Sign in with
Your question

Freeze up

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2002 8:03:22 PM

When im not playing games my computer seems to be fine but when i go and play a game for awhile my computer will either freeze and whatever last sound it played it will play over and over like it is skipping until i hit the reset button. Or sometimes when im playing a game out of no where my computer will restart on its own... Anyone know the what the problem could be? If you need my specs just tell me. thanks Chris

More about : freeze

January 31, 2002 8:32:25 PM

AMD + SB live + Via chipset?

We have no clue about what machine you own, more info please.
January 31, 2002 8:51:20 PM

Hehe, well, that VIA+ SBLive issue has nothing to do with AMD because VIA had similar problems with their P3 chipsets, but, in any case, I've never had much faith in VIA.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2002 8:51:46 PM

sorry about that... i have a
k7v-soyo dragon plus
amd athlon xp 1900
sb live
gf3
56x cd rom
ether net card
ata 100 hd
miss anything?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2002 9:56:56 PM

So my Sb live could be having problems with my via chipset?
January 31, 2002 10:01:41 PM

Possibly, but I doubt it. The problem apparently hasn't bit anyone in ages.

Since it happens only with games, have you tried the Athlon+Win2K+AGP regpatch? I believe the regpatch applies to both WinXP and Win2K.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?
January 31, 2002 10:07:28 PM

ANOTHER soyo dragon... what is it with those boards?

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :) 
January 31, 2002 10:11:49 PM

Not sure. I personally have never had much respect for Soyo...it could be my lack of respect is well-placed.

I'm an EPoX man myself.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?
January 31, 2002 10:33:53 PM

brands have to earn my respect.

dont care much for gigabyte after my truly shocking tnt2pro.
asus could do alot better, rely too much on their name
iwill is good, shame the ide/overclocking fried it. but iffy about the latest bios though... complete piece of trash! lucky i had a backup otherwise i owuldnt have been able to boot. at all. for anything
leadtek are also good, judgin by my graphics card and that new mobo they have.
and the rest? havnt tried em yet.

do love my mocrosoft optical explorere3.0 mouse though... their operating system may suck, but the do good peripherals.

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :) 
January 31, 2002 11:41:21 PM

Thats cuz they dont make any of them, they relabel em =)

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
January 31, 2002 11:42:26 PM

I like Tyan and Abit!

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
January 31, 2002 11:43:58 PM

I win a prize?

Based on vague description I scored 3 of 3!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2002 12:05:15 AM

You Post...: have you tried the Athlon+Win2K+AGP regpatch? I believe the regpatch applies to both WinXP and Win2K.

im Using 98 is this a problem?
February 1, 2002 12:25:48 AM

Not for Win98. The AGP patch only applies to Win2K and WinXP.

Next thing I'd wonder about is your Detonator drivers.

What version of the drivers are you using?

If you are using nVidia reference drivers, consider switching to manufacturer-specific drivers. This fixed a whole host of problems with my old GeForce+PII system.

Next thing I'd try is have <A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com" target="_new">Motherboard Monitor</A> log your voltages and temperature readings over a period of time. Leave it logging and start one of your games. Play until it crashes. Once it reboots, examine the log that Motherboard Monitor leaves behind.

If your CPU temperature frequently breaks 55C, your CPU may be locking up to do overheating. If your case temperature breaks 30C, your GeForce 3 card or your SBLive! card may be overheating (both are warm-running cards). If your voltages fluctuate a great deal, you've got an insufficient power supply.

February 1, 2002 12:32:39 AM

Quote:

I win a prize?

Based on vague description I scored 3 of 3!

huh? I don't understand what you're talking about. Please elaborate.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
February 1, 2002 12:40:33 AM

i really wish him luck for problem solving in winDOZE 98.
[grumbles]lump of shite[/grumbles]

February 1, 2002 1:58:03 AM

I would guess a heat problem too, or P/S or up the volts.

What AGP patch only applies to Win2K and WinXP. Are you talking about? From the mobo sight or nvidia?
February 1, 2002 9:40:19 AM

I did not know that, thanks. I'll have to see if it helps my Win2000.
February 1, 2002 3:30:26 PM

I guessed he has the AMD w/Via Chipset
and a SB live based upon his description in his first post.

And now the guessing begins on how to fix it.

start with pulling the sb live to see if freezing stops.
February 1, 2002 5:35:22 PM

from one of my previous posts.

<i>This works for me. clean install of Via, nVidia, and DirectX.

To do a clean install of Via 4-in-1's use the latest installer. When prompted to install each component select the "Uninstall" option. When done DO NOT REBOOT. Just run the installer a second time and let the components install.

To do clean install of the Detonators get a copy of Detonator Destroyer. (Right now I don't know where you can get it because Guru3D.com is out of service. Supposedly they will be back at the end of this week). Do a normal uninstall of the nVidia drivers via Control Panel then run Detonator Destroyer to clean up the extraneous files.

DirectX can be uninstalled with DirectX Uninstaller but it is hard to find. If you do find it best results are had when the .inf file (that's all it is) is installed in Windows Safe Mode. Use Right-Click to install an .inf file.

I recommend you do ALL of the above clean installs whenever you change any of the following: BIOS, 4-in-1 drivers, nVidia Detonator, Direct X. This just eliminates so many problems, including poor performance, 3D crashes, resolution and color depth problems, blinking cursor on a black screen and others.

Update:

The old DirectX Uninstaller link, www.ebrink.com, now points to a new site, <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/firecat182/" target="_new">http://www.geocities.com/firecat182/&lt;/A>, with a new utility DirectX Eradicator.

I haven't tested this new utility (so you're on your own) but where DirectX Uninstaller only worked for Windows 9x/ME, DirectX Eradicator claims to work for Win2K as well (but not Windows XP).</i>

<b>Update #2:</b>

<A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com" target="_new">http://www.guru3d.com&lt;/A> is back on-line. You can get Detonator Destroyer there.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>
February 1, 2002 9:42:34 PM

If you want to know if it is the sound card, then remove it, go to the Soyo site, download the latest drivers for the onboard sound, enable it in the bios, install the drivers and play.

Onboard sound is disabled in bios, doesnt it? I have this board and I can play as long as I want without crashing.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2002 2:12:18 PM

Your description is EXACTLY what I was seeing on my Win98 Athlon 800 system. I changed everything... The motherboard became an Intel 815 chipset instead of VIA. The processor became a Celeron 850. I took out the 128 Mb RAM and put in 256. I finally bought a GeForce Mx400 video card to replace the ATI All in Wonder Radeon. Guess what? Nothing fixed it. I tried loading 2000 figuring it was 98 and it started crashing so much that I almost couldn't get thru the install of 2000. I started to feel really stupid even though I'm a network tech.

I finally realized that the ONE thing that I never changed was the USB to PS/2 adapter on my Logitech Optical mouse. I stuck the mouse in the USB port directly and this machine has turned into one of the most solid systems I've ever had, even with the Radeon put back in there. With the adapter on there, I couldn't even hit Shut Down, Restart because it would blue screen. I usually couldn't hit the Reset button either. The reset button would reboot it, but the PS/2 ports would both be dead afterwards. I didn't realize this part until I tried loading 2000 because 98 just crashes with dead PS/2 ports.

But before all that, it was just like you said...the computer would run forever idling. If I started playing Diablo II it was like a time bomb. The last sound would repeat over and over sometimes or the PC would lock up or even reboot itself. Half the time it wouldn't even boot all the way.

Of all the parts I took out, the VIA chipset Microstar motherboard DID turn out to be especially fried but apparently it wasn't the source of my lockups.
!