Defect Palm IIIc screen

April 16, 2005 11:42:57 PM

Hi

I bought a used Palm IIIc a week ago. I noticed I had to push very
hard, but thought I just had to get used to it. But I haven't. It's
almost impossible to use the screen. I am lucky if it recognice the
letter I write. I also have a Palm Zire, and here I ahve no problems.

Does the screen loose its sensitivity? I don't believe it has always
been so in-sensitive, because, as said, it is almost useless.

First thing I did, when I got it, was to upgrade to OS 4.1. Could that
somehow be the reason? Is there a way to return back to OS 3.5?

Thomas
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 4:19:27 AM

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 at 17:42 GMT, <tlc@fabel.dk> wrote:

> Does the screen loose its sensitivity? I don't believe it has always
> been so in-sensitive, because, as said, it is almost useless.

Not the screen, but the digitizer can go bad.

http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen...
http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen...

> First thing I did, when I got it, was to upgrade to OS 4.1. Could that
> somehow be the reason? Is there a way to return back to OS 3.5?

I don't know.

--
http://cbsrmt.mousetrap.net/RMTdb/ CBS Radio Mystery Theater database
CBSRMT uploads each day in <news:alt.binaries.sounds.radio.cbsrmt>

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:42:57 +0200, Thomas L. Christensen
<tlc@fabel.dk> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I bought a used Palm IIIc a week ago. I noticed I had to push very
>hard, but thought I just had to get used to it. But I haven't. It's
>almost impossible to use the screen. I am lucky if it recognice the
>letter I write. I also have a Palm Zire, and here I ahve no problems.
>
>Does the screen loose its sensitivity? I don't believe it has always
>been so in-sensitive, because, as said, it is almost useless.
>
>First thing I did, when I got it, was to upgrade to OS 4.1. Could that
>somehow be the reason? Is there a way to return back to OS 3.5?
>

>Thomas

Not sure about the OS 4.1 updrade causing a problem. If you turn down
the brightness, does that improve the graffiti recognition? If I
recall, some of the IIICs had this problem right out of the box and
turning down the brightness helped. Also some had defective UP buttons
(or was it the DOWN button? - had to push more than once to
recognize.) as well as the back would crack after a period of time as
the battery would expand when it heated up.
April 17, 2005 6:21:27 AM

:I bought a used Palm IIIc a week ago.

Sorry, I have no advice for you but I have an advice for potential buyers of
used Palms: caveat emptor, i.e., in plainer English, don't buy used Palms
especially these days when even buying new Palms might require a certain
amount of courage and luck. I personally haven't bought any Palms in 2+
years even though my last Palm which is a TC is getting pretty old. /PaulN
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 10:33:12 AM

On 17 Apr 2005 00:19:27 GMT, Frater Mus <FraterMus2005@mousetrap.net>
wrote:

>> Does the screen loose its sensitivity? I don't believe it has always
>> been so in-sensitive, because, as said, it is almost useless.
>
>Not the screen, but the digitizer can go bad.
>
>http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen...
>http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen...

Thanks. I think I'll buy a new one....

Thomas
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 3:28:01 AM

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 at 02:21 GMT, <nevai@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

>:I bought a used Palm IIIc a week ago.
>
> Sorry, I have no advice for you but I have an advice for potential buyers of
> used Palms: caveat emptor, i.e., in plainer English, don't buy used Palms

I don't don't think I would equate "buyer beware" and "don't buy used
Palms".

Another datapoint: I bought two used Palm units of eBay and they both
work great.

--
!