texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
So I see the hammer with have 3 hypertransport links. One for the northbridge and 2 for linking directly to other hammer computers. Supposedly these linked computers will act as one (for procesing purposes).
This doesnt seem like the same thing as dualies (MP setup). So if you hook two hammer computers together :

1. How are they hooked up? Nic card, serial (just kiddin), usb2? How the heck are they connected?

2. Will the linked computers be able to crunch a single file simultaneously. Ergo, work like a dualy by using two CPUs to crunch the same file?

Someone wanna explain this to me? I work with premeire and other cpu intensive apps and want to find out any advantages with linking two hammers. BTW my sources inside AMD arent saying anything (read: no repsonse to email)

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

leonov

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think you may be being confused by the Hypertransport links.

They are only for links within the system (according to AMD). Applications running on an operating system would expect to "see" a multiprocessor system which it would then use in the normal way.

Linking two or more computers together is usually done by using NICs and some cluster software. Nothing will be different in that respect.

That said it may happen that a Hypertransport link could be taken off into some new component and have its reach extended but AMD have said that they don't plan on using it this way and that 3GIO from Intel may be better. However with 1Gb Ethernet and possibly a 10Gb version soon I can't see that happening either.

L

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
The HyperTransport links are connected directly to other processors on the same mother-board - not other computers...
The High bandwith Hypertransport to hypertransport connection allow extremly fast SMP capabiltys...

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Thanks for the reply guys. So its smp capable, they just are not gonna release any boards for it right away. At least thats what is sounds like. I know the same chip will be used for desktop and server (except for cache), so now im really curious what the SMP boards will cost.
I seem to remember the Thunder boards being in the 500+ range. Too rich for my blood.
BTW, here is a link I found mulling over the uses of Hammer's 3 hypertransport links:
http://www.vanshardware.com/articles/2001/october/011017_Hammer/011017_Hammer.htm

Im not privy to high-end super-computing so only some of what that article said made since to me. Anyway wanna put it in layman's terms for the unwashed masses... me :)

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
I believe ClawHammer will support 1 and 2 processor systems. So, hopefully we'll see 2processor SMP ClawHammer systems about a year from now, with 4 and 8 way systems coming in another 3-6 months.

I also wonder at the price of these systems. AMD has in some ways simplified MB design by putting the memory controller right on the CPU, but only time will tell whether that will be passed on to consumers. I doubt it will be initially.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

G

I dont know what to say about this thread or that review but....aaaawwwww.....

Now I just want to know when I should sell my current system so that it isint comparatively the same as a Pentium200Mhz is now, a year form now.

I wonder how the 8x and AA on the GeForce 4's would run on a processor with that sort of architecture..

500/fs w/ FSAA here we come.

wwweeeeeeee......

TRENDING THREADS