MOBILE Pentium 4 (P4 LAPTOP NOTEBOOK)

G

Have any of you recently seen the posts of P4 Laptops on Pricewatch? 1.6, 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0 and even a 2.2 by a company called Netlux.com. They're not that expensive either, with the 2.0 Ghz model at just below $1500 US.

Whats even funnier, is that intel.com has nothing on the subject. WHY IS THAT?!

On netlux.com It says it has an 845 chipset, which presumably uses PC133 SDRAM in SODIMM configuration (up to 1024MB of RAM!!), also it has 512KB of onDie cache, isn't that a Northwood chip then? .13micron. Wow. I wish there were some more info on this new laptop migration of the P4. Now, dont get me wrong, I'm an AMD enthusiast, but neither AMD nor Intel has caught my attention with their recent laptop options, especially since I have a XP 2000 with a Geforce 3 ti500, kr7a-raid with on a stripe 0 with a couple of ibm 60gigs, its kinda hard to sink down to a 1.2 Ghz for nearly twice what i paid for my desktop configuration. But, on a laptop, even if it IS Intel, something above 1.2ghz, WOW. And the Netlux.com version says it will run up to 2 hours on a single battery charge, more than likely less than one hour at full performance, but still. WOW. 2.2Ghz on your laptop. You think there would be more press coverage or marketing about this. Anyone care to comment?

G

i wonder if it will give you 2nd degree burns while its on your lap. :)

Chooco

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2001
no that's if you have a mobile overclocked to hell AMD ;)

there aren't good processors for laptops because you don't need them, what do you use the mobile computer for? word? excel? maybe some internet and maybe powerpoint right?
you just don't need more than 1200mhz (even Celeron grade mhz)

Windows has started.
Would you like to play another game?

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm pretty sure its not a mobile P4, its a desktop P4 in a laptop.
I'm also willing to bet that 2 hour battery charge is highly optimistic, my laptop advertised from many sources about 3.5 hours battery life, when I start something serious, the battery is dead within a half hour.
If I'm just listening to MP3s, 5 or 6 hours is the norm.
This is only 700Mhz running at about 24watts.
The slowest .13 P4 is pulling around 40watts still.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you can remember back to my comdex post, I talked about how THG missed the biggest industry news with the I845M and a 1.6A P4 mobile being shown off by Intel, I believe it had DDR ram too.

Netlux is actually "mitac" jumping the gun on the release of the P4-M. Not supprised since Award introduced speedstep into the bios over a month ago.

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, I called them up, they said it is, in fact, a mobile processor.
the guy didn't sound real intelligent, it took three times to get it out of him, but he said it is the P4 M.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here is the link to <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">my comdex post.</A>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
hard to sink down to a 1.2 Ghz for nearly twice what i paid for my desktop configuration. But, on a laptop, even if it IS Intel, something above 1.2ghz, WOW. And the Netlux.com version says it will run up to 2 hours on a single battery charge, more than likely less than one hour at full performance, but still. WOW. 2.2Ghz on your laptop. You think there would be more press coverage or marketing about this. Anyone care to comment?

I believe amd just released a mobile chip at 1300mhz, I personally dont understand the laptop unless you HAVE to be mobile, its way more expensive and slower than a desktop, what really gets me is when people buy laptops and plug them into the wall and treat them as desktops lol.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Yep moblile P4's will soon be avaliable in Q202. However they produce too much heat and laptops will require an extra fan just to keep the beast cool. (Source:<A HREF="http://news.com.com/2100-1040-276952.html" target="_new">P4 too hot too handle ?</A>).

As for AMD they are currently refining thier micro PGA Athlon 4 for ultra slim notebooks(<A HREF="http://www.vanshardware.com/news/2002/02/020201_PC/020201_PC.htm" target="_new">Source</A>), take at look at that teeny tiny chip ! it only measures 33mm square !!

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

G

>I personally dont understand the laptop unless you HAVE to
>be mobile, its way more expensive and slower than a desktop

Laptops are very convenient; Take it home, take it to a customer, take it on the road, on holiday for storing my digital photos,etc, etc.. you always have everything with you. I wouldnt want to live without one for my professional needs. As for the speed; im typing this on a 700 Mhz P3, and I sure wish I had something faster.. for my Siebel, even for my incredibly heavy Outlook mailbox and 20+ Mb word documents I work on. It manages, but just barely. Of course, Id also like to be able to play RTCW on this thing when im on an airplane, so I cant wait for my Geforce togo or Radeon enabled portable :))

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

TRENDING THREADS