AMD'S MULTIPROCESSOR PLATFORM CERTIFIED

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.amdmb.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98242" target="_new">click</A>

<b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> for <b>THGC</b> Mascot!!!

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.amdmb.com/#News-3842" target="_new">click</A> -- the <i>real</i> URL (though it's liable to change again).

Funny, isn't this the platform FUGGER kept calling buggy and unstable?

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kelledin on 01/31/02 11:34 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
but it's even more funny how AMD platforms take so long to be certified, they must've went thru countless of setups before deciding.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Ummm...yeah. That's part of any platform being certified, it has to go through countless setups. The fact that it went through those countless setups and passed proves that it's a rock-solid platform.

Keep in mind that Intel CPUs were never really considered server-worthy until the Pentium Pro came along. :tongue:

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

G

Thank you for pointing that out, 8 years is a long time to be a tested, tried, and true server platform.

-Spuddy

:lol: Go Ahead Peel Me. I Dare Ya" :lol:

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Considering that the platform in question has been out less than a year and already has this kind of support, a lot of people must be interested in it. Plus, it must be one very stable platform...

You know what's really funny though? I see no such certification for the Pentium IV or the Pentium IV Xeon on Covalent's site.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I certified charmin to be used as my toilet paper, think I need to write a press release?

I wear Nike shoes, here comes another press release.

Most people have NFC who "<A HREF="http://www.covalent.com/products/" target="_new">Covalent Technologies</A> and <A HREF="http://www.zeus.com/products/" target="_new">Zeus Technology</A>" are, and probably never heard of them. I love how they didnt even link to them =P some gratitude for you.

side note: Hi Apache based web server software!

Oh yea, Im looking for the AMD article where they say to use the XP processor in the MP motherboard during this shortage and they will honor the warranty.

This is the same MP processor they charge you a premium for and as far as anyone can tell its the same thing as a XP.

Editor: "ok guys its the end of the month and we have nothing. Lets pump ourselves up and end this month with something good, what do we have?"
Journalist: "all we have is 2 companies that certified MP as a platform that their software can finally run on, I think."
Editor: Ok go with it!

next?

Someone help me up please, I fell down laughing hysterically.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I certified charmin to be used as my toilet paper, think I need to write a press release?

I wear Nike shoes, here comes another press release.
Seems AMD is more worthy of a press release than Intel...

side note: Hi Apache based web server software!
Don't knock Apache, it's the most widely used web server in existence. :tongue:

Oh yea, Im looking for the AMD article where they say to use the XP processor in the MP motherboard during this shortage and they will honor the warranty.
Please don't give us a bogus link to a Chinese hacker story this time.

P.S. There's only one <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/30010210.htm" target="_new">shortage</A> I've heard of. Funny how one of the biggest resellers for PC parts apparently can't get enough Northwoods supplied.

Probably the same reason that the AthlonXP 2000+ had thirteen PriceWatch vendors on launch day, and the Northwood had only two or three. Can we say paper launch?

This is the same MP processor they charge you a premium for and as far as anyone can tell its the same thing as a XP.
Sort of like the Willamette Xeon is the same thing as the Willamette Socket478, just a different socket format and a price premium for being able to go SMP.

And guess who non-Xeon P4 users will have to go to for SMP support?

...<A HREF="http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=321321" target="_new">VIA!</A>

Yes, I liked that bit too.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Quoting the inquirer again...shame on you.

Nothing wrong with Apache web server, but some people might be confused thinking these companies actually build systems and use/recomend AMD MP.

Like Meltdown said, grats certified 1 year later. we are impressed.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Quoting the inquirer again...shame on you.
More often than not, the inquirer is right. Besides which, they have rather more credibility than you. Sorry if that's twisting the knife, but it's the sad truth.

some people might be confused thinking these companies actually build systems and use/recomend AMD MP.
You mean like <A HREF="http://www.linuxnetworx.com/news/1.18.2002.48-New_AMD_760-MPX.html" target="_new">Linux NetworX</A>? Their AthlonMP clusters seem to be fairly popular. :tongue:

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
WOOHOO! This is entertaining. I cant wait for Fuggers fuggin lame reply. Its a shame Fugger, you seem to know alot to be so blindly pro one company without looking at the facts =/

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

MadCat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
"... Oh yea, Im looking for the AMD article where they say to use the XP processor in the MP motherboard during this shortage and they will honor the warranty. ..."

Better back that statement up with credible links if you want us to believe that. You're not a trustworthy source of information.

"... This is the same MP processor they charge you a premium for and as far as anyone can tell its the same thing as a XP. ..."

I believe the Athlon MP processors undergo more tests to become SMP certified. But AMD is allowed to charge whatever they think the target market will bear. Intel does, so why not AMD?

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This thread is about AMD being certified to run Apache web server software. I understand how thrilled you are in this huge breakthrough.

Your an AMD lemming, the Inquirer is your bible. How can argue with that? So when your not on the net, you read national inquirer too? they are just as good of source for hot off the press information. I saw elvis in my corn flakes this morning.

The truth hurts you guys bad it seems, the best you can do is insult me. you girls never change.

Were not talking about Linux NetworX, and no they are not popular at all. were talking about 2 companies with re-engineer Apache web server. "most powerful clustering solutions on the planet" AHAHAHAHAHAHAAH, oh god Im back on the floor again.

The MP and XP have the same core, the XP is supposed to have logic that prohibits use in MP scenario, correct?. it seems AMD has not implimented it or just plain stupid. I pick the option #2.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Im still looking, keep your dress on.

I turn my back for a minute and the lemmings chime in like clockwork, not really adding anything usefull to this thread, just typical yesman mentality *cough*matisaro*cough*

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
the best you can do is insult me. you girls never change.
Let's see, I slammed Intel, and you took that as an insult to yourself? WTG.

When I informed you of your credibility, I was stating a rather harsh reality. I even apologized pre-emptively for "twisting the knife." Seeing as you're the one who completely blew your credibility, I don't see that you can have any legitimate problem with that statement.

Your an AMD lemming, the Inquirer is your bible. How can argue with that?
RoTFL LoLoL, calling theinquirer.net an "AMD lemming" bible is outright ludicrous. If you only read theinquirer.net a little more, you might actually find a great deal of anti-AMD ammo as well. And whether it was provable or just fanciful rumor, we all know you'd try to use it all the same. But you apparently don't even notice it, and that's your loss.

The truth hurts you guys bad it seems, the best you can do is insult me.
You don't exactly specialize in "truth."

Back in 1Q01, you kept trying to tell us the AMD760MP didn't exist even in usable prototype, it wasn't even going to be stable when it was released, etc. even when there were verified accounts of people running rock-solid prototype 760MP platforms with T-birds.

Not to mention these were the same T-birds you kept insisting were not SMP-capable. Then the 760MP was released, and AnandTech proved that T-birds in fact could run in SMP mode on the 760MP. That was pretty damn funny too. :lol:

You kept trying to tell us the AthlonMP+760MP platform was unstable. There were countless reliable sources refuting that claim, and the best linkage you could provide was a completely irrelevant Chinese hacker story. Nice going there.

You kept telling us that AMD would have to revise their PR rating once Northwood came out. Guess what, Northwood is out, and AMD's PR rating is still valid. In fact, it's still even conservative; an AthlonXP 2000+ still defeats a Nortwhood 2.0A. Perhaps you cracked your magic 8-ball by accident? :wink:

The MP and XP have the same core, the XP is supposed to have logic that prohibits use in MP scenario, correct?. it seems AMD has not implimented it or just plain stupid.
1) AMD never claimed to prohibit SMP on AthlonXP's. They just said it wasn't tested on XP's, and they wouldn't support it.

2) Intel has claimed for a long time that Celerons are "uniprocessor only." By your logic, Intel is "just plain stupid" as well. Whoops!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I don't like the way Fugger worded his post but he does have a point, the Inquirer is a bunch of biased garbage. Just look at their "argument" with Intel about Heat vs. Performance vs. Frequency. It's truly garbage.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Granted, Inquirer isn't 100% reliable. I don't know if it's sheer luck or what, though, but biased or not, they seem to be right a great deal of the time. And they <i>do</i> take the time to post bad news/rumors about AMD as well.

Come to think of it, I could probably get in touch with one of the TechData contacts from a former employer, just to see for myself what the Northwood supply is. If TechData can't keep up supplies, then something's really not kosher.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I turn my back for a minute and the lemmings chime in like clockwork, not really adding anything usefull to this thread, just typical yesman mentality *cough*matisaro*cough*

Just supporting kelledin in his thorough insulting and humiliation of you fugger.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I don't like the way Fugger worded his post but he does have a point, the Inquirer is a bunch of biased garbage. Just look at their "argument" with Intel about Heat vs. Performance vs. Frequency. It's truly garbage.

The inquirer and the register slam anyone who they disagree with atm, ive seen them slander amd and intel, they are pretty unbiased.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

MadCat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
"... not really adding anything usefull to this thread, ..."

You think you're adding anything useful to this thread? All I see are rants from you that looks like a lame attempt to distort the truth.

"... I turn my back for a minute and the lemmings chime in like clockwork, not really adding anything usefull to this thread, just typical yesman mentality *cough*matisaro*cough* ..."

My response came straight from the heart. That's how I feel about the statements you've made.