Solved

Number keys on my dell laptop dont work

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Dell Inspiron
  • Dell
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
July 20, 2011 3:02:52 AM

I have a two year old Dell Inspiron fifteen forty five laptop. The number keys work only sporadically. If I keep tapping on one it will eventually start working most of the time, and then others will start working sporadically also. No other keys have a problem. Then after being shut down for a while the problem gets worse again. I dont even know if this is hardware or software, although the fact that it gets better after attempting to type numbers for a while leads me to think it isnt hardare. Any solutions?

More about : number keys dell laptop dont work

a b D Laptop
July 20, 2011 5:06:30 PM

you need to run some keyboard diagnostic to determine if it's hardware or software. If you call up dell, a tech can help you step by step through the process.
m
l
July 20, 2011 6:13:20 PM

AntiZig said:
you need to run some keyboard diagnostic to determine if it's hardware or software. If you call up dell, a tech can help you step by step through the process.

Thanks. I'm out of warranty, but if I need to I can try that. Since it comes and goes, and only affects the number keys (the whole row), could it be something like a short in a wire?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b D Laptop
July 20, 2011 8:49:13 PM

yes it could be the ribbon wire going bad over time or the connection to the motherboard getting bad due to age or dust.
August 4, 2011 8:42:54 PM

Best answer selected by bgadams.
m
l
August 4, 2011 8:43:30 PM

I wound up taking my laptop to a repair shop where they replaced my keyboard. Thanks for your help.
m
l
!