High-end system, need a monitor

L3v14th4n

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
I'm building a high-end system that i plan to use for some fairly serious gaming, along with web design (photoshop, dreamweaver, etc..) an i need a monitor. I'm thinking about 24-30 inches, and would rather not spend more than $200, but i'll spend more if i have to. Anyone have any suggestions about a good monitor? Also, what size is ideal (i.e. is a 30" monitor too big for desk use?)
Thnx!

Solution
I don't know if you would want a TN panel seeing as what you want to do with it.

I recently took possesion of a HP 2475W to replace my dell 2405fpw which I gave to my parents.

The 2405FPW itself is very good but not as good as the HP in colours or responsiveness at least using something like the online LCD tests.

The one suggested above, the 2408wfp is also a good choice and I nearly went for it.

If you were a gamer who favoured speed over anything else then a cheap tn panel may have, and it is only a may, been your best choice but the mention of other things I would think would rule out a cheap display.

True I am a gamer myself but even I do not like TN panels despite their claimed speed advantage.
I don't know if you would want a TN panel seeing as what you want to do with it.

I recently took possesion of a HP 2475W to replace my dell 2405fpw which I gave to my parents.

The 2405FPW itself is very good but not as good as the HP in colours or responsiveness at least using something like the online LCD tests.

The one suggested above, the 2408wfp is also a good choice and I nearly went for it.

If you were a gamer who favoured speed over anything else then a cheap tn panel may have, and it is only a may, been your best choice but the mention of other things I would think would rule out a cheap display.

True I am a gamer myself but even I do not like TN panels despite their claimed speed advantage.

Solution

L3v14th4n

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

I don't know... After reading the reviews for both, the more expensive 2408 seemed to have more problems than the far cheaper G2410...hmmm. That just preliminary research, but the G2410 seems to be a very nice product.

I have a 2408WFP, and I love it. It's a gorgeous monitor, and well worth the money.

Lockie85

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
BEFORE YOU BUY!!!
I have been watching for awhile now on a new monitor i would like to buy. these are some of the ones i have been looking at from the 200-300 price range and 23+ inches only widescreen hdmi 1080 etc.

This is a hanns-g bigger model 28". its solid but older lot of connections. read more if you like.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254026

here is a nice asus, only 21.5" full 1080. lots of input connections.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236051

NOW if i had to buy a monitor right now on the spot based on price/proformance and brand this would be it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005125

lg 23" widescreen. great contrash ratios(something to watch tho as backlight led monitors are coming)
lots of connections. 1080. get response time 2ms. 200bucks. you get a lot of bang for the buck here.