32bit and 64bit question

DariusG1996

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Hi there,

I am currently running Windows 7 on a 32bit computer.

I understand the differences between the two (32 & 64). However...

I would like to install Adobe AE (Which requires a 64-bit system)...

I checked my PC and it says
64-bit capable | Yes

So, here's my question... Can I go ahead and install this program, and have it all working fine... or will it NOT work at all?

Thank you in advance :D :hello:

Solution
hardware can be 64 bit compatible, but the operating system declares what bit is running. for windows, you have to use a virtual machine and have a 64 biot operating system ready.

DariusG1996

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

Wow, that was fast!

May I ask what a virtual machine is? Can I do that on my computer? Can I not just somehow change my computer into thinking that it's running 64bit, because it is 64 bit Capable? Thank you

(I will vote for top answer) :sol:

zxmpro29

Honorable
May 16, 2012
A virtual machine (like VMware) is a program that allows you to run another windows inside your computer. But you need to have another copy of windows for the virtual machine to emulate.

(This is as far as I know, I could be wrong, or there could be other programs that allow other stuff.) =]
Hope this helped.

DariusG1996

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

Oh okay then never mind :??: hahah I'll just download Sony Vegas Pro 12 instead :D

Thank you! :D

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
A virtual machine doesn't emulate Windows. A virtual machine manager or environment emulates the hardware that an operating system runs on and is in control of. A virtual machine can be of almost any operating system, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Linux, etc. The operating system that has been virtualized thinks it's running on a motherboard, but in reality it is being fooled by the virtual environment. It is really running on top of, or inside of, another operating system, called the Host operating system.