Sign in with
Your question

"Access is denied" message for other user

Tags:
  • Brother
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
February 9, 2003 2:38:19 AM

I keep getting this message when accessing anything that is for my brother's user account. The thing is, it's not because I want to access his stuff, but rather because I cannot fully defragment the drive. DiskKeeper's analysis screen shows so much red fragments, and when I check what is fragmented, it all belong to my brother's files (as in the folder they are contained in, has a root with his user account name). If I tried to access them, whether from Command Prompt or in explorer, I can't. The files vary from temp internet files, to plain files. Though not all his files are denied of access.

Any ideas just how can I remove this lock so I can defragment the drive properly?

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

More about : access denied message user

February 9, 2003 5:21:01 AM

You need to have administrator priviledge to access his files.
If your comp is set to use <b>Simple File sharing</b>, you need to disable it first (it's in Folder Options, uncheck the last line). Right-click his folder, choose <b>Properties</b>, then <b>Security</b> tab. Add your user name or administrators and check appropriate permission.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
February 9, 2003 5:21:46 PM

I wish that were applying to my case, I have no options for unchecking!
The last option in the VIEW tab is 'Show popup description for folder and desktop items'.

I am using WinXP Home.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
Related resources
February 9, 2003 7:36:46 PM

Sorry, didn't realize that you use Home version, but you can still access NTFS permission on other way.
Start your Windows in <b>Safe mode</b>. It will provide <b>Security</b> tab (it's the same as Win2000's interface), and you can set permissions there.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
February 11, 2003 1:49:37 AM

Unfortunatly, when I went there, not only was I a bit confused, but the permissions were all set properly for my user, or the main admin one! (we both are admins btw)
And this is what just strikes me as odd, we can't encrypt, and file permissions are set to everyone, so why the heck am I getting such error?
When a DiskKeeper support agent had me do some CACS command in the command prompt to set permissions, it skipped the very same folders of my brother.

--
February 12, 2003 1:26:46 PM

I don't think you can access his files or folders since he also has adminitrative priviledge, and EFS (<b><font color=red>E</b></font color=red>ncrypting <b><font color=red>F</b></font color=red>ile <b><font color=red>S</b></font color=red>ystem) is not available in Home version.

February 12, 2003 7:59:28 PM

So what do you suggest I try doing?
Locking his user to Limited account?
It's a true hassle that even in Safe Mode I cannot access or defrag his files.

--
!