Need a "new" laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Okay, I'm normally the one giving recommendations, but I thought I'd let the you guys give your suggestions...
Recently, our 2 year old hp dv7 died (blasted motherboard :non: )
Now, I need a decent replacement... Here is the filled out read before buying questions:

1. What is your budget?

Nothing above 700 Dollars Including tax.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

It is prefered if it would be above 16"

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Doesn't matter, I'd prefer it'd be higher then 1366x768 though.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Well, It is a bit of both, the lighter the better, but I guess 17" auto marks it up into the desktop replacement category.

5. How much battery life do you need?

As much as possible, Atleast 2 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

No gaming.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

A lot of email, surfing business related sites, word processing, powerpoint, excel... etc... Not much multi-tasking, but there will be times where there are 3 IE windows open, and maybe a 1-2 spreadsheets at a time.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

320 GB would be enough, 7,200 RPM is prefered, but it doesn't make much a difference if there isn't one available.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I'd prefer it be a retailer that you can walk into.. Like Fry's, BestBuy...

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

3-4 Years. It will be used aslong as it lasts.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD Writer/Reader. And the same goes for CD.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Prefer it NOT to be HP. Mainly because our experiences with the tech support in the past, and the overall quality of the laptop.

I like Asus, but it won't matter if it isn't an Asus, just aslong as the laptop has good customer reviews.
I also like MSI, again, I'm not limiting myself to one.
I have a 10+ year old dell with Win98... I'm open to Dell, but their quality is like hp...

13. What country do you live in?

Texas, USA.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Llano looks like a good direction to search in...
Warranty isn't very important, I don't want to pay extra for it. I like Asus also because of the 1 year accidental damage that seems to be a feature that most other brands aren't offering by default.

Thanks, and hopefully it will be easy to find a laptop matching my criteria.

If you guys have any ideas in mind but they don't quite fit my already lenient criteria, don't be afraid to post, aslong as it stays within budget.

I'm monitoring this thread closely... will choose the Best Answer as the descision is made. If I end up getting a laptop that no one suggested, I will select best answer based upon input quality, and reasonable laptops, even if they weren't selected.

Thanks again :)

Solution
Are you close to a microcenter.
Texas
• Houston/West Loop
• Dallas Metroplex/Richardson

Might be time to Look at the on-line adds for the Laptops that you now have on the "short List" and take "Dad" to look at.

Understand about "Local" vs internet, not just on Credit Card, but with laptops it's nice to see the screen. That last top I mentioned is only the 2nd one not bought locally (first one was about 10 years ago, my wife bought me one off of QVC.

I know many "older" people are reluctant to use "on-line" shopping, but the savings more than offset the small possibility of fraud. And in the limited cases, the CC company's are very good on resolving a problem - Your only limited to $50 liability (NOT true for corporate cards or debit...
How much research have you done? I recommend a visit to www.pcworld.com as they test a boatload of laptops. Notebookcheck.com also has fairly comprehensive reviews, although they are mostly a hardware site.

I would test out a lot of laptops at the brick and mortar stores you mentioned, as a lot of what determines a great laptop is how it feels, how the touchpad responds and the quality of the screen. It nice to have a large desktop replacement that looks sharp, but comfort is very important for extended working sessions. It looks as thought his machine is a practical working machine, so I'd look at lenovo and toshiba for a practical workhorse that also has some nice multimedia function, like good speakers and a quality screen.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
That Toshiba off Newegg was okay, except, the processor... 1.9 GHz?
I'd like atleast a A6, or A8...

It doesn't have to be Llano, any laptop within the criteria will work...
The Asus looks good.. keep up the posting!

Thanks,

I think you'll find more LLano laptops coming to market in the next couple of months.

I don't have any specific models to recommend. The 17" category doesn't have a lot of budget models, but they are out there. No gaming means you won't need a dedicated graphics, so that helps.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
How do u think about this Asus K52JT-XV1 15.6" Core i7 Notebook $700.00? LOOKS NICE stuff. It might worth u a peek. Good luck for u.
http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?type=id&q=d268054&ru=28906849

thats an old series i7. outdated.

tbh it looks like the llano cpus are a joke. comparing processing power it seems like the i series are much better and around the same cost. especially since you can get an 2630qm for around 700.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010

I'd be very interested to see a laptop like that... I could find any when I searched, could you provide a few links? I'm expecting it to be new, and off a retailer like Fry's, BestBuy, or any dependable one for that matter...

Thanks!

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Well, like I said before... I'm not interested in getting another hp laptop.
Really, here are the three brands I don't want to deal with:

1. HP -absolute no.
2. Dell - I don't like it, but open to a suggestion.
3. Toshiba - I'm okaay with it, but then again, another brand would be better...

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
There are 2 links... 1, the laptop is too small, and on the other one, there are 100 different models... with no details, I don't have the time to sort thru all of them, so specific links to what I asked would be appreciated.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131116
Samsung RF711-S01. 17.3" 1600 x 900, I5-2410m, GT540M w/1G (For me not needed). 2 HDD bays (what I was after), Blu-ray drive. Currently $850, but they had it on sale for $750 (I think they put this on on sale periodically).

I wanted the dual HDD bays (For 2 SSDs or one SSD and One HDD), didn't really want a dedicated GPU as IGP would be fine (Not for gaming). When this went on sale, I jumped on it.

There's the 17.3" Lenovo G770 that's currently on sale for $629 + free shipping. Using the eCoupon code LOGICBUY10C knocks of 10% (basically cancels out the tax) and you'll be within your $700 budget.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/builder.workflow:Enter?mtm-item=%3A000000F3%3A000045DE%3A

The Lenovo sale ends tomorrow, July 20th. The eCoupon expires either tomorrow or the next day.

I too have been contemplating a new laptop, but it would be more for a want than a need. I'm tempted by the 14" Lenovo Y460p for portability... but I maybe I'll just wait to see what's available on Black Friday. So until then, I guess I'll continue to use my trusty 'ol IBM ThinkPad T40 from 2003.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
I'm not dead set, but it is a laptop for my dad. And he's not interested in entering credit details online.. He'd rather be able to go to a store if the laptop has a problem while it is still in warranty...

Are you close to a microcenter.
Texas
• Houston/West Loop
• Dallas Metroplex/Richardson

Might be time to Look at the on-line adds for the Laptops that you now have on the "short List" and take "Dad" to look at.

Understand about "Local" vs internet, not just on Credit Card, but with laptops it's nice to see the screen. That last top I mentioned is only the 2nd one not bought locally (first one was about 10 years ago, my wife bought me one off of QVC.

I know many "older" people are reluctant to use "on-line" shopping, but the savings more than offset the small possibility of fraud. And in the limited cases, the CC company's are very good on resolving a problem - Your only limited to $50 liability (NOT true for corporate cards or debit cards). Two cases in point. (1) Me and my wife went on vacation (LA via stop over in Los Vegas), the card was used in Va, then Los Vegas. When we hit LA, my wife went to purchase a Item (several hundred bucks) the card was declined. She had to call to allow the card to go thru. Another time we found a 2 day hotel charge (From Florida) on are bill (Quite a long time ago). Had no problem getting it taken off. My wife make so many purchases off the shopping networks that when shee took a two week vacation to England, One of them acuaully called to make sure she was OK (Got a real laugh on that).
Bottom Line - Help them get over this reservation - Money saved over the years could be considerable. PS My wife and I are both "Old foggeys" (65 and I'm 67)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.