Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Random Crashing and Inability to Post Properly

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
February 17, 2013 8:20:00 PM

I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate forum to post this problem. I'm uncertain as to whether the problem is hardware or software related.

Recently, my Windows 7 computer has been randomly crashing, and then restarting itself. I was initially under the belief that it was doing this when it was inactive, as it would always seem to happen when I wasn't using it. However, today, the myth was debunked. It crashed while I was using it.

After Windows 7 recovers, I get a Windows dialogue ... "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown." The details indicate:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
LocaleID: 1033

BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: FFFFF88005B7422C
BCP3:FFFFF88009868498
BCP4: FFFFF88009867CF0
OS Version: 6-1_7601
Service Park: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Another oddity ... many times when I initially start my computer, it will cycle on and off randomly before reaching the post stage. The lights and fan will fire up, then shut down. Within seconds, it restarts. It sometimes follows this cycle 4 or 5 times before booting up. There are no status messages associated with this.

My computer:

MB: ASUS P8Z77-V
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @ 3.4 GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX660ti; Nvidia GeForce 8500GT

Anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this annoying problem? Is there anything I can add to help diagnose the problem?
February 17, 2013 8:30:20 PM

Is your machine recieving sufficient cooling?
Score
February 17, 2013 11:29:58 PM

The Stealthinator! I assume I am getting good cooling. As I write this Motherboard is 32C and CPU is 33C. I am using a Corsair H60 CPU cooler.
Score
Related resources
February 17, 2013 11:36:56 PM

Re Seat the Ram and Vid card - Run memtest...
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 17, 2013 11:45:37 PM

Look in the event viewer. It should give you some added details of the crash. Look for the event ID and source.

Try removing the 8500GT.
Score
February 18, 2013 8:41:23 AM

MaxArk said:
The Stealthinator! I assume I am getting good cooling. As I write this Motherboard is 32C and CPU is 33C. I am using a Corsair H60 CPU cooler.

I guess that's not your problem then... :??: 
Score
February 23, 2013 11:09:24 AM

Hello folks ....
Thanks so much for your replies. I'm getting the impression that the likely cause is hardware related vs. software. Fair assumption?
I'm looking for the opportunity to run MemTest ... I understand to do it properly takes a long amount of dedicated time, so it will be done eventually.
Where can I find the results of the "event viewer"?

I will be certain to post results as I get them.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 23, 2013 3:56:24 PM

For the event viewer, go to the start menu, and in the open box, type event viewer.
Score
March 2, 2013 3:57:49 PM

Hi folks ... I've followed the advice of all here to try and isolate the problem.

1. I've re-seated both RAM cards and my 8500GT video card. No resolution.
2. Ran MEMTEST for close to 24 hours. No errors reported.
3. Removed the 8500GT. No resolution.

Still randomly crashing to BSOD, sometimes while active, most times when when at idle.

Event viewer: Not really sure where to look for any indicators. Under Windows logs>Application , there were several information entries from Windows Error reporting EventName:Bluescreen, with no problem signatures.

In Windows Logs>Security, there are a few Audit Failures, but I can't see a link to the BSOD. In some cases the security audit failure is logged after the application log, sometimes before.

1. - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  2. - <System>
  3. <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing" Guid="{54849625-5478-4994-A5BA-3E3B0328C30D}" />
  4. <EventID>6281</EventID>
  5. <Version>0</Version>
  6. <Level>0</Level>
  7. <Task>12290</Task>
  8. <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  9. <Keywords>0x8010000000000000</Keywords>
  10. <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-03-02T17:32:19.628446500Z" />
  11. <EventRecordID>19305</EventRecordID>
  12. <Correlation />
  13. <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="60" />
  14. <Channel>Security</Channel>
  15. <Computer>Greenfield1</Computer>
  16. <Security />
  17. </System>
  18. - <EventData>
  19. <Data Name="param1">\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\sxs.dll</Data>
  20. </EventData>
  21. </Event>

Anyone able to suggest a next step? This is truly annoying when working on a document, or playing a game, or leaving the system unattended with scheduled tasks in external applications. It has become quite unreliable.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 2, 2013 6:30:46 PM

For the event viewer, most of the errors will show in either the Application logs, or System logs. Look at the time of the logs, and compare to when the BSOD occurred.
Score
March 3, 2013 11:33:38 AM

Thanks aford10 for your continued support. I've been scouring both the application logs and system logs for anything out of the ordinary. Typically, I'm not around when the computer BSOD, so finding the time can be difficult. Both logs have have a lot of information entries, showing normal bootup procedures at startup, and after BSOB entries. Nothing out of the ordinary noted prior to the Windows Error Reporting of the BSOD.

This is one error that show repeatedly:
  1. - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  2. - <System>
  3. <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WMI" Guid="{1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}" EventSourceName="WinMgmt" />
  4. <EventID Qualifiers="49152">10</EventID>
  5. <Version>0</Version>
  6. <Level>2</Level>
  7. <Task>0</Task>
  8. <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  9. <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
  10. <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-03-02T14:09:44.000000000Z" />
  11. <EventRecordID>15979</EventRecordID>
  12. <Correlation />
  13. <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
  14. <Channel>Application</Channel>
  15. <Computer>Greenfield1</Computer>
  16. <Security />
  17. </System>
  18. - <EventData>
  19. <Data>//./root/CIMV2</Data>
  20. <Data>SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99</Data>
  21. <Data>0x80041003</Data>
  22. </EventData>
  23. </Event>

I am suspicious of two incidents with this computer. I have had BSOD prior to these incidents, but the frequency seems to have increased since.

1) I've updated the bios to the most recent version. The bios had a new format which made it awkward to update through the preferred method, so I was forced to use ASUS' EZUpdate, which many say is not preferred. I don't know how to roll back the bios (don't know what was on there originally)

2) A USB plug was damaged when an accessory was yanked out of it. It still works, but if an accessory is put in the wrong way, the USB port is deactivated as a precaution against a power surge.

Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 3, 2013 4:09:27 PM

Any other errors listed around the same time it's crashing?

Go to the start menu-->type CMD and press enter-->a black box should open-->type chkdsk /r -->it'll give you a y/n option-->enterY and press enter. That will schedule a check disk on the next restart, and will try to repair any damaged sectors.

A BIOS flash can cause instability. Was it a beta BIOS?
Score
March 3, 2013 5:30:46 PM

The only other errors, roughly around the time of BSOD, from the System logs are these 5 ....
"The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for FailureActions with the following error:
Access is denied."

"The nvUpdatusService service was unable to log on as .\UpdatusUser with the currently configured password due to the following error:
Logon failure: the specified account password has expired.

To ensure that the service is configured properly, use the Services snap-in in Microsoft Management Console (MMC)."

"The NVIDIA Update Service Daemon service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not start due to a logon failure."

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007f (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000080050033, 0x00000000000406f8, 0xfffff880010bd26c). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 030313-45177-01."

The only error found in the Application section is the one mentioned inmy 8:33AM post.

And an error is found in the Security section:
"Code Integrity determined that the page hashes of an image file are not valid. The file could be improperly signed without page hashes or corrupt due to unauthorized modification. The invalid hashes could indicate a potential disk device error.

File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\sxs.dll "

The BIOS was not a beta ... P8Z77-V PRO BIOS 1805

Will report back with the results of the chkdsk.

Thanks for your help! It is very much appreciated.
Score
March 5, 2013 1:41:45 PM

Hi folks, did a chkdsk on both of my primary drives with no errors. Also did a WD Lifegaurd test on same drives with no reported problems.
Score
March 9, 2013 11:44:20 AM

Here's an update:
I continue to get these random BSODs.
I caught a reference in one today ... iastor.sys

I Googled it, and related the file to RAID drivers.

So ... if I don't know what RAID is, it's unlikely I have it, so could this be the issue?

Any advice of proceeding?

Edit: I have uninstalled Intel Rapid Storage Technology
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 9, 2013 1:27:28 PM

Do you have AHCI turned on in the BIOS? If yes, make sure you have the updated version of the driver.
Score
March 9, 2013 2:01:46 PM

Hi Aford10 ... I checked my bios and yes, AHCI is enabled.
Assuming the latest driver would be available from the MB manufacturer, ASUS, I checked things out.
Are you able to advise what I should install?

Intel Rapid Start Technology Software V2.1.0.1002 for Windows 7/8 32bit & 64bit.

OR

Asmedia SATA Controller Driver V1.3.4.0 for Windows XP/7/8 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

OR

Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V11.1.0.1006 for Windows XP/7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
Intel(R) AHCI/RAID Driver for Windows XP/7 32bit & 64bit.

Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 9, 2013 8:54:55 PM

Under the SATA section, you want:

Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V11.1.0.1006 for Windows XP/7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
Intel(R) AHCI/RAID Driver for Windows XP/7 32bit & 64bit.
File Size 13,47 (MBytes) 2012.04.13 update
Score
March 14, 2013 4:02:27 AM

With fear of being premature, I hestitantly report that I believe the driver update for the SATA has resolved the BSOD problem I had been having.

However, it appears that, from my original post, is still happening on occassion:
"Another oddity ... many times when I initially start my computer, it will cycle on and off randomly before reaching the post stage. The lights and fan will fire up, then shut down. Within seconds, it restarts. It sometimes follows this cycle 4 or 5 times before booting up. There are no status messages associated with this."

I've noticed that in many cases preceeding this occurance, that the computer will post through bios and stop with a message "Overclocking has failed. Press F1 to setup." F1 takes me to bios. I don't overclock, the closest ever being was the "dummy proof" bios setting for speed. I had reverted back to normal long ago.

When I go into bios, and exit with saving without making any changes, will result in a 50/50 chance windows will boot up properly. Eventually it would, but not before cycling through the random number of re-starts.

When I go into bios, restore defaults, exist with changes saved, I will get a "bootmgr missing". I have to go into bios again and re-select the proper HD with windows before it will boot up properly.

I just want to pushg the start button and have windows start without waiting for unknown number of restarts or having to access bios all the time. It takes long enough for the computer to stabilize for use during startup.

Thoughts
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 14, 2013 8:16:15 AM

That definitely sounds like some instability from an overclock, or tweaked BIOS settings. Since you flashed the BIOS, you may need to go thru and adjust some of the settings, such as RAM speeds, and CPU bus speeds and such.
Score
March 14, 2013 11:52:55 AM

Thanks aford10 for your help

... since I know nothing about overclocking, I've never even attempted such (although I wish I had knowledge and confidence), so I wouldn't have know which settings to change or where ... to actually overclock, or to fix a failed overclock attempt.

I figured that if I had inadvertently done something wrong, or that the default built in overclock option failed, reverting back to defaults would resolve the issue. I had this issue before updating the bios, I just wasn't too concerned. But it seems to happen more frequently now.

I guess, my questions now are ... how could the settings have been changed in the first place, and where do I start to look at what needs to be changed?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 14, 2013 12:14:43 PM

I don't want to guess at how they got changed, because it would be just that, a guess.

Start by looking up your RAM specs. It'll list the voltage, timing, speed, etc....make sure the BIOS is set to those same settings. Then do the same for the CPU. Just do a tweak here, and a tweak there. That way, if it seems to improve, or get worse, you'll know which change it was. Just be somewhat careful if you're increasing voltages, as too much can damage the hardware.
Score
March 14, 2013 5:32:22 PM

Hi all, hi aford 10 ....

Just shortly after reviewing your last message, my system went BSOD. :-( I guess problem not solved. What do you think the odds the BSOD is part of what could be a BIOS setting problem?

Anyway ... I went into the BIOS, and have to admit was overwhelmed. I googled RAM timings, and did some self educating on BIOS and timings etc and sadly found myself more confused than not.

If anyone would like to take a look:

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B9EE-tbOy4bJakIzNW9tZUFheXc/edit?usp=sharing

There is a CPU-Z report on my current system, and screenshots of my bios settings. Perhaps someone can find something out of the ordinary which could be contributing to this problem.

I will say in advance, thank you to all those who have taken the time to help.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 14, 2013 8:13:14 PM

What kind/model of RAM do you have?
Score
March 15, 2013 9:00:25 PM

Kingston DDR3 PC3-10700 (667Mhz) 4096Mb
Part #KHX1866C9D3/4GX

In both slot 2 and 4
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 16, 2013 9:04:05 AM

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX660ti; Nvidia GeForce 8500GT

You can't (or not supposed to) pair video cards that are not of the same series. You could have GT 8500 and 8800, though, or GTX660ti and GTX650ti.
Remove the 8500Gt as suggest by aford10 in his first post.

You don't mention the PSU at any time. What is the make and model and total output ?
Score
March 19, 2013 3:53:58 AM

Hi TenPC ...

I had been running the PC without the 8500GT in it (see post from March 2nd above), with no resolution. I can't recall off the top of my head, but I did up my PSU when I got the water cooler. It will be no less than a 1000W, but I a suspect I have a 1200W. Whatever it was, it wasn't cheap. Will report back.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 19, 2013 5:38:49 AM

Try dropping your DRAM RAM timings to 9-9-9 instead of 9-11-9 pictured under primary timings.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 19, 2013 7:45:26 AM

Kingston DDR3 PC3-10700 (667Mhz) 4096Mb
Part #KHX1866C9D3/4GX

http://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search/Default.aspx?D...
According to Kingston, the best ram suited for your Pc would be almost anything EXCEPT the 4GX type so that could very well be your problem.

DDR3 1333 or 1600mhz @1.5v
Score
March 19, 2013 2:26:19 PM

OK, thanks guys.

I have changed the primary timing settings in the bios from 9-11-9 to 9-9-9 as suggested by aford10. Thank you!
(did I do it right? https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9EE-tbOy4bJNlJpbFZZaFFpc0k/edit?usp=sharing)

I have removed the 8500GT in the interim to rule out and contributions may potentially be adding to the problem. And, confirming my PSU: CoolerMaster SilentProM 1000W.

Why would a reputable computer part retailer sell me a MB with inappropriate RAM, especially since they corrected me with my initial RAM selection? Doh!

Fingers crossed!
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 19, 2013 2:50:12 PM

Post back the final results, either good or bad.

Also, what the heck do Pc retailers know about computers? hahaha Actually, they only sell you the stuff, none of them have any PC qualifications or Degrees, they are sales people. Next time ask to see their Certifications as PC repairers.

I was in search of thermal paste a few weeks ago and none of the PC retailers (not repair shops) sales people even knew what was thermal paste or for what purpose it was used. Gosh! I went to 6 PC retailers including Officeworks and JB HiFi. I've still got no spare thermal paste, I'll have to buy online and pay a hefty postage fee.

Your Computer Part reseller, does he do repairs or just sells parts?
Even some PC repair shops also don't know much because the PC world is so ever-changing so quick, they can't keep up with all the mod-cons. Always do your own research prior to buying parts for your PC.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 19, 2013 8:16:40 PM

Look at your installed updates. If you've installed M896358 or security update M890175, remove them.
http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1903&eventno=590...

Reinstall Adobe reader, because adobearmservice was also throwing an error.

Disable the Asus fan control service from starting with windows. You can do that by running msconfig.

Skype was also throwing an error, so you should probably reinstall skype. Use Revo Uninstaller to remove it. Doing a moderate uninstall will scan for registry entries left over, to get a thorough uninstall.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 19, 2013 8:30:12 PM

"Information 3/19/2013 10:36:18 PM SkypeUpdate 101 Service Events Service stopped." Skype Update? How many update do skype send each day?

I'm not real sure, only guessing (as usual) but there seems to be a lot of references to the word "metadata" which is related to the internet browser.
Does it crash when yuo have the browser open?
Does it crash when connected to the internet but nt actually have the browser open?
How many browsers do you have installed?

""The description for Event ID 0 from source DTSAudioSvc cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."
- Audo service, maybe your sound drivers need updating.

Is your Pc part of an intranet or linked with another PC?

Do you have Remote Asistance enabled?

Do you have Microsoft Office installed, is it activated or is it a triasl version that is past its activation date?

If you do not wisdh to answer my Questions, that's okay, you will find your solution in trhis link. -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448
Score
March 20, 2013 4:42:19 AM

Good day gentlemen ...

I really appreciate you hanging on to this issue and offering your expertise to track down a solution. I give you credit for having a lot more patince than I.

I'm anxious to get home later to experiment with the latest round of advice. In the meantime, let me provide some feedback to your latest posts.

TenPC:
"Does it crash when yuo have the browser open?" - No.
"Does it crash when connected to the internet but nt actually have the browser open?" - Hard to say for certian. It seems to pass out whether idle, or connected to the internet (streaming music). Never seem to crash when I am quietly working away.
How many browsers do you have installed? - 3. Firefox (default), Chrome and IE (never used).

Audo service, maybe your sound drivers need updating. - Sound is driven from onboard RealTek. I've been pretty consistent with updating my drivers, but I will certianly check the mobosite to see if an update exists. Oddly, Nvidia installs (•Installs HD Audio v1.3.23.1) some audio related drivers with it's updated driver package. During the install, I don't believe they have an option to skip that component like some of the others. Nvidia does have a beta update out now. Maybe I will try that and see if I can exclude the HD audio component install.

Is your Pc part of an intranet or linked with another PC? - No. It is on a home network though.

Do you have Remote Asistance enabled?- No.

Do you have Microsoft Office installed, is it activated or is it a triasl version that is past its activation date? - - Installed and activated.

you will find your solution in trhis link - Is this applicable to Windows 7 machines?

Aford10:

Will check for, an remove any instance of either Microsoft Updates you pointed out. I'll re-install Adobe Reader, and Disable the fan control. Both easy enough. I rarely use Skype, so I will likely simply uninstall it.

I'll report back.

[/code]
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 20, 2013 7:00:44 AM

Is IE the 64 bit version or 32 bit?
You need the 32 bitversion installed as well if you have the 64 bit version of IE installed, even if you don't use them.

You should make IE as the default but have Firefox as your preferred Primary browser.

There is no 64 bit version of Firefox available (and never will be accordng to Mozilla), but you might find that Firefox 4 is more stable with a 64 bit OS than with version 3.5

Is your PC the Adminstrator Pc for the home network of PC's?

As for that Nvidia HD audio, I've heard (read somewhere) that it tries to connect to the internet for some reason or other, there might be an option in the Nvidia Control Utility to disable that option.

I dislike BETA drivers for the fact that they are BETA drivers and not confirmed as "safe" for the general community to use.

If you have drivers installed for the 8500 GT, you should uninstall them.

Also, check the PC health in your bios for temps and voltages, and rpm of your fanes etc.

In the dark ages, the CPU required a certain volt/amp CPU fan but nowadays that volt/amp is much lower (not the volt just the amp) and the manufacturers of the cpu seem to forgo that specification. It could be that your CPU fan is not providing adequate cooling and te PC shuts down olnly when the cpu usage hits past 50%.
Score
March 20, 2013 7:59:16 AM

I never use IE, but I do know both version are there. Installed with Windows 7, and not being unable to uninstall them, they remain.

Prefer Firefox, even though not 64 bit nor ever will be. I can accept that. Easy enough to make IE deafult, just more of an annoyance when clicking external links.

PC is the administration PC. No other computers are on the home network, except the occassional firing up of an old laptop.

I tend not to use Beta drivers either, but if it means the difference between fixing a chronic problem, I'm willing to try. I'll see first whether I can disable from withinthe Nvidia Control Panel. I don't recall seeing anything to that effect as I'm sure I've already been suspicious of HD audio installed by a graphics product.

No drivers installed for the 8500 exclsive. It uses the same driver provided for the 660.

One of the pictures provided in an earlier shows the values to watch in reference to PC health. I believe they are within acceptable range.

What's odd about your last comment in my case, is that it shuts down when it's least active. It doesn't shut down duriung intensive game play, or multi tasking between several apps. It shuts down mostly in a passive situation, idle most times. I would think temps would be lower. Hopefully my water cooling system is moderating the CPU temperature.

In my March 14th post, I described another anomaly, associated to the originial problem in some way, is not known. I think the cycling of attempted booting coincides with the number of drives I have in the boot menu. Windows is installed on the 5th drive in the list in bios. Often times, when a BSOD happens, a successful reboot fails ... either with a "Bootmgr missing" error, (forcing me into bios to select the proper drive), or "Overclock failure", (forcing me into bios to make no changes, just to exit with out saving and restarting). It is after this that the repeated boot attempts seems to happen. Eventually it takes and loads Windows without issue (albeit sloooowwwww.)
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 20, 2013 8:37:37 AM

MaxArk said:

In my March 14th post, I described another anomaly, associated to the originial problem in some way, is not known. I think the cycling of attempted booting coincides with the number of drives I have in the boot menu. Windows is installed on the 5th drive in the list in bios. Often times, when a BSOD happens, a successful reboot fails ... either with a "Bootmgr missing" error, (forcing me into bios to select the proper drive), or "Overclock failure", (forcing me into bios to make no changes, just to exit with out saving and restarting). It is after this that the repeated boot attempts seems to happen. Eventually it takes and loads Windows without issue (albeit sloooowwwww.)

You have 4 hard drives listed before your boot drive in the BIOS boot order? If it doesn't cause successful boot issues, it will at least slow down the boot process. Your boot drive should be the first boot device.

Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 20, 2013 8:39:56 AM

Whenever the system restarts and stops at the POST page and a message states that tthe bios has changed or something, or overclokcing failed then always go into the BIOS, then just Save and Exit. The bios occasionally needs a hard save done manually.

Water cooling system..any leaks? Probably not otherwise you would see water streaming out onto your dektop of your desk.

You did mention earlier that the issue occurred druring streaming of music, there might be something in that, the CPU might be over boosting, can you see your cpu usage using the Sidebar CPU Gadgett? Anything over 90% would be some sort of concern, perhaps.

You also mention the use of other operating systems, what do you have installed, where, are they on separate hdd's or in partition drives? Is linux or similar one of your operating systems? Is your Win 7 x64 actually onits own drive or do you have it partitioned alongside an earlier OS, on the same hdd?

I don't think it matters where you have the hdd in the sata ports, unless the motherboard has some sort of issue with the 5th slot, that might be reserved for raid between 0 and 5 sata. You should have the preferred OS as the Primary boot device, though, set in the BIOS.

Are all the hdd Sata 2 or Sata 3, any Pata hdd? Any SSD? any other devices like scsi zip drives or a 15 all in one sd card reader?

In refernce to the audio, perhaps try disabling the BIOS optin for the onboard audio (before disabling the Nvidia HD audio) and see if you get any sound output.. The HD audio might only be something like a codec and not an actual driver, though. Ill do some research and find out. I got a Sony Vaio notebook (2005) where the audio out is barely audible even using an amplifier on full volume, I'm thinking that the audio driver for it actually uses the network card, I'm still researching that one, very time consuming. The only other reference I seem to find for my notebook is that is uses an audio SoundMax 4 driver from Poland (no English version!! Sound Max 5 gives BSoDs, have to use Soundmax 4 only.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 20, 2013 9:33:25 AM

"High Definition Audio (HDA) High definition audio brings consumer electronics quality sound to the PC delivering high quality sound from multiple channels. Using HDA, systems can deliver 192 kHz/32-bit quality for eight channels, supporting new audio formats."

The version best suited to the GT660ti is HD Audio v1.3.18.0
I think a Beta version or any other later version not specific to your video card will cause problems.
GeForce GTX 660 Ti Driver - 305.68-whql - GeForce R304 Driver
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-305.68...

Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.6657 for Windows 7/8 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
http://ca.asus.com/en/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8...

What I was referring to in my last post about disabling the bios realtek, was that it might be interferring with the Nvidia HDMI/Audio but if that is not is use, no cable attached, then the Realtek would be your audio out, to external Speakers.

Audio Input for HDMI...internet, I know nothing of this feature, even after reading countless pages, it's still a mystery. Not real sure if you can use it for audio out or whether it is only audio in then the audio out is from the reaktek drivers to your audio jacks then to speakers..

Soryy to have you go through all of this, I hope it results in some sot of resolution in some way however, it is a good discussion topic, I just wished that others would have partaken a bit mor interest and added more comments. Usually I get rebuked on nearly evrey post hahaha.
Score
March 20, 2013 2:22:24 PM

Update:

"Look at your installed updates. If you've installed M896358 or security update M890175, remove them." - Is this how I will see them? I did not see any direct reference to M######, just alot of KB####'s. Safe to assume I do not have them installed?

"Reinstall Adobe reader, because adobearmservice was also throwing an error." - Uninstalled for now using Revo.

"Disable the Asus fan control service from starting with windows. You can do that by running msconfig." - I wasn't able to find this here to disable. Did find a lot of unknown oddballs ... "Delayed Launcher", "HD Audio Background Process"? Big list of startup items, with the majority already disabled. Disabled several other things ... Registry Repair Wizard, Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager, RIMBBLaunchAgent, ...

'Skype was also throwing an error, so you should probably reinstall skype. Use Revo Uninstaller to remove it. Doing a moderate uninstall will scan for registry entries left over, to get a thorough uninstall." - Gone and cleaned.

As suggested, if I can figure out how, I will re-prioritize my SATA drives in the BIOS, if anything, to save time.

And, in reply to TenPC's messages:

"Overclock failed" message at post? Next time I will save and exit rather than discard changes and exit.
No water cooling leaks.
When I mentioned streaming, I am referring to being the recipient. Incoming, with Winamp, not outgoing. Does not appear to be any strain on the computer.
Only one OS ... Windows 7 64bit on an unpartitioned drive (c:) 
All HDD SATA2, not SSD, PATA(?), zip or other. WHen I have a USB key in, BIOS identifies it as a UEFI drive in the boot sequence.
There was nothing in the Nvidia Control Panel to disable whatever this HD Audio thing is. I also could not find any reference to disabling the onboard audio in the BIOS, but I will look again.

HD Audio v1.3.23.1 was installed with the last certified driver release for the 660ti. I do not recall there being an option to exclude it in the installation. I'm contemplating uninstalling my NVidia drivers and reinstalling just to see if I can avoid the installation of HD Audio v1.3.23.1. I'm not suggesting I install the latest Beta, but re-install the latest whql available ... 314.07.

RealTek driver has already been updated to the latest version you posted.

I have the most basic of sound. Wire out of the green jack at the back to my speakers. Any reference to sound devices is "RealTek".

"Soryy to have you go through all of this, I hope it results in some sot of resolution in some way however, it is a good discussion topic, I just wished that others would have partaken a bit mor interest and added more comments. "

I cannot express how grateful I am that there are some that have unselfishly chosen to stick with me through this to find a solution. It is frustrating, and discouraging ... but anytime someone follows up with another option, I'm given hope again. I'm really excited about some day soon being able to label this solved and express my utmost gratitude.

Thanks or the help folks!
Score
March 20, 2013 6:27:35 PM

Shortly after making the changes mentioned above ... I received a BSOD. Actually, received it while shutting down as part of solidifying the changes. After recovery, at some unsupervised time, it BSOD's and recovered itself.

Between then and posting this message, I uninstalled several applications that may have recently been installed (Blackberry Software for example) that will periodically access the internet. I uninstalled my Nvidia driver package, and downloaded and re-installed that latest whql version, 314.07. I custom installed it to exclude the HD audio and 3D visualization drivers which are redundant.

Although I could not disable the fan control through msconfig, I did disable CPU and chassis "Q-Fan Controls" through BIOS. I believe by doing this the fan speeds are constant as opposed to variable. Seems like the only drawback is noise.

While in BIOS, I investigated the drive priority. There is a boot menu, which displays the order of boot devices, but is not intended as a means of re-organizing them. The one with my OS on it is #5 ... it should be #2. I looked through the advanced section of BIOS, but the closest to HDD configuration was in the SATA area where basically I can enable or disable various SATA connections, not re-order them. Will it be necessary for me to physically move around the cables to re-order them?

I will keep you posted on the success of the recent changes.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 20, 2013 8:14:52 PM

There should be an option for HDD priority. That's where you can choose which hard drive it looks at first. The boot priority will have the type of boot device, and order. The hard drive should probably be 1st or 2nd (some like having a removable media as first boot device).

What was the error listed in the event viewer that corresponds to the time the PC BSOD'd?
Score
March 20, 2013 8:50:55 PM

Hi aford10 ...

Yeah ... I was looking for that type of interface in the bios, I mean it sounds simple enough, but I was at a loss. The BIOS has a nice user interface, EZ setup or something it's called. I have screenshots of all the available options in that bios layout, if yu happen to take a peek and see it, let me know. The other option I gues is to find the old skool bios interface ... I believe I saw an option to use it instead.

The 1st BSOD I encountered during shutdown after I made updates happened around 4:30. This is the only entry indicating a potential problem prior to that time.

Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category
Error 3/20/2013 4:26:52 PM VSS 8194 None "Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
Gathering Writer Data

Context:
Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
Writer Name: System Writer
Writer Instance ID: {8b469291-1cce-4500-a528-01b7095b46d1}"
Score
March 22, 2013 4:19:44 PM

Well folks ... I think I'm going to throw in the towel and admit defeat. PC 1 - MaxArk 0. After following the advice given, and uninstalling several applications, and reinstalling drivers .... I again encountered BSOD and reboot. I went all day yesterday without problem, but was patient to declare victory. I knew it was too good to be true.

Within 50 minutes of my PC being on, I lost it. Here is the contents of my error reporting log ....

1. Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category
  2. Error 3/22/2013 5:46:42 PM Microsoft-Windows-WMI 10 None "Event filter with query ""SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA ""Win32_Processor"" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99"" could not be reactivated in namespace ""//./root/CIMV2"" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."
  3. Error 3/22/2013 5:46:23 PM Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting 1001 None The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007f (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000080050033, 0x00000000000406f8, 0xfffff800030c4024). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 032213-37081-01.
  4. Error 3/22/2013 5:46:04 PM Service Control Manager 7006 None "The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for FailureActions with the following error:
  5. Access is denied."
  6. Error 3/22/2013 5:46:00 PM Service Control Manager 7006 None "The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for FailureActions with the following error:
  7. Access is denied."
  8. Error 3/22/2013 5:45:57 PM Microsoft-Windows-Eventlog 1101 Event processing Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0
  9. Critical 3/22/2013 5:45:29 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power 41 (63) The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
  10. Error 3/22/2013 5:45:49 PM EventLog 6008 None The previous system shutdown at 5:42:30 PM on ‎3/‎22/‎2013 was unexpected.
  11. Error 3/22/2013 5:06:38 PM Microsoft-Windows-WMI 10 None "Event filter with query ""SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA ""Win32_Processor"" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99"" could not be reactivated in namespace ""//./root/CIMV2"" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."
  12. Error 3/22/2013 5:06:04 PM Service Control Manager 7006 None "The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for FailureActions with the following error:
  13. Access is denied."
  14. Error 3/22/2013 5:05:57 PM Service Control Manager 7006 None "The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for FailureActions with the following error:
  15. Access is denied."
  16. Error 3/22/2013 5:05:40 PM Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client 1002 Address Configuration State Event The IP address lease 192.168.1.101 for the Network Card with network address 0xC86000E2AE45 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).
  17. Warning 3/22/2013 5:35:11 AM Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig 4001 None "WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped.
  18. "
  19. Error 3/22/2013 5:35:08 AM Service Control Manager 7006 None "The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for FailureActions with the following error:
  20. Access is denied."

I did however manage to change my boot priority! At least there was some good out of all this.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 22, 2013 4:29:16 PM

Have you ever had any viruses on the PC? With all those access denied errors, I wonder if it's something with your profile permissions. You could create a new local admin user.
Score
March 22, 2013 8:24:12 PM

I have had a virus (Canadian Police Cybercrime Investigation Department Ransomware/Virus) a long time ago and felt it had been cleaned thoroughly. Took a long time. Is it complicated to create a new local admin user? Will their be any consequences as far as the functionality of my PC goes by doing so?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 23, 2013 2:28:55 AM

Nope, no consequences, it's pretty easy to do. You can leave your current profile in tact.

If you go to the control panel-->user accounts-->manage user accounts-->add a new user, and make it an administrator. Then you'll want to restart the PC, and choose to sign in with the new profile.
Score
March 23, 2013 6:13:31 AM

Good day aford10 ...

I'll give that a try. Tried so much of everything else ... maybe this will be the golden ticket.
I'll certainly keep the thread updated.
Score
!