New Feat: Skilled

Skilled: You have a knack for learning that exceeds your gods-given
intelligence.

Benefits: You get 1 extra skill point per level, starting with the level
you took the feat. If you take this feat at 1st level, you get 4 extra
skill points at first level only, then 1 extra skill point every level
thereafter.

This is essentially one of the human benefits, although humans also
could benefit from this feat.

Does this seem balanced? Does it seem worthwhile?

My thoughts:
Would everyone take it: No, it isn't universally useful and doesn't seem
to clearly outshine any other feats
Would ANYONE take it: Yes, especially a skills-based character like a
rogue or bard

- Ron ^*^

Jim Davies wrote:
> Skilled [General]
> Benefit: Instead of a feat, take 4 skill points. Unlike Skill Focus or
> Skill Mastery, this does not allow a character to go over the L+3
> maximum, nor circumvent class skill restrictions.
> Fighters, Wizards and other classes that gain restricted feats as part
> of class progression may take Skilled, but all such points must be
> used on class skills.
>
> It's something like a +2/+2 feat (eg Alertness, etc) with the
> potential advantages of giving synergy bonuses and PrC qualifications,
> but likewise limited by the L+3 limit.
>
> --
> Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim
>
> D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org

A feat like this exists, but it gives 5 skill points. I can't recall
the name or Complete Book off hand; I just know I read of it.

Gerald Katz

ranpoirier@cox.net wrote:

> Skilled: You have a knack for learning that exceeds your gods-given
> intelligence.
>
> Benefits: You get 1 extra skill point per level, starting with the level
> you took the feat. If you take this feat at 1st level, you get 4 extra
> skill points at first level only, then 1 extra skill point every level
> thereafter.
>

> This is essentially one of the human benefits, although humans also
> could benefit from this feat.
>
> Does this seem balanced? Does it seem worthwhile?
>
> My thoughts:
> Would everyone take it: No, it isn't universally useful and doesn't seem
> to clearly outshine any other feats
> Would ANYONE take it: Yes, especially a skills-based character like a
> rogue or bard

Wortwhile: definitely. Balanced: most likely.

But I'm not sure if I'd allow it. It perhaps to encroaches too much on
human territory.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Behold! for Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> spake unto the multitude
thus:

>Skilled: You have a knack for learning that exceeds your gods-given
>intelligence.
>
>Benefits: You get 1 extra skill point per level, starting with the level
>you took the feat. If you take this feat at 1st level, you get 4 extra
>skill points at first level only, then 1 extra skill point every level
>thereafter.

On the face of it, it's roughly in line with (or weaker than) the
principle that a feats gives you an effective +2 to a stat in one
regular application (eg Wpn Focus is like +2 Str wrt melee attack) or
+4 in less common things (eg Gt Fort, Iron Will, etc = +4). This is
like +2 Int, used most of the time.

It's also like the way that the rules for Int increase work, in that
changes are not retrospective. So it fits the rules as written to some
degree.

OTOH, it tastes nasty, and looks like it would be worthwhile only at
1st level. The most likely candidate would be a stupid human fighter
who wants to swim, climb, jump AND ride a horse passably well.

IMC, it looks like this:

Skilled [General]
Benefit: Instead of a feat, take 4 skill points. Unlike Skill Focus or
Skill Mastery, this does not allow a character to go over the L+3
maximum, nor circumvent class skill restrictions.
Fighters, Wizards and other classes that gain restricted feats as part
of class progression may take Skilled, but all such points must be
used on class skills.

It's something like a +2/+2 feat (eg Alertness, etc) with the
potential advantages of giving synergy bonuses and PrC qualifications,
but likewise limited by the L+3 limit.

--
Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim

D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org

I'm uneasy about giving a per-level bonus from a feat, which itself is
a per-level perk.
A fixed number of skill points, not necessarily the 5 recalled by
Hadsil, is more controllable.

Lorenzo Gatti

Open Minded from Complete Adventurer: +5 skill points,
and
Human Heritage from Races of Destiny: +4 skill points at first level,
count as human, Racial: Half Human only.

"Hadsil" <forumite@netzero.com> wrote in news:1117430931.905273.300130
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> A feat like this exists, but it gives 5 skill points. I can't recall
> the name or Complete Book off hand; I just know I read of it.

Open Minded is from Expended Psionics Handbook and the complete adventurer

freakybaby wrote:
> "Hadsil" <forumite@netzero.com> wrote in news:1117430931.905273.300130
> @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>

>>A feat like this exists, but it gives 5 skill points. I can't recall
>>the name or Complete Book off hand; I just know I read of it.
>

> Open Minded is from Expended Psionics Handbook and the complete adventurer

"Hey Marzipan, this is crazy, Bubs just asked me for your phone number
too -- and he was asking me all sorts of questions, like if you were
'open-minded' and stuff..."

- Ron ^*^

Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote:

> Skilled: You have a knack for learning that exceeds your gods-given
> intelligence.
>
> Benefits: You get 1 extra skill point per level, starting with the
> level you took the feat. If you take this feat at 1st level, you get
> 4 extra skill points at first level only, then 1 extra skill point
> every level thereafter.

IMC I let it apply retroactively too. I do the same with Int bumps.

> This is essentially one of the human benefits, although humans also
> could benefit from this feat.
>
> Does this seem balanced? Does it seem worthwhile?

Sure. I haven't had a problem with it.

> My thoughts:
> Would everyone take it: No, it isn't universally useful and doesn't seem
> to clearly outshine any other feats
> Would ANYONE take it: Yes, especially a skills-based character like a
> rogue or bard

Rogues, bards, and wizards tend to get lots of skill points anyway; I've
mostly seen it used by nonskilly-types in order to get that necessary
third or fourth skill.

Keith

Jim Davies <jim@aaargh.NoBleedinSpam.org> wrote:
> Behold! for Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> spake unto the multitude
> thus:
>

>>Skilled: You have a knack for learning that exceeds your gods-given
>>intelligence.
>>
>>Benefits: You get 1 extra skill point per level, starting with the level
>>you took the feat. If you take this feat at 1st level, you get 4 extra
>>skill points at first level only, then 1 extra skill point every level
>>thereafter.
>
> On the face of it, it's roughly in line with (or weaker than) the
> principle that a feats gives you an effective +2 to a stat in one
> regular application (eg Wpn Focus is like +2 Str wrt melee attack) or
> +4 in less common things (eg Gt Fort, Iron Will, etc = +4). This is
> like +2 Int, used most of the time.
>
> It's also like the way that the rules for Int increase work, in that
> changes are not retrospective. So it fits the rules as written to some
> degree.

It's *most* worthwhile at first level.

Int and skill points the only thing that behave this way, btw. Every
other stat bump applies as retroactively as it can (Con changes hit
poitns retroactively, Dex 'always' affects AC, increasing Wis always
affects clerical spellcasting, etc.).

I removed this exception IMC with no detrimental effect. The only
noticeable difference is that people are actually willing to buy lower
Int and bump it later than buy it 'where they want it' and bump other
stats.

I've seen lots of high-Int-and-medium-Dex starting rogues because it's
more effective in the end than high-Dex-and-medium-Int.

> OTOH, it tastes nasty, and looks like it would be worthwhile only at
> 1st level. The most likely candidate would be a stupid human fighter
> who wants to swim, climb, jump AND ride a horse passably well.

This is where I've seen it. The skillmonkeys usually already have lots
of skill points... adding 10% more skill points isn't as impressive as
adding 33% more.

For that matter, I mostly see Toughness (+1 hp/HD IMC) taken by the low
hit point characters, rather than the buff big-HD types, for much the
same reason.

Using the core rules Toughness feat, I think I've *maybe* seen a Ftr1
take it once... and never higher than that (what's 3 hp when you've got
60?). I've seen low- and medium-level wizards take it a few times,
though.

> IMC, it looks like this:
>
> Skilled [General]
> Benefit: Instead of a feat, take 4 skill points. Unlike Skill Focus or
> Skill Mastery, this does not allow a character to go over the L+3
> maximum, nor circumvent class skill restrictions.
> Fighters, Wizards and other classes that gain restricted feats as part
> of class progression may take Skilled, but all such points must be
> used on class skills.

Skill Focus doesn't give ranks in the skill, it gives a bonus.

It's probably sufficient to say 'Gives 4 skill points' -- you can't use
skill points to buy ranks over L+3 (or (L+3)/2).

Keith