AST Bravo 5200 upgrade

G

I've read Tom's article on upgrading old 430HX chipset boards with AMD processors. In the article 3 processors are mentioned, all variations on the K6 500 MHz model. I've found a AMD K6-2 550MHz OEM cheap that I'd like to use. Do you suppose it will be ok? Also, any suggestions on how to jumper the board. I'm planning on using the unit as a RedHat 7.2 webserver. Any advice greatly appreciated

Peace,
Mike

so the universal thump is passed round, all hands should rub each others shoulder's and be content

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've actually done a few AST's like this. First of all, make sure the board supports Intel MMX processors, as those are 2.8v, while non MMX were 3.4v.

The reason you'll want the 2.8v core setting is because it eliminates the need for that expensive Powerleap adapter. You see, the AMD K6-2 can handle 2.8v with proper cooling.

OK, so once you've made sure that your core voltage is 2.8v (the MMX setting), all you need to do is install the K6-2 and set it to 2x multiplier, then install that good cooler. The 2x multiplier is interpreted as 6x by the CPU itself, giving you 400MHz. Unless you can figure out how to get something higher than a 66MHz FSB, 400 will be your limmit. If you can get 75MHz FSB, you can make it 450.

For cooling I recommend an inexpensive Socket 462 Athlon cooler, as Socket 7 coolers are usually inadequate, but Athlon coolers are more than sufficient.

Now that it's installed, I bet you'll be confused by the fact that BIOS tells you it's a 133. Don't worry about it, BIOS doesn't understand this speed. Instead, use a program such as WCPUID to identify the true speed.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

thanx Crashman. now to find some cheap EDO ram :)

Peace,
Mike

so the universal thump is passed round, all hands should rub each others shoulder's and be content

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Er, yes sir, your contribution has allowed me to drop my prices by $12 a unit, which I quickly turned into a $20 drop in order to boost sales, I still make at least $30 a unit! Damn, at this rate, soon I'll be selling at a loss!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?