Sign in with
Your question

Unable to connect to steam games

Last response: in Windows 7
May 24, 2010 2:40:21 AM

7 Home premium, new build. Even disabled firewall in W7 to see if that corrects it. It will bring up a list of servers but when I click connect (or even type connect xx.xx.xx.xx in console) it just times out. Does it for both CS:S and TF2.

Anyone have a clue how to resolve this?
May 24, 2010 7:35:06 AM

anyone?
May 24, 2010 8:40:52 AM

Might be a problem with your internet connection. Have you tried steam's forums?
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 24, 2010 8:55:05 AM

Sounds like you have a router inbetween your internet connection and your computer.
If it is the case ,then the problem will be with the router.

You may need to login to the router and set up port forwarding for steam/ and the games you say you wish to play.

How its done is you put the ip address in the router its self gave your computer its ip address then the port you wish to open to allow it to pass through the router.

Steam uses the default ports of.

UDP 1200 (used for friends service)
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (connect to game servers)
TCP 27020 to 27039 inclusive
a b $ Windows 7
May 24, 2010 10:16:50 AM

I disabled the firewall in my router and it solved all my gaming issues!

edit: except getting my ass kicked!
May 24, 2010 3:45:51 PM

Disabling your firewall on your router leaves you open for a host of attacks from the internet. Just forward the ports.
May 24, 2010 9:07:23 PM

Funny, same router/connection/house EVERYTHING except new PC. My laptop and my old desktop it replaced still works fine :( 
May 24, 2010 9:13:58 PM

after opening those ports/services I still get the same ***...

Ill try removing th e router entirely
May 24, 2010 10:11:35 PM

Its definitely coming from the router. What kills me is the other 2 pcs on the network connect t hru the router just fine. One wirelessly, one wired...

I mapped those ports forward a nd its done no good. But i can play both CS:S and TF2 if the router is out of the loop...

This is rediculous.
a b $ Windows 7
May 25, 2010 1:09:23 AM

Have you tried going to portforward.com? Perhaps your not forwarding the ports correctly? (don't mean to be rude.)
a b $ Windows 7
May 25, 2010 2:32:05 PM

chedderslam1976 said:
Disabling your firewall on your router leaves you open for a host of attacks from the internet. Just forward the ports.

The firewall on our router blocks Google images and Google maps among other things. it's total shite. Just sharing my experience!
a b $ Windows 7
May 25, 2010 4:24:28 PM

I would check what IP address the router has indeed given your new computer.
Click on start, in the search programs and files type CMD, then press enter.
Type ipconfig/all

Look for IPv4 address.
Check its the same ip that you typed into the router port forwarding menu.
May 27, 2010 12:18:12 AM

its .1.2, and the router is .1.1. I checked from within the router for "connected devices" and its the only machine on.

and portforward.com charges $30 for a piece of software...

but the ports are forwarded right as far as I know. The other ports that are forwarded for CoD work fine...
a b $ Windows 7
May 27, 2010 12:31:29 AM

You should be able to go there and select the router you have and the game your trying to play. It will show you a list of steps (with pictures) of what you need to do. I don't know of any software they offer. I've had to do this sometimes.

If not that, I have no idea. Have you checked Steams forums?
May 27, 2010 12:41:36 AM

if you have an antivirus, try disabling it.
February 25, 2013 8:29:02 AM

HideOut said:
7 Home premium, new build. Even disabled firewall in W7 to see if that corrects it. It will bring up a list of servers but when I click connect (or even type connect xx.xx.xx.xx in console) it just times out. Does it for both CS:S and TF2.

Anyone have a clue how to resolve this?

Hello, i realize this post is rather old, but i am posting this for those of you who just stumbled upon this hoping for a fix for your problem. Here's a video response to this problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHP8B7AMqc4
!