Improved precise shot and Sneak Attack

IPS feat states that you can ignore everything short of total cover and
total concealment. Does this then allow a rouge to use their SA ability
when within 30 feet of a creature with partial cover? Or does the rule
about not being able to SA a creature with concelment/cover still apply?

Logiacally, I feel that if you ignore the miss chance, then you should also
then be able to use your SA because the reasoning is you can't SA because
you can't target the vital area, but if the IPS feat allows you to target
precisely enuff to hit that area, then you should get your SA

Also, does this Feat negate concealment by magical means? (ie - blur,
invisibility)

"Master Grunthros the Flatulent" <Erich__G@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> IPS feat states that you can ignore everything short of total cover and
> total concealment. Does this then allow a rouge to use their SA ability
> when within 30 feet of a creature with partial cover? Or does the rule
> about not being able to SA a creature with concelment/cover still apply?

Sneak attack specifically states that it can't be used against targets with
concealment. The IPS description does not say that it makes concealment go
away, just that the player can ignore its effects. No sneak attack.

Figure the IPS allows you to accurately hit the little bit of the target you
can see, but the partial cover protects the vulnerable areas you need to hit
in a sneak attack to get the extra damage.

> Logiacally, I feel that if you ignore the miss chance, then you should
> also then be able to use your SA because the reasoning is you can't SA
> because you can't target the vital area, but if the IPS feat allows you to
> target precisely enuff to hit that area, then you should get your SA

If you want to run your game that way, more power to you. It's not what the
rules say though.

> Also, does this Feat negate concealment by magical means? (ie - blur,
> invisibility)

As the rules are written, IPS negates Blur since Blur gives Concealment and
doesn't give Total Concealment.

Invisibility DOES give Total Concealment, so IPS won't help.

On Sun, 29 May 2005 14:08:59 -0700, "Shawn Wilson"
<Ikonoqlast@yahoo.com> wrote:

:
:"Master Grunthros the Flatulent" <Erich__G@hotmail.com> wrote in message
:news:eek:Lome.4987$%Z2.4761@lakeread08...
:
:> IPS feat states that you can ignore everything short of total cover and
:> total concealment. Does this then allow a rouge to use their SA ability
:> when within 30 feet of a creature with partial cover? Or does the rule
:> about not being able to SA a creature with concelment/cover still apply?
:
:
:Sneak attack specifically states that it can't be used against targets with
:concealment. The IPS description does not say that it makes concealment go
:away, just that the player can ignore its effects. No sneak attack.

But isn't the inability to use sneak attack
one of the *effects* of concealment, which
presumably the character with IPS can ignore?
:

--
/buddha@nirvana.net/h:k

George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'

"George W Harris" <gharrus@mundsprung.com> wrote in message

> :Sneak attack specifically states that it can't be used against targets
> with
> :concealment. The IPS description does not say that it makes concealment
> go
> :away, just that the player can ignore its effects. No sneak attack.
>
> But isn't the inability to use sneak attack
> one of the *effects* of concealment, which
> presumably the character with IPS can ignore?

No. The Sneak Attack description specifically states that "a Rogue cannot
sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment." The concealment
description nowhere describes immunity from sneak attacks as an effect of
concealment. And the IPS description only says that it allows you to ignore
AC bonus and miss chance from concealment, not any other effects. You're
still concealed against a character with IPS, you just don't get the AC
bonus or miss chance.