Please help this Newbie build his 1st computer!!!

G

Hey guys,

I am building my very first computer and would greatly appreciate everyone's help in this venture.

I primarily use my computer for web surfing and viewing dvd/multimedia on it.

I have never,ever had a top of the line computer,with cutting edge tech.....so that is kind of what I wanted this time around.

I have no plans to OverClock just yet....maybe in the future, but not just yet!!!! I also think I would like a Pentium 4 chip.

This is what I had in mind (but since I have not purchased anything yet...all suggestions will be considered:

Natural Keyboard Pro (from old computer)
Intellimouse Explorer (from old computer)
Monitor (from old computer)
Case (need something cool looking and preferrably quiet)
CPU (Pentium 4 2.0 GHz - Retail)
MOBO (This is where I need the most help. I wanted something with decent onboard audio..5.1 preferred...I don't really understand RAID, so I don't really need that. Otherwise I just need stability and upgrade features. Basically high quality, low maintanence with room for upgrades in future. So far I was thinking of something based off the SiS 645.)
RAM (Based off of MOBO, but currently thinking of 2 x 256 of PC 2700 DDR for the SiS 645 chipset)
Video Card (ATI All-In-Wonder 8500 DV)

All comments are GREATLY appreciated. Please help with especially the MOBO. Also if anyone can recommend a good place to buy this stuff, I would like that too.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HELP. Thank you. I hope to buy the stuff this week and set it up by next week.

DVoted

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
booooo, i knew this would turn into an amd is better thread.
even though i agree with svol, the guy was not asking wich is better. if he is going top end obviously he can afford it. so why try to convince him other wise?

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

G

but why pay more for something that does not perform as well?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i understand the point completely, but this has been debated over and over again. some people still like intel, not too much is going to change that.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
booooo, i knew this would turn into an amd is better thread.
even though i agree with svol, the guy was not asking wich is better. if he is going top end obviously he can afford it. so why try to convince him other wise?

He actually said that he hadnt decided yet, and all suggestions would be appreciated!

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Consider the following.

Abit TH7-II w/RAID(onboard sound) $150
or a Asus P4T-E no sound (get audigy gamer has firewire too)
Intel P4 1.6A Northwood (huge overclocking potential) $143

I was dissappointed in the SiS645 chipset. stick with a RDR based motherboard as RDR prices are below DDR at PC2400+ speeds and better performance. Via chipset should be avoided too.

Get a 7200RPM drive, western digital or maxtor ata133 $90

Antec full tower case is about 100 bucks, 4x 80mm fan mounts, 2x 80mm come with case, not including the fan in the PSU. lots of room and drive bays. nice if you get the RAID mobo from abit.

2x 256MB RDR ram minimum $130 for both

Im still unhappy with ATI drivers, lots of issues still need to be fixed as well as "features" that are still not working. go with GF3/GF4 with vivo (video in video out)

You can run the 1.6Ghz @ 2.0Ghz very easily with the stock HSF.

This would be easy for first time builder to get right the first time. and you will be able to overclock easy later.

Best part is the stability of the i850 chipset boards.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>svol</b> just gave the alternative for him, and it depends on his decision to take it or not.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Buying parts online is best.

use <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">www.pricewatch.com</A> to get best pricing, then check the vendor at <A HREF="http://www.resellerratings.com" target="_new">www.resellerratings.com</A>

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com" target="_new">www.newegg.com</A> is a popular/trusted place to buy from. as a lot of people recomend them, I order from them myself.

Just be carefull with shipping charges from any other vendor. that is where they can make up alot of charges billing you max per item vs the whole order.

I have also ordered from the "refrub" section from newegg, always good product at a reduced price and FREE SHIPPING.

but for yourself, buy new so there is no problem in the event you need to return something. refurb has little to no warranty.

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Hey DVoted, If you want room to upgrade, I think Intel isnt the way to go. The reason is, almost every new chip they put out requires a new socket (ie a new motherboard), or a new type of ram (read: rambus).
I think Intel has a decent chip and really stable boards, but they are not much for upgrades. Whatever you get, be prepared to stick with it. Intel_inside or Intel advocate want to help this guy out? Im not privy to the best Intel mobos for a particular chip.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

G

>I primarily use my computer for web surfing and viewing
>dvd/multimedia on it

Surfing and DVDs hu...

>CPU (Pentium 4 2.0 GHz - Retail)
>Video Card (ATI All-In-Wonder 8500 DV)

Do you really think you need anything even remotely as fast as that ? DVDs can be viewed on a 500 Mhz cpu, and web surfing...well, lets just say it doesnt require anything highend at all. You wouldnt be able to tell the difference from a 700 Mhz style pc.

The radeon is really a nice card to have, but if you're not into gaming, video editing etc, you dont require such a high end card. ANY new video card will do DVD decoding nicely. As for the tv functionality, if you want that, you might also consider the cheaper 7500 based all-in-wonder.

I'd say, go for a cheaper setup, and spend your money on a good monitor instead. Not sure what you have now, but a quality 19" or more (like Iliyama) is something you'll hang on to for many many years, even when your sparkling new P4 will be sold as an entry level Celeron system.. Same can be said for the soundsystem. Reallt good speakers cost a lot of money, but will make your DVD experience so much better.

One last thought.. You might want to have a look at the nForce. It has the best available 5.1 sound built-in, decent graphics (very good if your not into gaming), lan, tv out, .. etc. All for a very fair price. It also performs like a champ.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =