Your question

best bang for buck?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2002 9:31:06 PM

hey all,

i currently have a PIII 533B (i think B = 133 FSB?) and am looking to upgrade... i have 128*3 of PC-133 ram, but my POS jetway mobo can go up to 150 FSB and an 8 X multiplier. my mobo has both a slot1 and a socket370... any suggestions on which processor to pick up (celery/PIII) and where i can find one (used is a-ok... its cheaper!)... i'm looking at PIII 1.0Ghz but i heard that some are just 800s overclocked by intel (from what i read here) so they're a bad choice?

thx! chris

More about : bang buck

January 31, 2002 10:17:00 PM

Well the price of 1GHz PIIIs are dropping quite nicely.

They're a 7.5 multiplyer, so thats cool.

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:
January 31, 2002 10:30:38 PM

Best bang for a buck? damn you are stingy. I don't know any girl that desperate! :wink:

<font color=red><i>I refugee from Guatanamo Bay,
dance around the border like I'm Cassius Clay
</i></font color=red>
Related resources
January 31, 2002 11:44:00 PM

HAHA

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2002 3:22:17 AM

are the PIII 1.0s good? like i said i heard that those are bad processors...

and no i don't need that kind of 'bang' for any money... only losers would have to pay for it.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2002 3:26:25 AM

sorry

it was the 1.13 PIIIs that were bad!
February 1, 2002 8:58:31 AM

you can get a p-3 1 ghz retail ( HSF included ) for 116.00 <A HREF="http://www.googlegear.com/ggweb/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?P..." target="_new"> Here </A> pretty darn good bang for the buck IMO

lagger

<b><font color=blue>** Speed 2108(down)/365(up) kbps **
(At least 42 times faster than a 56k modem) </font color=blue>
February 1, 2002 9:05:44 AM

<A HREF="http://www.tcwo.com/" target="_new">http://www.tcwo.com/&lt;/A>

You can get an axp1500+ here for 99$, now THATS bang for your buck.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
February 1, 2002 11:22:56 AM

not since it means another 100.00 bux for a decent motherboard too and probably more $$ for ddr ram .. ( <--nothing against AMD, but this guy just wants a cheap upgrade)

lagger

February 1, 2002 2:08:28 PM

Well, you can get a 1.1 ghz duron for 59$
Add to that an ecsk7s5a for 53$

And you get better performance, AND an upgrade path for less than just the p3 cpu. Now THATS bang for your buck.

(you can use the sdram in the ecs board).

And if ecs isnt to your liking kt133a mobos start at 58 bucks on pricewatch.(since you are reusing the sdram).

February 1, 2002 2:13:20 PM

I'd go with the ECS motherboard anyday as it is VIA-free. I personally don't like VIA too much, especially the KT133A with the 686B southbridge.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
February 1, 2002 2:34:23 PM

Good thing the kt133a is old tech heh, you could get an ali magick if you want to avoid via as well, as it uses sdram too.
The new via chipsets are completely good with 0 issues I have seen.

a b à CPUs
February 1, 2002 9:58:45 PM

Too many gus in here hate Intel. Their are two versions of the PIII 1.0GHz, the 1000E and 1000EB. The 1000EB performs better because it has a 133MHz FSB. It's also MUCH CHEAPER because it's a standard part (the 1000E is a low production upgrade CPU). You can get a 1000EB for around $120, these are good CPU's, and most can be overclocked to at least 1.1GHz. I suspect the 1.70v versions are better than the 1.75v versions because-they probably raised the voltage to 1.75v to make a less stable processor stable.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
February 1, 2002 11:26:20 PM

Let's get one thing straight. I don't hate Intel, I don't even hate the P4, I hate the Willamette. It was an overpriced, underperforming processor. Northwood seems to be changing that however. The P3 series and Northwood, I do like.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2002 12:53:19 AM

Fvck the P4, the Tually is the best Intel solution right now for performance per clock. But telling someone who doesn't know a lot about computers that changing his CPU, motherboard, memory, and power supply to AMD specs is a better value than simply putting in a PIII 1000EB, as some people have, is ludicrous! Especially when you consider the chances of him messing up the installation, the added effort of saving everything and doing a clean install, and the possibility that some of his parts may not be compatable!

February 2, 2002 8:55:33 AM

I dont hate intel either, but spending 120 on a cpu when you can get a faster cpu AND a motherboard for the same price or even a tad bit more seems a waste of money crash.

February 2, 2002 9:00:27 AM

Quote:
You can get an axp1500+ here for 99$, now THATS bang for your buck.

Customer: I want advice on which computer to buy.
Matisaro: AMD AMD AMD.[chant]

Customer: Well to be honest I need a new CPU for my socket 370 system.
Matisaro: AMD AMD AMD [chants louder]

Customer: If fact I can't afford anything, except a CPU & HSF.
Matisaro: AMD AMD AMD [paranoid screams]

Really Matisaro. If you're going to front AMD, do it from a sensible standpoint. I use Intel (Aarrgghh! He's a heathen), but I also have built a couple of AMD systems, and they're cool.

No bias. No worries.

Chill.

February 2, 2002 9:00:55 AM

Quote:
Fvck the P4, the Tually is the best Intel solution right now for performance per clock. But telling someone who doesn't know a lot about computers that changing his CPU, motherboard, memory, and power supply to AMD specs is a better value than simply putting in a PIII 1000EB, as some people have, is ludicrous! Especially when you consider the chances of him messing up the installation, the added effort of saving everything and doing a clean install, and the possibility that some of his parts may not be compatable!

LOL, A he wouldnt have to change his memory and most likely not his powersupply. There is NOTHING ludicrious about my suggestion, no more ludicrious than advising someone to get a cpu with no upgrade path at all.

I will grant you that replacing a mobo is more difficult than swapping cpus, but does not the fact he has to flash his bios to go to the 1ghz count for something, last I checked, flashing a bios, for a computer newbie as you put it, was not simple and was rather dangerous.

I offered a valid second option, which has the BEST bang for your buck performance rating, you dont have to attack my suggestion and call me an intel hater. I would rather have a new motherboard with room to expand and a faster cpu for LESS money, than have just a new cpu with no room for expansion. The swapping mobos is not difficult in the least, and you seem to think that a computer newbie is helpless. If he reads the directions he will be fine.

The person asked for the best bang for his buck, he DID NOT ask for the easiest no hassle upgrade. If you think that a 1ghz p3 for 120 is a better bang for your buck than a new faster mobo and a 1.1ghz duron(which WILL outperform the p3 and you know it)for 115 than you have a strange sense of value.

February 2, 2002 9:01:58 AM

Quote:
and the possibility that some of his parts may not be compatable!

WTF? Thats pure fud, what would be incompatable with an amd board that would work on an intel board!

February 2, 2002 9:03:02 AM

Quote:
CPU, motherboard, memory, and power supply to AMD

A duron@1.1ghz would most likley NOT need a new psu.

He is using the SAME memory, that was one of his requirements, but he will be able to upgrade to ddr when HE chooses.

February 2, 2002 9:06:02 AM

Quote:
Especially when you consider the chances of him messing up the installation, the added effort of saving everything and doing a clean install,

ON the first part, he asked for bang for buck, not ease. However if he follows directions he wont ruin his instalation.

As for effort, that is indeed a negative on my solution, IMO it is not a major negative, certainly not worth the extra cash and lessened performance the p3 solution provides, but I would leave it up to him to decide, so I offered my advice to his question.

The clean install part is untrue, all he would have to do is REINSTALL, windows which leaves his data and programs in tact, and resets his driver systems and configuration to the new motherboard. No need to save data, no fuss no muss.

Anything else crash?

February 2, 2002 9:17:09 AM

Quote:
Customer: I want advice on which computer to buy.
Matisaro: AMD AMD AMD.[chant]

Customer: Well to be honest I need a new CPU for my socket 370 system.
Matisaro: AMD AMD AMD [chants louder]

Customer: If fact I can't afford anything, except a CPU & HSF.
Matisaro: AMD AMD AMD [paranoid screams]

Really Matisaro. If you're going to front AMD, do it from a sensible standpoint. I use Intel (Aarrgghh! He's a heathen), but I also have built a couple of AMD systems, and they're cool.

No bias. No worries.

LOL, can you read, I outlined why a new amd system, a whole system, mobo and cpu was LESS than just a p3 chip. How is that sacrifising the consumers will.

I am not a rabid amd fan, he asked for best bang for the buck, can you find a problem with the system I suggested asides from the added work of putting the mobo in as crash pointed out. CAN YOU?

February 2, 2002 9:18:31 AM

Quote:

Wtf is not sensable about the system I suggested, the amdxp1500 was the best CPU alone bang for the buck, the system I suggested was a MOBO, AND A FASTER CPU FOR LESS THAN THE P3.

Again, before you insult me, perhaps you shoudl read what I posted!

February 2, 2002 9:27:08 AM

To anyone who thinks im attacking intel here, I am not. I have nothing NOTHING against intel, or the p3 line, or the nw(which I would buy if i had money right now).

When someone comes up with this type of upgrade, crash suggests a new p3 or a powerleap adapter, and I give the flip side, a new mobo and amd chip, this is to give the person ALL of the options, the prices on both are always similar.

The fact is, if the new p3 was faster, and or cheaper, than an amd chip AND motherboard, then I would wholeheartedly reccomend the p3 solution, but it is not.

For the 120 the new p3 will cost you can get a motherboard and a 1.1ghz duron, and still have 8 bucks left to play with. This is CLEARLY the best bang for your buck, the ONLY reason not to choose the new mobo route and amd is if you.
A: desperatly need intel OR
B: Dont want to swap out motherboards.

As for A: thats fine, its a personal choice, I wont complain or flame you for it.

AS for B: that is indeed a real issue with my proposed upgrade, and if you dont feel capable, that too is fine, I wont flame you for it. However, that choice is up to the ONE ASKING THE QUESTION. Not other people saying its a reason that my suggestion is bad, if crashman thinks the trouble of swapping the mobo is not worth the added performance and saved money, thats his buisness, and its all good, but the person above who asked what is the best bang for HIS buck, may feel differently, so I suggested what I feel to be the best bang for his buck.

If anyone else wants to debate this with me, refrain from insulting me, and saying im some kind of rabid amd fan, because I am not chanting amd at all costs, im chanting amd for the LEAST cost.

If I suggested a MORE expensive soultion, then perhaps those claims of amd rabidism would be valid, but in EVERY thread like this MY proposed system costed LESS!!!!!! than the proposed p3 upgrade. Unless you think paying less for more performance is a sign of amdrabidism, I would appreciate if you guys layed off the insults.

February 2, 2002 9:30:25 AM

Its a fine system if you want to replace your system.

The guy just wants a CPU upgrade. He probably doesn't want the hassles which can arise form your suggestion. You don't honestly believe an XP, a K7S5A, and a new quality PSU (that combo will need it) is a cheaper option than a new PIII GHz? Honestly???

BTW I saw your posts about the K7S5A. I believe you tried four of them without success. Seems strange to me how you discourage this mobo in some threads and encourage them in others!

Oh. Why do you reply to each post seperatly.

To get back to the point. Shinjiplus: If you are interested in building a new system, go for Mat's solution. Its a good system. If all you want is a new CPU and the less hassles and cost, go for the 1000EB.

February 2, 2002 9:37:06 AM

Quote:
The guy just wants a CPU upgrade. He probably doesn't want the hassles which can arise form your suggestion. You don't honestly believe an XP, a K7S5A, and a new quality PSU (that combo will need it) is a cheaper option than a new PIII GHz? Honestly???

I listed my prices and my selections, duron 1.1ghz and a new motherboard, not an athlon xp, AND I listed the PRICES, which ARE less than the p3.

NO new psu is required, and even if it was he would still be around the same price as the p3.

Again I ask you to READ my posts before you comment on their validity.

Quote:
BTW I saw your posts about the K7S5A. I believe you tried four of them without success. Seems strange to me how you discourage this mobo in some threads and encourage them in others!

Apparently ecs has increased quality control substancially since I purachased mine, and ecs boards either work wonderfly or die right away, It is worth the buy now with the increased QC IMO. And if you do get a dud, its a return away from a new one.

Quote:
Oh. Why do you reply to each post seperatly.

I reply to several different statements other people make, and sometimes I have different counterpoints, so instead of mashing them all into one post I seperate them, its easier on me than just trying to keep track of every point I made.

Quote:
To get back to the point. Shinjiplus: If you are interested in building a new system, go for Mat's solution. Its a good system. If all you want is a new CPU and the less hassles and cost, go for the 1000EB.

Less hassles yes, less cost, no way in hell.

Shinji, if you are interested in the best bang for your buck, and a little extra work dosent frighten you, then go for my suggestion, if you dont want to do the extra work, and dont care about spending extra cash for less performance, get the p3 1000eb.

February 2, 2002 9:38:02 AM

Quote:
and a new quality PSU (that combo will need it)

A duron 1.1 and a new mobo will most likely NOT need a new psu, he didnt read my suggestion so he is misinformed.

February 2, 2002 10:05:31 AM

Okay. I'll cede to the point on the 1.1 duron. I must have mis-read your post.

So lets go onto another. The duron 1.1Ghz is a faster, cooler cheaper option than the PIII GHz? Or just cheaper....

February 2, 2002 10:30:46 AM

Cool, I dont want to fight, and I honestly am not automatically reccomending amd, I am reccomending the best bang for the buck IMO.

OK, to the debate.

Quote:
So lets go onto another. The duron 1.1Ghz is a faster, cooler cheaper option than the PIII GHz? Or just cheaper....

The 1ghz eb is a .18 micron p3, the 1.1ghz duron is the new core, with hardware prefetch and sse, it IS faster than the p3, even if it was not, you can get the 1.2ghz and still be cheaper than the 1ghz p3.

So its cheaper AND faster.

As for cooler, I dont think it is, but thats not a major concern for 2 reasons.
1> if you arent overclocking, then the retail hsf is perfectly fine
2:heat on a 1.1ghz duron is really not an issue.

Now, to interject another point in favor of the duron upgrade, if he purchases a new motherboard and cpu, he will be able to SELL or give away his current mobo and cpu, which would generate additional money to either spend on new ram (if he wanted) or a faster cpu(again if he wanted) or to make a friend or family member happy.

Buying the p3, he would not have a motherboard to give away, and just giving away/selling 450mhz cpu really isnt a viable option.(how many people would want to upgrade TO a 450 heh) but giving away/selling practically a whole computer, would be much easier IMO.

February 2, 2002 12:47:24 PM

I honestly can't argue with that reasoning. Excellent, candid and logical points.

I don't like arguing either, but I will if I feel the other side is simply talking crap.

BTW I still would go for an Intel, but then, only just to annoy you. :tongue: LoL.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2002 12:49:32 PM

will you kids stop arguing?

i have learnt nothing about what the best option is, but it's been entertaining.
February 2, 2002 12:51:54 PM

Oh yes. While I remember...

Quote:
The 1ghz eb is a .18 micron p3, the 1.1ghz duron is the new core, with hardware prefetch and sse, it IS faster than the p3, even if it was not, you can get the 1.2ghz and still be cheaper than the 1ghz p3.

So its cheaper AND faster.

I thought your entire solution would be cheaper than just a CPU?

You can't put the price of <b>only</b> the 1.2 Duron against the PIII in this debate.

That's why I'd go Intel. I know its faster, cooler and in this case :smile: the cheaper option.

Thought I'd reply twice too.

February 2, 2002 1:30:24 PM

Quote:
I thought your entire solution would be cheaper than just a CPU?

You can't put the price of only the 1.2 Duron against the PIII in this debate.

Um, perhaps you misunderstood, if you replace the duron 1.1 WITH the duron 1.2 then the motherboard AND cpu is STILL cheaper, than the p3 solution.

But its a moot point because the 1.1ghz duron IS faster than the 1ghz p3. :-) we clear again?

Quote:
That's why I'd go Intel. I know its faster, cooler and in this case the cheaper option.

It isnt faster, it isnt cheaper, and so what if its cooler, temp has nothing to do with performance or value.

February 2, 2002 1:33:25 PM

Btw, the 1.2ghz duron is only 7 dollars more than the 1.1ghz duron, since my combo gives a savings of 8 dollars, the purchaser, at his discretion, take the 7 of the saved bucks and use it to upgrade to a 1.2ghz duron. If he so chooses.

February 2, 2002 1:36:30 PM

So by your workings, how much cash has your solution saved, against the other plan?

February 2, 2002 1:41:23 PM

Total cost of my proposed upgrade=112$

8 dollars saved.

Thats almost 10% price difference(bear in mind this is ALL cheap).

Now in addition to that 8 bucks you get.
A: better performance
B: MUCH better future upgrade path, including axp's,tbreds and ddr ram
C: A complete mobo and cpu(the old one) that you can sell to finance further upgrades.

And the things my solution COSTS you are.
1: the hassle of swapping out the motherboard.

It is up to each of us to determine if the benifit!S! outweigh the negative. IMO the answer is obvious, but I merely suggested a soultion, and did not attack anyone for thinking otherwise.

February 2, 2002 1:56:03 PM

From Mwave.com:

INTEL PENTIUM III 1000 MHZ (BX80526C1000256) PC133FSB COPPERMINE FLIP CHIP RETAILED W/COOLING FAN (3 YEARS WARRANTY) Detail Specs $135.00

AMD DURON 1100MHZ (DHD1100AMT1B) OEM W/O COOLING FAN (1 YEAR WARRANTY) $71.00 - They don't have any retails listed...

ECS K7S5A SIS 735 CHIPSET ULTRA ATA100 ATX FORM FACTOR 1xAGP(4X)/5xPCI/1xAMR/2xDDR/2xDIMM W/LAN & AC97 AUDIO Detail Specs (CPU TYPE:AMD DURON, ATHLON) $62.00

P3 Retail = $135

Duron + ECS MB = $133

Plus since the Duron is OEM, you will have to buy a HSF. Even a generic HSF will cost more than $2, so the price of the Duron solution will be more. Granted, I did not go out to pricewatch and find the lowest price for each part. However, I remember in another thread you were complaining about resellers with rating lower than 5, so going to pricewatch and picking the lowest rated price per part was not an option for me since this limits one's choices. I think we both agree that Mwave is reputable? I guess what I am saying is that a Duron is not necessarily the cheapest solution, it all depends on where you get your prices, and where you are willing to buy from. Also, the ECS board is known to have a high defect rate. I think you know that personally?
February 2, 2002 2:13:42 PM

LoL, I can find any number of stores with over priced parts, I compared the cheapest for both at pricewatch, this negates any advantages/disadvantages.

You are paying 20 dollars too much for the chip and the mobo at mwave. AND EVEN THEN, my selection costs less and offers greater performance.

I agree ecs HAD a high failure rate, but all reports I have seen recently says they have ironed out their doa boards, otherwise I would NOT reccomend them.

So, is there any other reason you can offer to spend more for the lesser performing Intel solution?

February 2, 2002 2:17:52 PM

Quote:
I guess what I am saying is that a Duron is not necessarily the cheapest solution, it all depends on where you get your prices,

I can agree with this statement, some vendors overcharge and others have deals, but 9 times out of 10, it WILL be the cheaper solutiopn, and 10 times out of 10 the duron combo will out perfom the p3.

a b à CPUs
February 2, 2002 2:29:06 PM

A good motherboard for an AMD cost about $15 less than the PIII 1000EB. I'll go $20. So now you have to get what, a 1200 Duron to beet it (remember, we're limmited to SDR SDRAM performance levels for the Duron)? Fine, find one for $20 (*LOL*). Then add $40 for the power supply. Oh, but maybe he has a Micro ATX case? I'll assume he doesn't, but that's always a consideration in generic recommendations.

a b à CPUs
February 2, 2002 2:32:49 PM

Depends on the parts and the chipset.

February 2, 2002 2:47:52 PM

[claps & whistles]

ROFL! I continue with my stance on the side of the Pentium solution.

Look at it this way. You spend £115 on the CPU and sell the old one for £20. So you're £95 down.

You sell the system for £300-500. You then replace your complete system, ensuring your combo suggestion. On the cheap you could do it. Therefore you could have an even better system!!! Bang for buck!

Problem being...He asked for a CPU for his current system. Not a system replacement. Perhaps he has too much hardware and software in place and not enough knowledge to deal with it.

If the customer wants vodka don't try to sell him malt whisky. Sure its better, but its not what he wants to hear.

February 2, 2002 3:04:40 PM

which is exactly what I assumed he was asking .. it was a straight forward question .. how do I upgrade my p-3 system cheap and effectively .. seemed to me that the suggestion of the 1ghz eb chip was what he was looking for .. not build a new system.. meanwhile we have spent $10.00 in bandwidth on this and the guy hasn't even let us know he came back to look at the suggestions offered... roflmao

lagger

February 2, 2002 3:49:43 PM

Quote:
A good motherboard for an AMD cost about $15 less than the PIII 1000EB. I'll go $20. So now you have to get what, a 1200 Duron to beet it

LoL, you can read my statements, the pricing is clear, and a duron 1.1 is more than enough to beat a p3@1ghz.

Im done on this subject, you dont need a new psu, and the mobo+cpu is less than the p3 alone. If you, or the person wants to waste your money, thats fine, I dont care.

February 2, 2002 3:53:11 PM

It's sad, but true; what seems to be the logical choice: substitute your current CPU with a more powerful P3 CPU is in reality not the best solution, due to the high priced P3's.

Upgrading the CPU alone may be a bit cheaper now (if at all) but your future upgrade path will be a lot more limited, and with Intels previous track-record, it won't come cheap either.

Your solutions are:
1. Overclock your current CPU if possible and live with it for as long as you possibly can, and then demote it to your second computer, in your own personal home-network, and buy yourself a new computer.

2.If you can't wait, I would recommend you to follow Matisaro's advice, maybe even choose an Athlon XP instead of the Duron. Remember a XP1500+ runs cooler than a 1.1GHz Duron, it will only be a bit more expensive and later on you will be able to slip in a high clocked 0.13 micron Throughbred. With the ECS board you can substitute your current PC133 RAM with PC2100 DDR when you feel like.

<i>/Copenhagen</i>

<b><i>Seagate Barracuda IV.
Bad performance in RAID setups!
</i></b>
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2002 3:54:54 PM

I was just being lazy myself, I didn't want to look up a Duron SDR to PIII Coppermine comparison, simply because I doubt one exist! Every newer Duron comparison I've seen uses DDR on the Duron and SDR on the Coppermine.

February 2, 2002 3:55:31 PM

He asked for the best bang for his buck, I gave him that, if you would prefer to waste money on a p3 with no upgrade path and less performance, thats your mistake to make.

He hasnt said anything on the issue, and even if he choose the p3 for the ease of installation its his decision, taken on a purley price/performance measure, the p3 chip is a stupid choice, it costs more and gives you less than the newmobo route.

Apparently from the tone of your final post, you are just trying to tease me into wasting my time explaining things to you.(you did ask me questions about why my solution is the better price/performance choice) Which is did in good nature with a good tone, if you disagree thats fine, the facts I stated are still true. Laughing at my advice is an insult and if you dont want to hear what I have to say, dont ask me to say it. I made one post in this thread, helping the poster with advice, which a good majority of people would see as the better route, and then you and crash start insulting me about it. Whatever, as I said before, go ahead, waste your money on a slow p3, I'll enjoy my solution.

Quote:
If the customer wants vodka don't try to sell him malt whisky. Sure its better, but its not what he wants to hear.

He asked a question, I gave him a third option, YOU AND CRASH, continued the discussion, I did not post all this to convince the main poster what to do, you asked me questions about my soultion, and crash insulted it, dont try to chide me for posting my oppinion when asked, and dont even try to make it sound like im trying to force anything down the buyers throat.

February 2, 2002 3:57:32 PM

Quote:
Problem being...He asked for a CPU for his current system. Not a system replacement. Perhaps he has too much hardware and software in place and not enough knowledge to deal with it.

He asked for icreased performance and what would be the best bang for his buck, a mobo/cpu swap as opposed to a new cpu is HARDLY a "system replacement". If you had read my posts instead of assuming im trying to brainwash everyone into amd solutions you would have seen that, but if you just want to be contrary thats fine, whatever floats your boat.

a b à CPUs
February 2, 2002 3:57:38 PM

With AMD on the verge of yet another technology change, and chipset support getting better every day, I would simply swap a faster processor into his current system and, when that seems too slow (probably at least a year for him), replace it completely.

February 2, 2002 3:59:56 PM

Quote:
With AMD on the verge of yet another technology change, and chipset support getting better every day, I would simply swap a faster processor into his current system and, when that seems too slow (probably at least a year for him), replace it completely.

The socket a platform has a good year left to it at least, tbred and barton, hardly near a technology change.

!