New 8400 Question?

I just received my Dimension 8400 and wanted to know if I can delete some of
the items like AOL, EarthLink and NetZero by the add/remove without
reformatting the drive?
I have been reading this newsgroup for about a month before I ordered the
8400 and read in one of the post to buy a certain CD for the CD drives. I
have a CD-RW and a DVD+RW/+R. What would be the best CD's to buy for backing
up files and burning music? I have never used a CD rewritable before. Also
is the program that came with the computer for the CD drives OK?
Thanks
david
15 answers Last reply
More about 8400 question

    "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I just received my Dimension 8400 and wanted to know if I can delete some
    >of
    > the items like AOL, EarthLink and NetZero by the add/remove without
    > reformatting the drive?

    Yep. Yep. Yep. Always use the add/remove function in Control Panel. There
    might also be other bloatware in there you'd like to nuke. Any of the major
    applications can be reinstalled from the Dell programs/apps backup CD if
    needed.

    > I have been reading this newsgroup for about a month before I ordered the
    > 8400 and read in one of the post to buy a certain CD for the CD drives. I
    > have a CD-RW and a DVD+RW/+R. What would be the best CD's to buy for
    > backing
    > up files and burning music? I have never used a CD rewritable before.
    > Also
    > is the program that came with the computer for the CD drives OK?
    > Thanks
    > david

    Buy CD-Rs for burning music and even backing up data. People will have
    different preferences on brands (TDK, Maxell, Memorex, etc), but buy them in
    some quantity (50 or 100 disc spools) and you'll save some bucks and have
    plenty on hand.

    I can't comment on the DVD+RW/+R media, but someone else here surely can.
    Enjoy your new system.

    Stew

    > "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >I just received my Dimension 8400 and wanted to know if I can delete some
    > >of
    > > the items like AOL, EarthLink and NetZero by the add/remove without
    > > reformatting the drive?
    >
    > Yep. Yep. Yep. Always use the add/remove function in Control Panel. There
    > might also be other bloatware in there you'd like to nuke. Any of the
    major
    > applications can be reinstalled from the Dell programs/apps backup CD if
    > needed.
    >
    > > I have been reading this newsgroup for about a month before I ordered
    the
    > > 8400 and read in one of the post to buy a certain CD for the CD drives.
    > > have a CD-RW and a DVD+RW/+R. What would be the best CD's to buy for
    > > backing
    > > up files and burning music? I have never used a CD rewritable before.
    > > Also
    > > is the program that came with the computer for the CD drives OK?
    > > Thanks
    > > david
    > >

    > Buy CD-Rs for burning music and even backing up data. People will have
    > different preferences on brands (TDK, Maxell, Memorex, etc), but buy them
    in
    > some quantity (50 or 100 disc spools) and you'll save some bucks and have
    > plenty on hand.
    >
    > I can't comment on the DVD+RW/+R media, but someone else here surely can.
    > Enjoy your new system.
    >

    > Stew

    Thank you Stew for your quick and helpful reply.
    david

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:49:27 GMT, "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote:

    >I have been reading this newsgroup for about a month before I ordered the
    >8400 and read in one of the post to buy a certain CD for the CD drives. I
    >have a CD-RW and a DVD+RW/+R. What would be the best CD's to buy for backing
    >up files and burning music? I have never used a CD rewritable before. Also
    >is the program that came with the computer for the CD drives OK?
    >Thanks
    >david

    From my experience I've found that the cheapest DVD+R's burn just as
    good as name brand one's. To be honest I've only made one "coaster"
    since I got my 8200 with a DVD+R and that was my fault. If you have a
    CompUSA near you they have a sale at the moment; 50 DVD+R's for $20.
    They are the CompUSA brand but I've been using them for the last year
    without a problem. The cool thing about data DVD's is they hold 4.7
    Gigs worth of data. And 4.7 Gigs worth of .MP3's make for real long
    playing times :-)

    Mike

    "Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:49:27 GMT, "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote:
    >

    > >I have been reading this newsgroup for about a month before I ordered the
    > >8400 and read in one of the post to buy a certain CD for the CD drives. I
    > >have a CD-RW and a DVD+RW/+R. What would be the best CD's to buy for
    backing
    > >up files and burning music? I have never used a CD rewritable before.
    Also
    > >is the program that came with the computer for the CD drives OK?
    > >Thanks
    > >david
    > >

    > From my experience I've found that the cheapest DVD+R's burn just as
    > good as name brand one's. To be honest I've only made one "coaster"
    > since I got my 8200 with a DVD+R and that was my fault. If you have a
    > CompUSA near you they have a sale at the moment; 50 DVD+R's for $20.
    > They are the CompUSA brand but I've been using them for the last year
    > without a problem. The cool thing about data DVD's is they hold 4.7
    > Gigs worth of data. And 4.7 Gigs worth of .MP3's make for real long
    > playing times :-)
    >
    > Mike

    Thanks Mike for your quick and helpful reply.. I do have a CompUSA not to
    far away. I will check the sell.
    david

    http://www.cdfreaks.com/ This site reviews burners.
    http://www.videohelp.com/ you can get help here burning DVD, VCD, software
    questions, and finally will that DVD or VCD play in your stand alone player.

    > "Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:49:27 GMT, "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote:
    >>

    >> >I have been reading this newsgroup for about a month before I ordered
    >> >the
    >> >8400 and read in one of the post to buy a certain CD for the CD drives.
    >> >have a CD-RW and a DVD+RW/+R. What would be the best CD's to buy for
    > backing
    >> >up files and burning music? I have never used a CD rewritable before.
    > Also
    >> >is the program that came with the computer for the CD drives OK?
    >> >Thanks
    >> >david
    >> >

    >> From my experience I've found that the cheapest DVD+R's burn just as
    >> good as name brand one's. To be honest I've only made one "coaster"
    >> since I got my 8200 with a DVD+R and that was my fault. If you have a
    >> CompUSA near you they have a sale at the moment; 50 DVD+R's for $20.
    >> They are the CompUSA brand but I've been using them for the last year
    >> without a problem. The cool thing about data DVD's is they hold 4.7
    >> Gigs worth of data. And 4.7 Gigs worth of .MP3's make for real long
    >> playing times :-)
    >>
    >> Mike
    >
    > Thanks Mike for your quick and helpful reply.. I do have a CompUSA not to
    > far away. I will check the sell.
    > david

    david,

    If Roxio came with your pc, it is a decent program, as is Nero and
    even MS Media Player and Real Audio. How do you like your 8400 so far?
    Which video card was installed?

    bigsley

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:49:27 GMT, "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote:

    >I just received my Dimension 8400 and wanted to know if I can delete some of
    >the items like AOL, EarthLink and NetZero by the add/remove without
    >reformatting the drive?
    >I have been reading this newsgroup for about a month before I ordered the
    >8400 and read in one of the post to buy a certain CD for the CD drives. I
    >have a CD-RW and a DVD+RW/+R. What would be the best CD's to buy for backing
    >up files and burning music? I have never used a CD rewritable before. Also
    >is the program that came with the computer for the CD drives OK?
    >Thanks
    >david

    Thank you Molly for the web sights. I will need all the information I can
    get since I haven't done any burning
    as yet, or even used the CD or DVD drives as yet.
    david

    "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > http://www.cdfreaks.com/ This site reviews burners.
    > http://www.videohelp.com/ you can get help here burning DVD, VCD,
    software
    > questions, and finally will that DVD or VCD play in your stand alone
    player.

    > "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message

    > > backing
    > > Also
    > >> >

    > >> From my experience I've found that the cheapest DVD+R's burn just as
    > >> good as name brand one's. To be honest I've only made one "coaster"
    > >> since I got my 8200 with a DVD+R and that was my fault. If you have a
    > >> CompUSA near you they have a sale at the moment; 50 DVD+R's for $20.
    > >> They are the CompUSA brand but I've been using them for the last year
    > >> without a problem. The cool thing about data DVD's is they hold 4.7
    > >> Gigs worth of data. And 4.7 Gigs worth of .MP3's make for real long
    > >> playing times :-)
    > >>
    > >> Mike
    > >
    > > Thanks Mike for your quick and helpful reply.. I do have a CompUSA not
    > > far away. I will check the sell.
    > > david

    I couldn't find Roxio or Nero, I did see a program called sonic and I do
    have MedaPlayer, but still looking the programs over.
    So far I really enjoy the 8400. The other computer I had was about 5 years
    old so the new WindowsXP will take some getting used to.
    The video card I have installed Is "DVI/VGA/TV-out) x800SE ATE Radeon tm.
    david

    <anonymous> wrote in message
    > david,
    >
    > If Roxio came with your pc, it is a decent program, as is Nero and
    > even MS Media Player and Real Audio. How do you like your 8400 so far?
    > Which video card was installed?
    >
    > bigsley
    >
    > On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:49:27 GMT, "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I just received my Dimension 8400 and wanted to know if I can delete some
    of
    > >the items like AOL, EarthLink and NetZero by the add/remove without
    > >reformatting the drive?
    > >I have been reading this newsgroup for about a month before I ordered the
    > >8400 and read in one of the post to buy a certain CD for the CD drives. I
    > >have a CD-RW and a DVD+RW/+R. What would be the best CD's to buy for
    backing
    > >up files and burning music? I have never used a CD rewritable before.
    Also
    > >is the program that came with the computer for the CD drives OK?
    > >Thanks
    > >david

    Sonic should work nicely for you, even Media Player. I was curious
    about the graphics card cause on the Dell website, the 8400 is listed
    as available with an X800 XT, but in the configure screen, an X800 SE.
    And I am fairly certain that the XT is an AGP card. Could just be a
    typo. //bigsley

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 05:13:20 GMT, "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote:

    >I couldn't find Roxio or Nero, I did see a program called sonic and I do
    >have MedaPlayer, but still looking the programs over.
    >So far I really enjoy the 8400. The other computer I had was about 5 years
    >old so the new WindowsXP will take some getting used to.
    >The video card I have installed Is "DVI/VGA/TV-out) x800SE ATE Radeon tm.
    >david
    >
    ><anonymous> wrote in message
    >> david,
    >>
    >> If Roxio came with your pc, it is a decent program, as is Nero and
    >> even MS Media Player and Real Audio. How do you like your 8400 so far?
    >> Which video card was installed?
    >>
    >> bigsley
    >>
    >> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:49:27 GMT, "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I just received my Dimension 8400 and wanted to know if I can delete some
    >of
    >> >the items like AOL, EarthLink and NetZero by the add/remove without
    >> >reformatting the drive?
    >> >I have been reading this newsgroup for about a month before I ordered the
    >> >8400 and read in one of the post to buy a certain CD for the CD drives. I
    >> >have a CD-RW and a DVD+RW/+R. What would be the best CD's to buy for
    >backing
    >> >up files and burning music? I have never used a CD rewritable before.
    >Also
    >> >is the program that came with the computer for the CD drives OK?
    >> >Thanks
    >> >david

    The 8400 does not have an AGP slot. It supports PCI-Express which replaces
    AGP.

    <anonymous> wrote in message
    > Sonic should work nicely for you, even Media Player. I was curious
    > about the graphics card cause on the Dell website, the 8400 is listed
    > as available with an X800 XT, but in the configure screen, an X800 SE.
    > And I am fairly certain that the XT is an AGP card. Could just be a
    > typo. //bigsley

    Greetings,

    Sonic came loaded on my new computer. I do have Roxio EMC 7.

    How do these two software programs compare?

    I have found that Roxio Drag to Disk disabled my Windows XP burning software
    as a default of the Roxio installation. That has not been a problem since I
    have used Roxio for so many years.

    I am just curious about peoples opinions and experiences with Sonic.

    Thank you in advance for your comments and help.

    Leer

    <anonymous> wrote in message
    > Sonic should work nicely for you, even Media Player. I was curious
    > about the graphics card cause on the Dell website, the 8400 is listed
    > as available with an X800 XT, but in the configure screen, an X800 SE.
    > And I am fairly certain that the XT is an AGP card. Could just be a
    > typo. //bigsley
    >
    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 05:13:20 GMT, "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I couldn't find Roxio or Nero, I did see a program called sonic and I do
    >>have MedaPlayer, but still looking the programs over.
    >>So far I really enjoy the 8400. The other computer I had was about 5 years
    >>old so the new WindowsXP will take some getting used to.
    >>The video card I have installed Is "DVI/VGA/TV-out) x800SE ATE Radeon tm.
    >>david
    >>
    >><anonymous> wrote in message
    >>> david,
    >>>
    >>> If Roxio came with your pc, it is a decent program, as is Nero and
    >>> even MS Media Player and Real Audio. How do you like your 8400 so far?
    >>> Which video card was installed?
    >>>
    >>> bigsley

    >>of
    >>backing
    >>Also

    I use Sonic MyDVD to capture video from my MiniDV camcorder and it works
    very well. I use Nero for everything else.

    >I use Sonic MyDVD to capture video from my MiniDV camcorder and it works
    >very well. I use Nero for everything else.

    [snip]

    I too have a Dell Dimension 8400, and use Sonic, I upgraded to the latest
    version <online> and have been very happy with the results.

    The Sonic Software is stable and the user interface is easy to operate, what
    more can you possibly want. I would certainly recommend staying with Sonic.

    I have Sonic Record Now Deluxe Version 7, Build:720B31l, version:7.20 SSD.

    Hope that is of help,

    73 de John
    --
    eMail1 : john@jcmcc1srp.freeserve.co.uk
    eMail2 : john_c_mcculloch@hotmail.com

    WSZsr wrote:
    > I use Sonic MyDVD to capture video from my MiniDV camcorder and it works
    > very well. I use Nero for everything else.

    Minor nit - Sonic is the latest software retailer for what was
    originally Seagate Software, then Veritas, then Stomp, now Sonic,
    software, e.g., BackUpMyPC, RecordNowMax, etc. I have used both products
    for years (since they were marketed by Seagate Software) and still like
    them both (note, MyDVD became RecordNowMAX). However, I don't use
    RecordNow a whole lot these days because most CDs I burn are done with
    MusicMatch JukeBox and most DVDs are burned with Studio9. I seldom use
    the backup program anymore, as well, because I'm making clones of my
    HDDs onto external HDDs with Ghost.

    YMMV

    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I can use all the help I can get
    since I am a novice at the CD-DVD thing.
    david

    "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I just received my Dimension 8400 and wanted to know if I can delete some
    of
    > the items like AOL, EarthLink and NetZero by the add/remove without
    > reformatting the drive?
    > I have been reading this newsgroup for about a month before I ordered the
    > 8400 and read in one of the post to buy a certain CD for the CD drives. I
    > have a CD-RW and a DVD+RW/+R. What would be the best CD's to buy for
    backing
    > up files and burning music? I have never used a CD rewritable before.
    Also
    > is the program that came with the computer for the CD drives OK?
    > Thanks
    > david

Dell CD-Rom Dimension Computers