Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking with a gig of ram doesn't work right.

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
February 3, 2002 8:46:17 PM

Well for a long while I had my P4 2.0A running at 2200ghz, then I bought new samsung memory single sided one gig worth. This is rdram by the way.

Then I started getting bsod's at boot up, when I turned the cpu down to 2.0 I got no more BSOD's it rather sucks though. Oh well. Wondering if anyone else got this problem. Raystonn said that samsung can go up to 1066 with no problem and I only had it at 840 to clock my cpu to 2200ghz.

I use the TH7II which keeps the PCI/AGP in spec in fix mode, someone proved this already. Oh well.

Also the TH7II was having trouble rebooting something when overclocking, it would just not boot and had to hit reset sometimes then it would boot.

I am not sure if the fault is the cpu, memory or just the bios.

More about : overclocking gig ram work

February 3, 2002 9:23:16 PM

ahhh the problems of overclocking :-)

remember than when your overclocking your system bus your pushing lots of different things.

in your case the problem is most likely to be the rdram clock generator on the motherboard. your ram can handle the high speeds, but the clock generator cannot.

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :) 
February 4, 2002 12:03:49 AM

Yeah, rayy swears up and down samsung will all do 1066....apparently not.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
Related resources
February 4, 2002 12:23:06 AM

I was running my ram at 880mhz I could under clock the ram with X4 but then I would be running my memory too slow.
February 4, 2002 7:15:02 AM

10% oc on a RDRAM isnt to much, is it?

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
February 4, 2002 7:19:26 AM

Hey this is a side-note question..but with that much RAM what if you set aside say 300Mb for a Ramdrive and then install a game on it. Would your performance increase much? I guess it would depend on the game...I bet something like Microsoft Flight simulater would benefit.
February 4, 2002 3:23:10 PM

check HardOCP forums, strictly Intel, a few guys have done it, the limitation is the clock generator for the RDRAM.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.
February 4, 2002 6:42:22 PM

74, I didnt mean no samsung 800 would do 1066, I was commenting on how raystonn swears ALL pc800 will do 1066(or nearly all) and how in this case, that is not in evidence.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
February 4, 2002 7:49:19 PM

all I'm saying is 90% of the time, the limitation isn't the RIMM, its the motherboard.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.
!