Your question

CPU Upgrade questions?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2002 5:15:52 PM

Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading my PC, and any answers to the following questions would be appreciated:

How fast can one expect to overclock a northwood 1.6? (Using only default cooling, maybe a couple of extra fans)

Is it a bad idea to choose the EPOX SiS (to use cheap DDR memory) mobo, instead of the 850 (rambus)? How would this choice affect the overclocking?

Or, am I better of just going with an XP1700+ ?

Do I *definately* need a new case/psu for these upgrades? I think my current psu is 230w or something (used to power a C300A).

And finally : Is it worth even bothering upgrading at all, considering I'm gonna be stuck with a TNT2 Ultra for a while? (I want it for games).

Sorry for the long winded questions! And thanks if anyone can help.

More about : cpu upgrade questions

February 5, 2002 6:21:24 PM

Definately need a new Power supply is what i can tell ya, 300w at least but probably a little more.

February 5, 2002 11:12:06 PM

hey,

Yes, you surely need a new powersupply, at least 300 W, and you might want a nice big case with multiple fan mounts (the Antec SX830 has 5 fan mounts, and is 300W).

I dont know anything about the Epox mb, but i would personally go with DDR ram, cause its cheaper than Rambus, and i think Rambus is kinda going extinct... i would also go with an Athlon XP1700+, but if you're gonna overclock it, get a really good heatsink (the Alpha PAL 8045T or a Swiftech MCX series).

too bad about the TNT2 card... but you can get a GF2 MX for pretty cheap now adays.

good luck

<b>uraniborg
<font color=purple>"Brilliant thinkers have often met violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Related resources
February 5, 2002 11:19:44 PM

rambus is faster on the p4 platform, and it cost about the same as ddr ram. So ddr wouldn't be as good an idea on the p4 platform. Also 300watts would be fine for p4, but if you go for amd you will need at least 350 and a good cooling solution.

<i>Hi I am from Canada, I don't use amd cause they melt my igloo eh.</i>
February 6, 2002 4:56:14 AM

If you want to build system with a P4. I would suggest you get a motherboard base on Intel chipset. Intel's chipset have less compatibility problems.
February 6, 2002 5:04:03 AM

Quote:
rambus is faster on the p4 platform, and it cost about the same as ddr ram. So ddr wouldn't be as good an idea on the p4 platform. Also 300watts would be fine for p4, but if you go for amd you will need at least 350 and a good cooling solution.

A good 300w will power any amd, with no problems.

As for good cooling, if you dont overclock the retail heatsink is all you need.

Intel_inside dosent know what hes talking about, so ignore him.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
!