motherboard monitor temps

skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
I have an ecs k7s5a mobo and it reads 37 C at idle. I installed motherboard monitor v5 and it reads 53 C (the only sensor that gave halfway believable temps). WHich one should I trust?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
that depends on WHAT you are reading.
personally i always trust mbm more.
but 37C could be the motherboard temp and 53C the CPU temp.

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
According to my mobo, the case temp is 22 C (that is accurate since it's about 2 C higher than room temp and I got a ton of fans blowing), and the socalled CPU temp is 37 C. I do think this is the CPU temp (accurate or not) since I did see it go up to 54 C when the HSF fan got disconnected.

As for mobo monitor, 54 is supposed to be the CPU temp from diode #2 or something. It has to be the CPU temp since nothing else in my system could be that high.

I wonder if the mobo monitor reads the temp inside the CPU whereas the mobo reads the temp around the socket? This would explain the 53 to 37 C difference.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm
they both could be right...
a friend has something similar, got a a7a266 board, and u can choose 3 temps, one is the mobo, the other two are cpu, but ones around 46 the other 54... both go up and down according to CPU load.
i think the 46 one is the 'real' reading, while the 54 is the corrected asus reading.

anyways, if your computer is stable and not crashing, u really dont have anything to worry about.

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)