Sign in with
Your question
Solved

32bit and 64bit question

Last response: in Windows 7
February 17, 2013 9:44:23 PM

Hi there,

I am currently running Windows 7 on a 32bit computer.

I understand the differences between the two (32 & 64). However...

I would like to install Adobe AE (Which requires a 64-bit system)...

I checked my PC and it says
64-bit capable | Yes

So, here's my question... Can I go ahead and install this program, and have it all working fine... or will it NOT work at all?

Thank you in advance :D  :hello: 

More about : 32bit 64bit question

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 17, 2013 9:48:07 PM

hardware can be 64 bit compatible, but the operating system declares what bit is running. for windows, you have to use a virtual machine and have a 64 biot operating system ready.
February 17, 2013 9:52:21 PM

dudewitbow said:
hardware can be 64 bit compatible, but the operating system declares what bit is running. for windows, you have to use a virtual machine and have a 64 biot operating system ready.

Wow, that was fast!

May I ask what a virtual machine is? Can I do that on my computer? Can I not just somehow change my computer into thinking that it's running 64bit, because it is 64 bit Capable? Thank you

(I will vote for top answer) :sol: 
Related resources
February 17, 2013 9:58:28 PM

A virtual machine (like VMware) is a program that allows you to run another windows inside your computer. But you need to have another copy of windows for the virtual machine to emulate.

(This is as far as I know, I could be wrong, or there could be other programs that allow other stuff.) =]
Hope this helped.
February 17, 2013 9:59:25 PM

Best answer selected by DariusG1996.
February 17, 2013 10:00:09 PM

zxmpro29 said:
A virtual machine (like VMware) is a program that allows you to run another windows inside your computer. But you need to have another copy of windows for the virtual machine to emulate.

(This is as far as I know, I could be wrong, or there could be other programs that allow other stuff.) =]
Hope this helped.

Oh okay then never mind :??:  hahah I'll just download Sony Vegas Pro 12 instead :D 

Thank you! :D 
a b $ Windows 7
February 17, 2013 10:13:00 PM

A virtual machine doesn't emulate Windows. A virtual machine manager or environment emulates the hardware that an operating system runs on and is in control of. A virtual machine can be of almost any operating system, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Linux, etc. The operating system that has been virtualized thinks it's running on a motherboard, but in reality it is being fooled by the virtual environment. It is really running on top of, or inside of, another operating system, called the Host operating system.
!