Logging into multiple computers at once

richi3d10

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew whether it is possible to login to multiple computers at once. More specifically I would like to use the fingerprint reader on my laptop to login to it and my two desktops simultaneously. I don't even know if it is possible, or if this is the right section in the forums but I would like to know if anyone can help me?

Thanks in advance. Rich.

Solution
If you are using a home group and are happy with that, I’d stick with it.

If you are using a home group with an unmanaged router (what it sounds like) then each computer authenticates each user individually and there is no server to point to. Therefore you can hook up as many computers as you physically can and log into all of them simultaneously.

To set up a network you'll need a server and a switch. At that point you can assign IP addresses and remotely manage email, patching, hard drive allocation, web access, the whole lot, if you want. But it requires more knowledge than most people can acquire easily in forums. I'd stick with the home group until you can get a networking class or two under your belt.

I managed a 15K...

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
I don't think it is possible..
Firstly, your laptop is not tied to those desktops and they each need a password to log into..right?
I had a server that I could log on from a remote desktop but that is not what you're asking...
So the short of it is no! not simultaniously...

richi3d10

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
Hmm... ok. I can access it using teamviewer or its files through my home group . Are you saying that to get this to work I would have to network my computers together, I am open to doing that?

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012

It depends on his network. I log into several computers simultaniously every day, and that is with a PKI certificate. If his network allows it, yes he can.

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
If you are using a home group and are happy with that, I’d stick with it.

If you are using a home group with an unmanaged router (what it sounds like) then each computer authenticates each user individually and there is no server to point to. Therefore you can hook up as many computers as you physically can and log into all of them simultaneously.

To set up a network you'll need a server and a switch. At that point you can assign IP addresses and remotely manage email, patching, hard drive allocation, web access, the whole lot, if you want. But it requires more knowledge than most people can acquire easily in forums. I'd stick with the home group until you can get a networking class or two under your belt.

I managed a 15K user network for the US government and at home… I have a home group of four computers, a four port Cisco router, a five port switch, a networked printer and a PS3. It does the job and I have no desire to spend the $10K I would need to spend to put together the server I would want.

Solution