File Manager

pipsywiggins

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2007
I am completely baffled. About four months after I bought my new Dell computer OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
System Model Studio XPS 435MT
System Type x64-based PC

And several months after installing Windows 7 I noticed that some of my folders in my specific user account were no longer accessible. Also some of the folders in the "all user" folder were also not available.
My folder name for my documents and settings under the main Folder "user" is called trixie. Whenever I click on the trixie folder, it opens up the subfolders of typical variety. When I click on the following subfolders it will give me an error pop-up and not allow me to enter that folder. The error says that it is not accessible. Access is denied. I must click ok before I can choose another. The folders affected are:
Application Date Cookies, Local Settings, My Documents, Net Hood , Print Hood
Recent, Send To, Start Menu, Templates
All other folders will open when clicked upon.
Of note, I also have an HP computer that was purchased the year before this one that I also installed Windows 7 . It does not do this when clicking on folders in the user folder. They have the same programs installed. These are no system folders affected.

This is completely normal. Notice that those folders you were trying to access have little shortcut icons beside them, rather than a standard folder icon? Those were put in place by Microsoft to maintain compatibility with older application installers. They are necessary because many old installers are looking for different folder paths (for example in the User profile folder, "Documents", instead of "My Documents"). Rather than forcing developers to re-write their application installers, or write operating system specific installers, these special shortcuts were put in place to re-direct the installer to the correct location (similar, but not limited to the example above) when trying to extract the necessary files for the program.

If you still have a Windows Vista machine kicking around, or know anyone that still has it installed, you'll notice those same special shortcuts in place there too.