Mace31

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
Would upgrading from Win98se to Windows XP solve this problem?

Just got a new Cd Rom unit, new 40Gb HD and a new soundcard (Hercules GS Muse 5.1). Everything seemed to work fine, tried it all with Unreal 2 once and was ok (since took U2 back, asit was crap!).

Now, I come to try CFS3 (with the new patch) and Ghost Recon. CFS3 will get to the main menu then 5-10 seconds later will just hang, having to hard restart.

Ghost Recon will get into the menus but with certain letters missing from the text, get into first mission and as soon as I press the mouse button to shoot it crashes.

In both games the sound carries on going.

I am pissed off because the reason I bought the HD and CD-rom was partially due to this (i thought one of the two had a problem anyways).

So, is it the sound card? I am running a GF3Ti200 by the way.

I think it could be an audio problem, is it some odd win98 conflict that XP would solve, or does anyone have any advice.

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Ghost Recon is compatable with Win98, so that is not your problem.
Try this-
Start, run, dxdiag, OK.
Then check settings.
Set options with minimal selected.
If it then runs OK, you can select more options and test again.

DCB_AU

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
Make sure that you have the latest drivers for all the components that you just added. In addition, check the drivers for the video card too. I had similar problems with return to castle wolfenstein, and the cause was in the video drivers.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

Mace31

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
I have the latest Nvidia drivers and the latest Hercules sound card drivers.

I cannot for the life of me work it out! CFS3, Ghost Recon, GTA3 will not work. MOHAA does work!!!!

Now if all games didn't work then I would at least be on 'even ground', but one does!? Why??? I am going to try all games and see what does and doesn't work, and see if there are any similarities.

But, would this still happen under Win XP? I hate Win98 and was looking for an excuse to upgrade, but if this problem will still be present then I will not.

Isn't technology wonderful! lol

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Yeah I don’t think XP will solve your problems, it may just open another can of worms. I like XP, just some games won’t run.

What kind of power supply do you have, what is your CPU temperature? I would check for IRQ conflicts, maybe try with out the sound card, or move it. Check or reinstall directX, 4-1 if a VIA mobo, also check the BIOS, if you have it over clocked I would lower the settings, or even try default.

You didn’t say if you did a clean install of Windows with your new HDD. If all else fails a clean install may not be to far off. Unless you can figure it out, sometimes it’s quicker to just reinstall the windows.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new">When you don’t have a snickers bar for the wait.</A>

Mace31

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
Power supply is a 250, CPU temp is between 38-40 (850 Duron). There are no IRQ conflicts, and I have just tried it with my old SB PCI128 and get the same problems!!

Direct X has been re-installed, up to date with the VIA 4in1 drivers and nothing is OC'd and still the same....

It was a totally clean install of Win98, so I don't think doing it again would make any difference?

This is really crazy. If it's not the soundcard then what is it? Could it be the motherboard? (It's a Jetway 663ASpro).

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Sounds like you need a new Power supply. 300 watts should do you, if it’s a quality power supply like Enermax. For future purposes you might want to consider even more, say 350 or better.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new">When you don’t have a snickers bar for the wait.</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jiffy on 02/09/03 02:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Mace31

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
Fixed it!

It was the GF3 card. Put in an old 32Mb card and voila! Have to try and get a replacement card now, only had the GF3 a year!

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Were you able to test the GF3, maybe the card you’re using doesn’t need as much power. The minimum of power now of days is 300 watts, with what your running 250 watts is cutting it close, just keep that in mind if you have anymore problems. Anyway I hope you get it straighten out.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new">When you don’t have a snickers bar for the wait.</A>