REQ: Help : What are your ideas on this ?

h3lm3t

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
Hey thanx for looking, I need help in getting a system up and running again.

The computer run fine for about 6 months, then after about 3 hours of running it suddenly gave up the ghost.

I opened it up and looked at the insides of the power supply, the PCB was charred, I renewed the PSU with a Mercury 350w PSU. Switched back on and nothing, still dead.

I purchased a new motherboard, and carefully removed all the components, placed them on cardboard on a wooden desk. I installed the new motherboard and reseated all essential components (3 times now), ensuring that the motherboard was not shorting on the case, connected up the new PSU again and switched on.

SYSTEM

533 Mhz Celeron Socket 370 : CPU fan + Heatsink
Jetway 694TAS motherboard (on board sound)
350w Mercury PSU
64 MB SIMM 100Mhz Branded memory - Replaced with new 32MB 100Mhz Branded memory
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP - (Primary display)
20 Gb HD (Working - Tested on other system) - IDE Primary Master
52x CD-rom - IDE Secondary Master (Not connected to motherboard yet)

Monitor connected.
Keyboard connected.

No other devices attatched.

When i push the power switch ON at the front, the caps-lock, scroll-lock and numpad LED's light on the keyboard.

The system now gives a display, a black screen, but does not POST, or even reach the BIOS, the PSU fan works, and there is output from the PSU because the CPU fan turns, and power LED at front lights up.

It continues like this no display and then the monitor cuts to stand-by, the fans inside still turn until I cut the power with the PSU switch at the back. There is no hard disk activity during this time.

At first I used the AUTO detect jumpers, same as above happened.
I set the FSB jumpers to 66Mhz : and the Clock jumpers to x8, same as above happened.
I set the FSB jumpers to 66Mhz : and the Clock jumpers to x2, same as above happened.

removed all components, changed memory, and stared building again.

I am aware of static etc, i used rubber gloves to install all components.

Im pretty sure its the processor thats gone, my reasoning :

If the display card was broken, it would still POST the BIOS, and BEEP me clear
If it was the memory that was broken, the BIOS again would BEEP and tell me.
And if the motherboard or PSU were broken they would not give me power LED, or allow the fans to work.

I'm in need of help, if you have any ideas I'd really much appreciate them, I have stripped this down 3 times now and it's getting pretty annoying.

Thanx very much in advance, regards, helmet.

<b>COUNTER TERRORISTS WIN </b> - Insert coin to continue.........ahhhhhhhhh

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Are you sure you have an FCPGA processor and not a PPGA? Is the top die of your processor a great 1" square chunk of nickel/copper or a small thumbnail size bluey ceramic thing?

If your MOBO is not beeping at you, check the speaker connection on the front panel. I'm sure you have done what the manual says, but sometimes the manual gets confused in the translation from Tiawanese.

h3lm3t

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
Hey sjonnie, thank you for the reply, my processor is in fact a great 1" square chunk of nickel.
This is the FCPGA i'snt ?

According to this <A HREF="http://www.pcassist.co.uk/html/Jetway_695TAS.htm" target="_new">http://www.pcassist.co.uk/html/Jetway_695TAS.htm</A>link the motherboard will accept both types of CPU, although i'm not convinced by the site.

I will check the PC speaker connection like you said.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards, h3lm3t.

8-|

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
No probs. Sorry to hear that you have a great 1" square chunk of nickel for a processor, that is a <A HREF="http://www.intel.com/support/processors/celeron/idyp.htm" target="_new">PPGA format Celeron</A>, not <A HREF="http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/cpu_support.htm" target="_new">supported by the 695TAS</A>. With a processor failure, your BIOS should issue a <A HREF="http://www.ami.com/support/doc/beep_codes.pdf" target="_new">beep code</A> so check that speaker connection could be faulty. If the processor is missing, or in this case completely incompatible I guess no sound will be produced.

svol

Champion
If your mobo doesn't give any beeps, even if you remove mem/videocard your CPU is broken (atleast that where the symptons I got when I fried my CPU), also if you can't use the normal powerbutton to shutdown the system it indicates that your CPU is bad.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

h3lm3t

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
Thank you again sjonnie, for doing ALL the ground-work for me.

I had visited the Jetway site and thought everything was ok, and that I had a FC-PGA chip, but your work proved me otherwise

I'm a bit annoyed now at the people who sold me the motherboard, I took screen dumps of the sites you showed me, to prove my point.

Again THANKS VERY MUCH, hope i can repay your help someday, but by the sound of it, it's going to be a long while before I can pay attention to detail.

Cheers, h3lm3t.

:cool:)))))))

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the CPU doesn't have to be dead, as stated above, the motherboard doesn't support PPGA.
as far as that motherboard is concerned, there is no processor.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
:redface: Hey thanks, btw if they sold you a MOBO without asking what sort 533MHz Celeron you had, you should take it back and swap it for something you actually need. Alternatively, you could upgrade your processor :smile: