Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How due you change from ESATA to a SATA setup without reloading Window

Last response: in Windows 7
May 23, 2010 10:14:56 PM

I was running a External Hard Drive threw my ESATA port but I decided to move my External hard drive to the inside of the case. So when I setup Windows 7 x64 it was installed as an ESATA in my bios but I want to move it back to a SATA setup but I don't want to reload my OS to due so. I know there is way to due it threw the regedit command threw the run menu but I don't know much more then that. So if yall can help me please respond to this post. Thanks.

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
May 23, 2010 11:24:57 PM

Forgetfull,

Any registry edits / hacks to alter how Windows 7 was originally installed will only result in poor performance. A clean install will be best.

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team
a b $ Windows 7
May 24, 2010 1:13:50 AM

have you tried to load from it? depending on the controller card in the external hdd it may have just been a sata pass through card (eSata and sata use the same protocol, just eSata has a redesigned connector for external devices)
m
l
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
May 24, 2010 2:05:51 AM

So long as Windows 7 has a driver for the internal SATA controller, you shouldn't have to do anything. Both Windows Vista and Windows 7 are pretty forgiving / capable when it comes to moving boot volumes between different hard drive controllers (regardless of whether the controllers are in the same physical computer or not).
m
l
May 31, 2010 4:31:00 AM

Best answer selected by forgetfull.
m
l
!