• AMD
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2002 2:39:06 PM

Hello,

( Sorry about my english... )
Im Guy and Im going to buy computer...

I read all yours articels in the Guides on the web.
and i want to ask question :
I dont know what to buy Intel Pentium based system or
AMD Based system - i read the last artical abaut
the compare between the AMD XP 2300+ and The PENTIUM
3000 and i saw all the results... - ( AMD is the BEST
in general... when comparing two with the same Freq.)

I want to know if those system under normal conditions
(without water cooling system and without overclocking ) will give the same results ( diffrential ) ?

I want to know this answer becouse maybe in
diffrential way the AMD System can work more
overclocking from the Pentium and those are the
reseone for the results, and this, dont
help for normal user.

if you can answer me what to preffer ( AMD XP 1800+ or
PENTIUM 1800 ) in Normal Conditions...

Please Detail your answer as much as you can
Couse its very importent to me - and i understand
those computer stuff ( i will understand detail
answer... ).

Thanks Very Very Much,
Guy.

More about : amd pentium

a c 159 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 3, 2002 3:04:16 PM

For cost effectiveness and performance, I would go with a generic system from pricewatch. Just click on "pc windows" and select your processor speed. Avoid the pentium 4 systems that use socket 423 (probably discontinued by now) or sdram (any with the intel 845 chipset). I would select an athlon xp 1900 system with a ddram board. You may find an ECS K7S5A system (will work with either sdram or ddram- use ddram). Avoid any athlon integrated systems, unless they use the nforce motherboard (with the K7N420 chipset). All systems come with some version of windows. Avoid windows ME; go for win98se or windows xp. Call up the vender, and get a build time, and use a credit card, in case you don't get what you ordered, so you can stop payment.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2002 3:26:57 PM

What with the KT266A - If this a good chipset
for the AMD CPU ?
( for what WEB you mean ? )

Thank's,
Guy.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2002 3:38:03 PM

Hi,
for the AMD CPU ?

What you think is the best chipset ???
between those two - KT266A or ALI1647CI ???

Where i can find more Websites that do those compares ?
Thank's,
Guy.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2002 3:38:07 PM

Hi,
for the AMD CPU ?

What you think is the best chipset ???
between those two - KT266A or ALI1647CI ???

Where i can find more Websites that do those compares ?
Thank's,
Guy.
February 3, 2002 3:44:42 PM

There's really not much understand.

An Athlon XP2000+ (clocked at 1667MHz) performs better (overall) than a 2000MHz P4 Northwood but worse than a 2200MHz P4 Northwood:

1.P4 2200MHz Northwood
2.Athlon XP2000+ (1667MHz)
3.P4 2000MHz Northwood

So in that way you can say that overall the P4 needs to be about 500MHz higher clocked than the Athlon XP in order give the same performance. Notice that the two CPU's each have their strong and weak sides. Intel uses a different architecture that results in, what you could call, varying performance. So it's not easy to get a clear picture of which processor is fastest; it depends on the task. All applications which can take advantage of the P4's SSE2 instructions will generally do very well.

In my opinion a P4 Northwood only makes sense if you want to overclock, otherwise it's a bad performer and high priced compared to Athlon XP.

A user like you should definitely chose a cheap AMD. Athlon XP1500+ to XP1700+ depending on prices in your local area. If you want a really good and cheap system follow o1die's advice but substitute the XP1900+ with a XP1700+.

<i>/Copenhagen</i>

<b><i>Seagate Barracuda IV.
Bad performance in RAID setups!
</i></b>
February 3, 2002 6:02:17 PM

Currently I may look biased on this but it's nothing but the truth in today's CPUs and non-overclockers:
Your best bet on money will go for AMD now.
If anything, their prices are rock-bottom unbeatable.
You've got a wide assortment of chipsets, but my favorite is the VIA KT 266A, because it is the top performing chip at low price. You may not want to pay a lot so the Epox 8KHA+ is the motherboard of choice and has been given many awards as being the top mainboard for a while until Abit KR7s.
As for RAM get a 256 DDR PC2100 from OCZ, as they are lower priced than Crucial and both are brand named so you are guaranteed good performance and stability.
Now you want an AthlonXP, as it will definitly be the best choice for money saving. Many benchmark sites have shown that the AXP 2000 is on par with the Northwood 2.2GHZ, and the AXP is 1.66GHZ. It costs roughly half the price of the 2.2GHZ and is still less than the 2GHZ NW.
If you don't overclock, save money and get the retail AthlonXP so you won't worry about heat problems or choosing from tons of good heatsinks. If you also want to save money, the AthlonXP 1700 is now the best bang for the buck yet. In Canadian dollars it costs 220$ Retail which is damn good (divise by 1.5 for US) and offers roughly P4 2GHZ performance overall but is definitly better than a P4 1.7GHZ in almost all benchs.

So AMD in conclusion, is your friend for now!

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...
February 3, 2002 7:55:03 PM

Eden is spot on right.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
February 3, 2002 8:31:25 PM

Quote:
In Canadian dollars it costs 220$ Retail which is damn good (divise by 1.5 for US)

More like 1.6 even 1.65 damn CAD

Are we really ready for "contact" ?
February 3, 2002 8:56:54 PM

Yes around 1.6 now, the Canadian dollar is at an all time low, damn recession.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
February 3, 2002 10:48:46 PM

AHHH!!!
Crap now I gotta reconfigure my brain for calculating 1.6, damn! I was used to calculate mentally the half of the US cost and add it to the total to make CDN, now I don't know any tactic for 1.6! Damn you recession! No wonder US prices were low...

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...
!