i486SX

CPU: Intel i486SX 33mhz
It seems to work fine @ 50mhz.
There is no way of putting a heat sink and/or fan on the chip, the only fan there is in the PSU.
Do I need another fan, like have one fitted at the front of the case somehow so that air will get drawn in through the box?

I have no signature
38 answers Last reply
More about i486sx
  1. I don't think you need one. But if you really want to put a heatsink on it put the thermal paste in the middle, some superglue in the four corners, and put the heatsink on it until it sticks. Make sure the hsf isn't too big as it may rip the processor off the socket.

I don' think, those things needed active cooling until the 486dx66.

<font color=red><i>I refugee from Guatanamo Bay,
    dance around the border like I'm Cassius Clay
    </i></font color=red>
  2. What a killer system!
    Mind if you bench it and give us some results? Man I'd love that!

--
    The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...
  3. You're right about the active cooling for DX-2 66.
    But his SX 33 is <font color=red>OVERCLOKED TO 50mhz</font color=red>

Are we really ready for "contact" ?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pike on 02/04/02 10:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  4. i just finished hacking together an ancent OEM box (a 486DX2/50MHz), and it has a total of two fans: one in the power supply, and one blowing at an angle about two inches from the bare CPU. I've seen some OEM P133's with mere heatsinks on them. So I'd say if he wants anything at all on that little 486, just put a lightweight passive heatsink on it and be done with it. Cheap thermal epoxy would probably be the way to go to attach it.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?
  5. yeah it's pretty sad compared to the industrial coolers needed just to run an athlon at a barely tolerable temperature.

<i>Hi I am from Canada, I don't use amd cause they melt my igloo eh.</i>
  6. yea, it is pretty sad comparing the heatsink from a 5watt processor to a heatsink from a 50+ watt processor.
    The P4 is the same way.
    idiot.

----------------------
    Independant thought is good.
    It won't hurt for long.
  7. hear hear! :smile:

MasterPoo@mybeast.myhome.melbourne.vic.au.sothernhemisphere.3rdplanet.sol.milkyway.universe
  8. My P2 @ 300MHz was running with just a heatsink... There was a air baffle in the case to direct some air to the heatsink, but really, not much got there. What do you expect from an OEM, eh? And there are some heatsinks out there that allow you to have a fan blowing on it from a good way away, and the CPU does stay at a reasonable temp... not exactly an oc heatsink, though.

-SammyBoy
  9. Damn, what are you going to do with such a powerful system? Out of curiousity, how much RAM do you have?

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"
  10. I have an old Compaq P166 which only has one very large heatsink on the CPU, I tried to OC it but that st*pid Compag baod doesn't let it run higher. But I also have my Pentium 75 which I may OC someday to 90 or maybe even 100 MHz.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .
  11. you kids need to grow up, calling me names doesn't make you look good.

12. Stop being sarcarstic with this guy. Just last weekend i set up a 486 SL-66(or DSL can't remember the exact id) with 16 ram/670med DD/Vesa 1 meg vid/asus vesa ide, serial and parallel controler/4X cd-rom/sb pro sound and you know what: the damn thing works fine. Win 95 sr2 too boot.
    Fun DOS games, ya have to have dos games with a sys like that. It's the most quit pc i have ever seen. Passive cpu cooling.
    <font color=red>long life to the 486</font color=red>

Are we really ready for "contact" ?
  13. making uneducated commments about the heat output of the AMD processors in comparison to the heat output of a 486 is idiotic.
    You're lack of education and willingness to show it off as an asset doesn't make you look good.

better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

----------------------
    It won't hurt for long.
  14. Ya, just j/k about the o/c.
    The DX-2 came out in 2 voltage variations, one needed active cooling. One of my DX-2 66s did have a fan, the other, a DSL or SL-66, (overdrive variety) did have only a passive heat sink. My dual digital p-133 socket 5 was <font color=red>passive</font color=red>cooled.

Are we really ready for "contact" ?
  15. What a load of BOLLOCKS. Starting arguments over a comparison of the heat production between a 486 and an Athlon. It was merely a comment, and it's true. There is no need to call someone an idiot because of this. I suppose you're a genius though, and there is nothing more you can learn. Oh, and i can tell you're perfect as well.

Anyway, regarding a hsf on it, you probably wouldn't need one because old IC's and CPU's are far more robust than the modern ones of today. (I once scrathed the silicone casing on a 486-33, and it still worked, where as the athlon probably wouldn't.)
  16. well, the idiot comment spurs from his complete and uncontrollable facination with Intel, the guy is a troll. hang around, you'll see what I mean.
    He didn't say it as an current tech vs old, he said it as AMD vs Intel, which is completely rediculous considering the time frame. Look around, there are people that agreed with me.
    The boy has no intelligent thoughts to put forth, he just posts every couple of threads about how AMD sucks and Intel is God, considering how it is a hunk of silicon, it crunches numbers and he's all religious about it. yes. He is an idiot.
    What silicon are you talking about you scratched on a 486 anyway? How?
    And for the record, I do apologize, I stooped to their level of flames.

----------------------
    It won't hurt for long.
  17. Mmm, so maybe it don't need one, is there a good DOS(freeware) app for looking @ the CPU temp, just to see how hot the little bugger is getting?

I have no signature
  18. yeah it was just a comment, I was commenting on how the cooling requirements for processors have gone up so much. I just happened to use athlons as an example.

But some people here try and start a fight out of anything, very sad.

19. Thanks I appreciate the apology. It is good when people realize when they were wrong.

20. <b>marshyboyjnr:</b>
    Since you've been here all of two days, I'll "nicely ask" that you lay off 74merc.

intel_inside's a troll with next to no technical knowledge at all and nothing worthwile to offer these forums. He insults AMD every chance he gets, whether the insults are baseless (like the one in this thread) or not. As far as most of us are concerned, he deserves whatever insult he gets for posting his BS.

<b>intel_inside:</b>
    You're not wanted. Even Intel fans don't want you around. I'm sorry you lack the competence to offer anything useful here, but that's your fault, not ours.

<b>Topz:</b>
    There's probably no software out there to monitor the temperature of a 486. Your system is from a time long before software temperature/voltage monitoring was the norm or even a widely sought-after feature of PCs, so the hardware necessary to do what you're asking probably isn't in there. You could conceivably tape a temperature probe on top of your CPU, but the accuracy would be very questionable.

P.S. sorry about the miniature soap opera concerning intel_inside. i might as well let you know that these forums are unmoderated, so we get a lot of that crap here.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?
  21. kelledin I won't go away just because you and matisaro don't like me. I don't appreciate these personal attacks, obviously some people on this board have personal problems and they take it out on the internet. It's very sad, and I hope you guys are able to fix your lives.

22. I wasn't apologizing to you idiot.

----------------------
    It won't hurt for long.
  23. You go girl! :)

--
    The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...
  24. out of all your posts, i have found none to be constructive. you waste my time cluttering interesting threads. i dont think any one thought your post was simply a coment about the greater cooling requirements now. it was obvious you were knocking amd. trolls like you ruin this board.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.
  25. uhm... thanks.
    but, I'm not a chick... I am outnumbered in my own house, it was my little brother running around in dress up clothes...
    somehow my daughter convinced my little bro to play dress up... the horror...

<i>Better to be silent and thought an idiot than to speak and remove all doubt.</i>
  26. LoL, why drag me into this intel I didnt say anything to you, im sick of your personal attacks ::sniffle::.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
    No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
  27. Thanks anyway, I'll put a fan in somehow or I try and sick a heat sink on the chip, BTW the information regarding the transvestism was not really needed but thanks for the insight?

I have no signature
  28. Your post tells one tale, your sig tells another.

Quote:
    But some people here try and start a fight out of anything, very sad.

Think about what you just said, and ask yourself if you have not tried to do that very same thing.

RAM Disk is not an instalation step.
  29. Quote:
    It is good when people realize when they were wrong.

Is this a do as he says, not as he does comment Intel?

RAM Disk is not an instalation step.
  30. Lol!
    No sorry I was just using a funny expression used when we back up someone for his statements! I just like that one, so funny!

--
  31. There are coolers (heatsink with fan) that attach to the CPU itself! Radio Shack still carries them to my knowledge. I have a few lying around still I think. You should be able to clock it up to 66MHz with a cooler.
    If it's a Socket2 instead of socket 3, you could easily clip on a Pentium cooler (or even an Athlon cooler, I used one of those to overclock an AMD DX2/66 to 200MHz once)! Or you could glue on a cooler using a thin coating of JB Weld metalic adhesive (available in hardware departments of most stores, as well as auto parts stores).

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
  32. I doubt it's the Compaq motherboard that is not allowing you to overclock, it's most likely a multiplier locked chip, they did that by disconnecting certain pins internally. Locked Pentiums can be clocked down but not up.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
  33. awwwww
    poor matti
    *HUGS*

MasterPoo@mybeast.myhome.melbourne.vic.au.sothernhemisphere.3rdplanet.sol.milkyway.universe
  34. NEC shipped countless P2 266 without a heatsink or fan.

NEC "ready" I believe was the model. I used one as a Linux server at home for about a year. and I never put a HSF on it. extreamly dependable machine that never crashed.
  35. Quote:
    Your post tells one tale, your sig tells another.

Like most of you, I use humour in my sig. Don't try and change the subject.

Quote:
    Think about what you just said, and ask yourself if you have not tried to do that very same thing.

Never, I bring up valid points and am attacked for them. People just enjoy taking what I say out of context, like in this thread. It's too bad, I assume alot of people are just unpleasent because their badly configured overclocked amd systems keep crashing on them, or maybe some people just don't know how to be mature. Whatever reason it is, I don't care.

36. Yes many CPUs can use heat sink only. The fastest one I have is a P3 933 (running at 133 bus) using only a server grade heat sink. Nice and quiet, not to menton no risk of fan failure =)

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
  37. Man, if you trolls don't leave this community sooner or later, I'm leaving THGC forever. It's ridiculous how THGC is the ONLY unmoderated community where trolls like you exist. I've lost most of my interest in these forums as I find that most of you guys have a very limited viewpoint/understanding of hardware and then blabber off blindly. I'm moving back to only programming sites and communities. At least there people work together to solve problems not create them. I'd rather design an app for modern processors rather than listen to you and AMDMeltdown blabber about the "superior" P4 with SSE2, when you don't truly know what SSE2 means to programmers. Sure, SSE2 is a great technology but not every app can make use of it.

Ok, I was going to go on and on about this, but I'm tired and I'm not wasting my time with you.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
  38. that's too bad

But I suppose if you don't like my views it's better to leave

Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Fan