Ultra Mega Soopa Doopa Future PC comming up!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
this site has decent PC hardware predictions, but the thing that caught my eye was the new celleron!!!!

inamgine this folks!

Socket 478 - goin good so far
Celleron 1.8Ghz - allright, but what core design?
0.18 micron p4 core design - hmmmmmm
400fsb - hmmm
cache reduced to 128k - ewwww

and i can see it now!!! big companies gleefully mating that crippled P4 to a lovely 845 mobo with glorious PC133 sdram (at cas 3 for spice),
topped off with a tnt2, geforceMX or integrated graphics.

the sad thing is it WILL happen with compac or dell or whatever. u know it will :-(

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I think the memory when using SDRAM on P4 is 100Mhz isnt it?

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
noooo
think it just runs off a 1/3 divider
i.e. 100 quad pumped = 400
400/3 = 133.3333

but still, i can see crap loads of people seeing the magical label saying 1.8Ghz... going WOW... buying... then finding out it truly sucks.

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
What a beauty! Hmm, it might just be under the performance of a 1.2GHz Celly Tually.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
I had already heard about this, except that I didn't know they were going to use the .18 micron process. I mean, what's the point?

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
What are people going to say when they find out that a 1.8GHz Celeron is slower than a 1.3GHz Celeron?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Nothing, and they will still buy it because it's from INTEL, it's NEWER and hell it COST MORE so it just HAS to be better. People beleive what they see on tv. If the INTEL-TELETUBBIES say it's good in a tv add, then it's good. End of discussion.
BTW, I bought a teletubbies pc game OH OH!

Are we really ready for "contact" ?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
what do u mean 'whats the point'????

its a

C E L L E R O N

does that word mean anything to u? ;)
i betcha oddles of money they are gonna do like they have in the past... just keep churning out the higher rated CPU but with half the cache disabled (or flawed).

who knows... maybe they allready have a big bin of flawed p4 cpu's just ready to be rebadged as cellerons.

i wonder however about performance...
inevitably the P4-cellery will be mated with SDRAM is the majority of systems...
how will these stack up against the older tully based celleron??? (which has more cache incidentally)

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>>
Socket 478 - goin good so far
>>> lets hope intel doesnt go for another socket change, lets say nanoPGA564!
Celleron 1.8Ghz - allright, but what core design?
>>> heck its Williamette!
0.18 micron p4 core design - hmmmmmm
>>>thats great, itsa P4!
400fsb - hmmm
>>> ya know, its 400 MHz! yes, 400 MHz!!
(<i>ssshhhhhhhh. dont tell anybody it really runs at 100 MHz!</i>)
cache reduced to 128k - ewwww
no sir! its 256k and thats great! full two hundred and fifty six kilos of it!

Wait a minute! arent we talking about the Williamette Pentium4 we used to talk about yesterday? yes sir! intel is renaming the older Pentium4 as a celeron. Showing the P4 its place??? in the value segment that means <i>slow and cheap</i>? YES!

and whats more, it will be teamed up with the ever popular PC133 SDRAM working at 133 MHz, and a great chipset of the century the i845G that will have a integrated graphics, the world famous i752 core that not too many people know about!

I would go crazy about it, just waiting for it to arrive.. mmmm! Its my next system already.

Wonder how fast it will go down in a river 2.36578 feet deep? faster than it boots up? or faster than it goes into eveybody's homes?

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

svol

Champion
If you throw it off a building, will it be booted up before it hits the ground or is the gravitation-acceleration (or however you write this in English) faster?

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i have to admit there are some things about the P4 i really like...

impossible to screw up heatsink attachment
heatspreader
thermal protection
quad pumped bus
sse2

however taking off half the cache, or worse yet, just disabling half, aint good math for the poor end consumer.

on the up side, at least Current P4 owners know that they havent quite got a celleron :)

i wonder at the benchmarks...
duron 1.4/athlon 1.4/celleron 1.4 (0.13 p3 core)/1.8 p4 celleron.

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
You got to be kidding right ?

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/04020212.htm" target="_new"><b>5Ghz Air Cooled Itainum/P4 ?</b></A> - now thats what I call a 'Ultra Mega Soopa Doopa Future PC' !!!

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mr_gobbledegook on 02/04/02 06:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ummm.... no?
we are serious! :p

to me that celleron will be the pinacle of hollowHertz, or AirHertz... Max Mhz, minimum possible performance.

*thinks* building my ultimate hollowhertz system here:

P4 cellery 1.8Ghz with 128k L2 cache
845 mobo with 12mb integrated graphics & onboard sound.
128mb PC133 cas 3 sdram
5400rpm HDD

if i ever won a system like that in a raffle i would be embarrised to resell it... unless someone i hated wanted it ;-)