CPU + heat = problems

lajemat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
I had a lot of problem since I bought a xp 1600+ with a K7S5A board. In the last month, every time I have played a game it was crashing. (I know it's a problem with the K7S5A) So I recently buy a new board and the problem is not cure. I know it's an heating problem but I don't know where it come from and what I should do to solve it...
Please help!!!

I'll be back...:)

G

first, buy an Asus motherboard, then get Asus Pc-Probe software and if it goes over 150 degrees, go get a nice Vantec cooler with a copper heatsink and 6800 rpm fan.

Microsoft is the Great Satan of Software, and I am a Devil-worshiper.

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
May I suggest that you post your system specs? People here can be of more help if you do. :smile:
What are your temps (case, cpu, & room)? What are you using to determine your temps? What hsf are you using? You said you bought a new motherboard. Which one? What case do you have, and what kind of fan setup does it have? What kind of power supply? That should be a good start!

Alcohol- the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. -Homer Simpson

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
heat is not the only culprit that can cause a computer to crash. driver problems, incompatibility, virus, too much crap running, bad ram, maybe your video card is over heating? i had to fix my vid card heat sink after broke the fan, i found that the heat sink that was attatched from the factory was only half covered with thermal compound adhesive. around the edges of the heat compound on the chip it was burned, the vid card worked just fine for a year though.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
more than CPU overheating can cauze crashes.
bad ram, bad harddrive, bad motherboard, bad powersupply, corrupt Windows Instillation

please send your system specifications.

does it crash when at idle?
does it seem to crash after a set amount of time?
does it crash when u run cpu intensive tasks?
or only games?

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

G

CPU temps, just some irrelevant crap...
I work for HP providing user support for employees who can't alter their desktop settings. Anyway, a few months back I received a call from a guy who was worried about the CPU temperature in his laptop. I don't know a lot about laptops, or the temperatures they run at, but I discovered that this guys P3 1ghz was running at 70C. Constantly. I investigated it, and it turned out that this was normal. I thought it was a bit high, but upon querying it, the Omnibook from HP has a sophisticated air flow system inside, apparently. I dunno, just thought this info may prove useful for someone.

G

CPU temps, just some irrelevant crap...
I work for HP providing user support for employees who can't alter their desktop settings. Anyway, a few months back I received a call from a guy who was worried about the CPU temperature in his laptop. I don't know a lot about laptops, or the temperatures they run at, but I discovered that this guys P3 1ghz was running at 70C. Constantly. I investigated it, and it turned out that this was normal. I thought it was a bit high, but upon querying it, the Omnibook from HP has a sophisticated air flow system inside, apparently. I dunno, just thought this info may prove useful for someone, somewhere.