Sign in with
Your question

CPU suggestion- parts needed for a silent fast PC

Last response: in CPUs
January 29, 2002 10:50:31 PM

I've been wanting to build a silent PC, I prefer AMD processors but dont know if a athlon xp or duron could be cooled well enough completely silent with no fan at all or stop it from producing a lot of heat.

What parts to use for a silent pc? I'm not interested in any fans besides power supply hopefully.

I'm thinking, Via C3 processor, enermax whisper psu.. and dont know what motherboard style or chipset produces little heat and same with video, need something without a fan and wont make the case hotter than it has to be.

Thanks.

"dude your getting a dell", is that kid trying to say he wants to stick his 'dell' in you?
January 29, 2002 11:06:12 PM

enermax whisper = good
modern hard drive, either ibm 60gxp, 120gxp, or maxtor d740x. nice and quiet drives = good
1 rear 80mm lowflow(quiet) panflo fan to remove case heat.
kt266a based motherboard with passive northbridge heatsink (common)

and despite popular missconceptions, u dont need a 100dBa turbine to cool an AMD cpu.
coolermaster make decent heatsinks and the fan's atop them are very quiet. dont expect supercooling, but they do the job well.

so u can have a very quiet AMD system.
just requires some intelligence.

probably the noisest thing in there will be the CD drive(s).
i know that Ricoh make reasonably quiet CD-RW drives... and the trayless pioneer 16x dvd isnt TOOOO bad lol

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :) 
a c 159 à CPUs
January 29, 2002 11:13:13 PM

I use a desktop case, with the monitor on top, and no side vents for less noise. I found the thermaltake sk6 (all copper-heatsink only) for $25 at coolerexpress.com, and added a slow generic fan for quieter running.
Related resources
January 29, 2002 11:15:33 PM

1) Buy a laptop?
2) Buy a Mac, some of the recent models are 100% silent.
3) Install watercooling, this can be done without the use of fans, although I don't know how noisy the water pump could be.
4) The Noisecontrol from Silverado is incredibly quiet but also efficient, esp. when run in 6V mode. But then, its not "silent".
5) Never boot up = a silent PC
January 29, 2002 11:19:28 PM

LOL @ #5

could install a zhallman flower... or whatever they are called

but a totally silent PC is impossible cauz u still have the PSU, hard drive(s) and cd media drives makin noise.

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :) 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2002 2:30:43 AM

Koolance case.

Xp 1700+
Water cooler for your vid card
water cooler for y our northbridge(if you get a kt266a)
whatever sound you want
whatever recent nvidia card like a ti 200(so you can mount the waterblock on easy instead of it being epoxied on)
Get a maxtor x740d(er something like that) with their fluid dynamic barring HDD or a modern 5200 hdd.

That system won't be totaly quite but close.

If you have to have a total silent pc then get an g4 cube :p 

or use a via cyrix cpu that only needs a heatsink and get a geforce 2 mx or something that just uses a heatsink as well.
January 30, 2002 2:43:36 AM

In my silent PC I've got:
-350W Enermax Whisper PSU (which has the quietest fans I've ever not heard)
-MSI K7N420 Pro motherboard, which doesn't have a fan on the Northbridge, and has an integrated GeForce 2 MX (which means I don't have a fan on my graphics chip).
- Quiet Seagate HDD. I forget which model, but if you look around you should be able to find a good one.
-1600+ Athlon XP with a 20dB fan and a Swiftech MCX462 heatsink. The 20dB fan is the loudest component in my PC, not because you can hear it spin but because you can hear the air being pushed through the heatsink. I think this may be something to do with the heatsinks design.

The lowest speed grade of the Thoroughbred may work without a fan if you have a very good heatsink, but I can't be sure since it's not yet released.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
January 30, 2002 3:56:21 AM

Heres my system
Athlon XP 1700+, Gigabyte GA-7VTXE (VIA KT266A), 512MB Crucial PC2100, Alpha PAL6035 with 60mm to 80mm adapter and 80mm case fan cooling, Visiontek Geforce 2 GTS, ATI TV Wonder Stereo, Linksys Etherfast card using @Home, SB Audigy, Altec Lansing ADA885 THX certified Dolby Digital decoder 8 inch dual voice coil sub, Toshiba DVD/CDRW combo drive, Antec SX600 case, Enermax Whisper 350watt PSU, Windows XP Pro

On the Alpha I have a 80mm fan from 3dcool.com and is fairly quiet. I have the stock Antec on the back of the case and 2 80mm sunon fans sucking in air from the front, they are the main part of the noise but when I unplug them system and cpu temps rise to much.

I used to have a 7000rpm 60mm fan on the alpha and it was much to loud, not loud but high pitched, which is worse than loud.

"dude your getting a dell", is that kid trying to say he wants to stick his 'dell' in you?
January 30, 2002 4:15:36 AM

The Globalwin CAK-II heat sink has a single copper design, so the entire thing is one large piece of copper, nothing is soldered so it cools extremely well, even with Low CFM fans. With one quiet 80mm output fan and MAYBE (not really needed) an 80mm intake you'd have good case air flow and hardly hear anything. If you are contemplating a Cyrix then you must not be going for major performance, so theres a good chance if you picked up an Athlon XP 1500+ with CAK-II and low CFM fan you might be able to drop the voltage a tad and produce even less heat. Make sure to use Artic Silver II or Alumina heat sink paste, it'll help your temperatures a degree or two (heck every little bit helps)
You can also put sound proofing pads on your fans like Dynamat to reduce vibrations, thus lowering sound. You can even put foam inside your case. I did a case and I lined the entire inside with foam sheets that came underneath motherboards in their boxes. I had built several PCs and had it lieing around and it worked quite well.
What do you need a super quiet PC for anyways? I'm just curious you dont really have to tell me :smile:

Trusting every aspect of our lives to a giant computer was the greatest thing we ever did -Homer
January 30, 2002 4:59:12 AM

Try any or all of <A HREF="http://www.quietpc.com/products.html" target="_new">these</A> products for a quiet solution.

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:
January 30, 2002 6:11:59 AM

Well honestly I have this fairly fast machine (Athlon XP 1700+, Gigabyte GA-7VTXE (VIA KT266A), 512MB Crucial PC2100, Alpha PAL6035 with 60mm to 80mm adapter and 80mm case fan cooling, Visiontek Geforce 2 GTS, ATI TV Wonder Stereo, Linksys Etherfast card using @Home, SB Audigy, Altec Lansing ADA885 THX certified Dolby Digital decoder 8 inch dual voice coil sub, Toshiba DVD/CDRW combo drive, Antec SX600 case, Enermax Whisper 350watt PSU, Windows XP Pro) and worthy machine IMO that I use for about a quarter of what its capable of.

Basically people these days have super machines from gateway (mines homebuilt of course) or wherever and use them as very expensive MP3 players and internet browsers.
I play about 1 game, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, play an occasional DVD and email, a C3 will do all that and more with a Geforce 4 or Radeon 8500. And with as much time as I spend on the computer the sound really is annoying.

I think I speak for 85% of computer users on the under-use of modern processors. My friends who play more games than me might use the Athlons power much more but I don't think games like Quake 3 would be unplayable on a C3 with something like a 8500, from what I've seen games are almost completely limited by the video card used (cpu can make a large difference but more in the 1-30FPS range depending on CPU rather than running at 10fps on a crappy 3d card vs 100 on a Geforce on the same CPU). I put a Geforce 2 Pro in a buddys Pentium 2 (wanted me to help him play the newer games without a new PC) and he plays Return to Castle Wolfenstein fine even online.
I've ripped a couple DVDs I own but don't make it a habit, I think thats the only CPU intensive thing I've done and otherwise my 1700+ just makes me 'feel good', and it heats up the room.

January 30, 2002 9:11:06 AM

Quote:
probably the noisest thing in there will be the CD drive(s).
i know that Ricoh make reasonably quiet CD-RW drives... and the trayless pioneer 16x dvd isnt TOOOO bad lol

My plexwriter 24x is pretty quiet, not silent, but no cd burner is.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
January 30, 2002 9:12:42 AM

Quote:
The lowest speed grade of the Thoroughbred may work without a fan if you have a very good heatsink, but I can't be sure since it's not yet released.

You could underclock an axp, it would be cheap and a large copper hsf without a fan should be able to cool it if you have one case fan.

January 30, 2002 12:59:39 PM

There are several Tualatin solutions out there running with no active cooling, check into it. It's not the fastest CPU out there for sure but it performs well enough for current applications. And if you even considered a C3 then you should consider the current Intel Celeron chips.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.
January 30, 2002 1:46:46 PM

Cost is also a factor, and the tuallys are overpriced, especially for what he is trying to do.

My vote is to get the lowest axp you can get and underclock it. Cheap and effective.

February 8, 2002 1:48:44 PM

I have a machine with a PII-333 (cartridge). I pulled the plug on the fan and the temperature started going up. After about 3 minutes the heat reached a point that I knew would be detrimental - I repeated this excercise several times with the same results. Can't imagine how you can run a PIII without a fan.
February 8, 2002 1:51:46 PM

How do you underclock an XP without going through the ugly process Toms outlined? Are you just cutting the FSB? Seems such a waste.

My biggest issue with even effective cooling is that the heat still ends up in my room, which makes it 5 degrees warmer than the rest of the house - which is not comfortable in the summer.
February 8, 2002 5:01:18 PM

Zalman has 3 operation modes, all are very quite
Sunflower is loud in comparison, it has a 5K fan
February 8, 2002 6:04:50 PM

Buy the cheapest mp processor, they are unlocked from the factory.
The athlon mp 1.2ghz is 149, it is palomino and comes unlocked, you can then underclock it to 900mhz or so, maintain a full 133mhz front side bus, and with a very large cooler, run it passivly cooled if you wish.

<A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com/1/3/4173-1.htm" target="_new">http://www.pricewatch.com/1/3/4173-1.htm&lt;/A>

February 8, 2002 6:06:22 PM

About unlocking, there are strips and for the life of me I forgot the name, but they are little pieces of tape with metal wires in them, and you can use them to connect the bridges on the tbird or axp.

I saw them at athlonoc.com and the overclockers store, they are 6 bucks (IIRC).

February 8, 2002 6:08:15 PM

Quote:
How do you underclock an XP without going through the ugly process Toms outlined? Are you just cutting the FSB? Seems such a waste.

An axp on a 66mhz fsb would still whomp the cyrix IMO.

Since you would be happy with cyrix performance, dropping the fsb to 100 shouldnt be too much of a problem id think.

February 8, 2002 6:11:20 PM

Trace tape

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
February 8, 2002 6:26:44 PM

You rule burger!

February 8, 2002 6:36:13 PM

I know :wink:

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
February 8, 2002 7:17:39 PM

Before anyone can recommend anything I think you need to specify what the system will be used for.

Off the top of my head I'd say:
~ Asus TUSL (if you want integrated graphics)
OR Asus TUSL-C (if you want a graphics card)
~ 1.13Ghz PIII Tualatin
~ Alpha 6035 (fanless)
~ Enermax 350W

- JW
February 8, 2002 8:01:37 PM

Get a very large heatsink and good airflow, Dell and Gateway both will do this if they can get away with it. At my old workplace we had several Dell racks that were all dual PIII 667's, none of them had a fan on the heatsinks.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2002 10:55:48 PM

I dont speak from ownage experience, but I have been around two such PC's and seen one review where the guy weny so far as to say that he could and would sleep by his pc it was so quiet.
Main three things that made it quiet where.

PSU. was either QuietPC's Ultra-Quiet Power Supply Unit
or an Enermax(whisper). This power supply really impresses me. It was the 350W(of course)
-Next factor was a good quality aluminum case. I would suggest Lian Li PC60 or 60u(which has usb built into the bottom-front. There essential the same) <A HREF="http:// http://www.lian-li.com/product.php?action=viewPD&prdid=... " target="_new">http:// http://www.lian-li.com/product.php?action=viewPD&prdid=... </A>
-last factor was the use of something I no as V-Block. It will insulate the sound of your case. At most it is known to raise the case temp 1-1.5degrees. You can put it on the whole inside of your case or just put it inbetween your psu and case.
<A HREF="http:// http://www.amkcomputer.com/amkpc/index.html?loadfile=ca... " target="_new">http:// http://www.amkcomputer.com/amkpc/index.html?loadfile=ca... </A>
-Considering that the two cases that I have been around with this set up each had atleast three aditional 80mm fans, and it still did an incredible job with sound. Id say the extra degree is nothing at all.

This set up has worked wonders with the PC60 or 60u. I dont know about other cases.

The set ups where asus A7V266-e mobos with either AthlonXP1800 or 2000. In one case one of the 80mm was on an adapter for the oc'ed cpu. I dont know what it was running at though. Hope this helps. I really believe you could go with something better then a Cyrex chip and still have a really quiet PC.

Last note. When buying fans for cooling, it is possible to get really low deciable 60 or 80mm fans. YOu would have to find a speciality electronics store and you would spend more on them but its worth it if your after the combo of quiet and cool.
Good luck with it either way.

R_E
!