VM question

mac29

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Say I get an i5 system down the road. If I've switched over to Linux and run my Windows 7 and XP in a VM, I know I need the MS licenses. If my 7 and XP are 'locked' to my current system, when I run 7 or XP in a VM under linux will the VM "throttle" performance to what hardware those licenses were installed on? Or is that ridiculous?

I imagine that's how I'll run Windows in the future and want to be sure how MS and these VMs work as I haven't tried it yet. Even if I connected my old hard drives via USB, for old saved games, it would be great if the process was seamless and if nothing curtailed newer hardware.

Thanks,

Mac

Solution

Not sure by what you meant my "HAL", but it's fine to run any OS on any VMs as you like. But you will be limited by what you can...

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

First of all, what do you mean by ''locked' to my current system"? Did you bought the retail or OEM version of Windows 7 and XP? And Second, it's not going to throttle the performance when you install a Windows OS on a VM, I don't know which VM software do you use, I personally use VirtualBox (I have Ubuntu, Windows XP Pro 64 bit, and Android OS, they work well on VM), you can adjust the performance by putting more CPU power, and more RAM.

mac29

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
ipwn3r456,

By 'locked' I meant tied to the HAL of my current system. I was thinking it'd be daft for MS to not allow an OS full range of what's available , just because it's running in a VM. But sometimes MS does some funny things. My 7 and XP are both retail (XP is an academic version).

I'm not positive what you mean re: adjust performance by "putting more CPU power and more RAM" but believe you probably mean settings can be racketed up vs. physically installing anything. If so, that's my answer - regardless of which VM I might go with. That will allow me to run windows on whatever I chose.

Thanx.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Not sure by what you meant my "HAL", but it's fine to run any OS on any VMs as you like. But you will be limited by what you can do, such as you can't play games (maybe flash games are fine), nothing graphically intensive, or require DirectX. If you just want to like browse the web, do some word or powerpoint, that's fine.

Solution