HP dv5215us hard drive crash - what to replace with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalittle

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Greeting all - My HP laptop of many years recently had the hard drive go bad, giving me the 4 clicks of doom when the machine boots up and nothing else. The bios does not show a hard drive at all. I've removed the hard drive, and re-seated it with no luck. My guess is that it is time to buy a new hard drive and pull out the recovery disks. I downloaded the support documentation, and it shows that this machine had configurations of 60-120 GB hard drives (mine was 80 GB) - all ATA-5. My question is simply this -

Can i simply go out and buy any ATA-5 (ATA100) laptop hard drive and the bios will detect it and go with it?

I built and upgraded many desktops, and that works fine there - just not as familiar with laptop hardware.

Any opinions / suggestions welcome - TIA - Ken

Solution
Yes it does. It will work good for awhile, but soon enough, you'll have to upgrade to a new system...

That is a good hard drive, slow, and small (capacity)... But it will do the job.

I hope you get that laptop up and working again!

I'd stick to Windows XP, don't upgrade to Win7 on that laptop.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
It "should" recognize it. I don't think you can just go to a store and get one of those, they're old. Your best bet is to order online for a dependable e-store.

Overall, I wouldn't spend the money on a new hard drive, that computer is old... not competent of running well with today's technology. It's really up to you and your needs though...

kalittle

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I agree totally - I was not going to spend much to get this machine working again. I was looking at this drive from newegg -

SAMSUNG Spinpoint M5 HM160HC 160GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" ATA Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152110

Since everything else on the laptop is good, the total cost of $55 to get this laptop running again with XP seems like it would be worth the repair.

Make sense??

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Yes it does. It will work good for awhile, but soon enough, you'll have to upgrade to a new system...

That is a good hard drive, slow, and small (capacity)... But it will do the job.

I hope you get that laptop up and working again!

I'd stick to Windows XP, don't upgrade to Win7 on that laptop.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.