How due you change from ESATA to a SATA setup without reloading Window

Forgetfull

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I was running a External Hard Drive threw my ESATA port but I decided to move my External hard drive to the inside of the case. So when I setup Windows 7 x64 it was installed as an ESATA in my bios but I want to move it back to a SATA setup but I don't want to reload my OS to due so. I know there is way to due it threw the regedit command threw the run menu but I don't know much more then that. So if yall can help me please respond to this post. Thanks.

Solution
Forgetfull,

Any registry edits / hacks to alter how Windows 7 was originally installed will only result in poor performance. A clean install will be best.

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Forgetfull,

Any registry edits / hacks to alter how Windows 7 was originally installed will only result in poor performance. A clean install will be best.

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Solution
So long as Windows 7 has a driver for the internal SATA controller, you shouldn't have to do anything. Both Windows Vista and Windows 7 are pretty forgiving / capable when it comes to moving boot volumes between different hard drive controllers (regardless of whether the controllers are in the same physical computer or not).