here i can say this. the average consumer is going to purchase a computer most likely how he/she does with any other "gadget" in their house: what looks cool and what's the latest. they will get outrageously overpriced and will be none the wiser. it's to be expected though. everyone does it, you don't know too much or everything about a product you want to buy, so what do you do? you fall back and buy the established name. take two nike shoes, one with all the logos on it as usual, the other not one swoosh on it, but the exact same shoe. which do you think will sell more?

happiness is finding a stick of ram in your mail.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
So, let us see the email headers. I would like Taylanator to provide the email headers, complete with the message ID, server addresses, etc. What we have seen so far can easily be duplicated by anyone.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
you go crashy. thats good. BTW do you mean you screw them? or just that they are stupid? lol please tell me that you screw them. lol that would be very funny.

<font color=purple><b>Let us respect each other, so we can all be friends.</b> :wink: </font color=purple>

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
hhhh i had one of those fatburgers today. god they are sooooooo good. mmmmmmmhhh with american chees. mmmm mmmmm mmmm mmm M.

<font color=purple><b>Let us respect each other, so we can all be friends.</b> :wink: </font color=purple>