How much Thermal Paste?

richuncle

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2001
I just built my first computer and I remember people saying that you should use very little thermal paste when putting on the heatsink. My question is how much is a little? I was having some trouble putting the Dr. Thermal on and a couple times i took it off and I saw the thermal paste smeared on the bottom of the heatsink. Now on most parts I could see through the thin coat of paste and see the heatsink. And on others it was a little less transparent. What is the ideal level? I am getting 55-60 degrees on my XP 1900 using an Asus motherboard. Does anyone think I should go and try to reapply this stuff or should I just keep it the way it is? Thanks.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I'm not sure what Dr. Thermal is but your best bet is to go with thermal compound with silver in it, like Arctic Silver, not thermal paste. http://www.arcticsilver.com/
When you apply the compound make sure there is at least a thin layer covering the part of the CPU that comes in contact with the heatsink. If you put too much, that's okay. It shouldn't hurt anything. 55-60 degrees is hovering in crash territory.

What?

dhlucke

Polypheme
You really want a thin layer between the core and the HSF. There are full instructions on Arcticsilver's website. Basically a small dab is enough. Roughly the size of a grain of rice. You get better results that way.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
it depends too on what type of finish the bottom of the heatsink is. for eg. the volcano 6cu heatsink i'm using now requires me to put more ASII on the die then if i used say swiftech mcx370. the volcano's bottom has a rough/grooved copper plate. where the mcx370 is perfectly flat and smooth.

Dorks = people that use their system specs for sigs.

richuncle

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2001
Well I just looked at the walkthrough and I probably put too much paste on. I used the paste that came with my heatsink, the Dr. Thermal TI-V77L. It was some white cheap stuff probably. So now should I use pure isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth to remove the paste? The real worry is taking the heatsink off. I remember that being a real pain putting on. After putting the latch up, I don't think it is going to be an easy process pulling the hooks off.

richuncle

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2001
After looking at the walkthrough on articsilvers website, I think it is pretty safe to say that I did a pretty bad job applying the thermal paste. The paste I got with my Heatsink the Dr Thermal TI-V77L. So to clean this stuff off the site says I should use alcohol and a lint free cloth. The only thing I worry about is taking the heatsink off. I remember it being a little difficult putting on. After I put the latch up on the heatsink I don't know how I am going to unhook it. Should I pull to one side until the clamp is off the hook and then pull up?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
one thing to bear in mind...
asus boards have a tendancy to read higher than what the temp actually is, and asus probe can be extreemly unreliable.

i suggest u use Motherboard Monitor (MBM) 5

only the smallest amount is needed... just enough to fill the tiny groves on the heatsink/core surface.

MasterPoo@mybeast.myhome.melbourne.vic.au.sothernhemisphere.3rdplanet.sol.milkyway.universe