Sign in with
Your question

AMD team-up with Ferrari!

Last response: in CPUs
February 6, 2002 4:10:51 PM

The Formula one car from Ferrari will be computerized by AMD.

Check the info at www.daily-f1.com

I prefer McLaren's team, but I have an AMD in my computer..

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

More about : amd team ferrari

February 6, 2002 5:09:34 PM

Go Ferrari and AMD, let them see how fast you are.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
February 6, 2002 5:14:33 PM

They can go as fast as they want as long that they are not faster thant the Mclaren.

ferrari has won the last 2 championship so this year, I don't want 'em again!

Related resources
February 6, 2002 5:21:29 PM

will the governing body allow the radiator or N2 cooling they will need for the cpu ??
lagger

<b><font color=blue>** Speed 2108(down)/365(up) kbps **
(At least 42 times faster than a 56k modem) </font color=blue>
February 6, 2002 5:38:54 PM

And which chip maker helps McLaren?

February 6, 2002 5:50:44 PM

They have Compaq all over the car toch? So 3 guesses :smile: Actually 3 is too many, 1 guess
February 6, 2002 6:01:02 PM

And Compaq suck so, GO Ferrari.

February 6, 2002 8:21:44 PM

Hey..dont mix Williams and McLaren. Compaq are with Williams. According to the McLaren Website(www.mclaren.co.uk), they have partnership with SUN and Siemens. I think the electronics is made by TAG Heuer, but I cannot confirm that.

February 7, 2002 11:31:09 AM

SUN isn't bad.

February 7, 2002 3:06:36 PM

Looks like their spending their $500 Million in Convertable Bonds wisely. I've herd it takes 150 people to run a F1 car. I hope the Shu fits.
February 7, 2002 11:43:30 PM

In reply to:
-I've herd it takes 150 people to run a F1 car-

Hummm. I think that there is only one seat per car ...

February 8, 2002 12:01:25 AM

man I sure hope they tackle that heat problem before they put any amd chips in that car.

<i>Hi I am from Canada, I don't use amd cause they melt my igloo eh.</i>
February 8, 2002 12:37:51 AM

what better team to help them emphasize on their less effort more work concept than world champs ferrari

:cool: :eek:  :redface: :frown: :lol:  :mad:  :eek:  :smile: :tongue: :wink:
February 8, 2002 1:26:09 AM

Check your semantics - to contribute to the operation of a vehicle or to run one is not the same as drive. Oh you must think Symantec is just a virus checker or outdated compiler.
February 8, 2002 4:19:43 AM

hey who really needs that much power in a car? wouldn't the processor in my gameboy be good enough?

Windows has started.
Would you like to play another game?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2002 6:06:53 AM

duh.. their not putting AMD chips in there, im pretty sure. That being said, you'd be surprised of the power needed to crunch data fast enough to control an engine running at 18.000+ rpm. Everything is done electronically in these cars, gas, brakes, suspension, the entire engine and they must sample hundred or even thousands of times per second. No, a gameboy wont cut it.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2002 9:52:20 AM

I wonder how many Mhz the ferrari will run at. Do you think they'll use arctic silver on it?
February 8, 2002 10:02:20 AM

*imagines mechanics slappin on the arctic silver in the gallon load*

Overclocked athlon 1200C @ 8.5 x 166FSB + PC2700 = GOOD! :smile:
February 8, 2002 2:38:25 PM

They say that AMD will help them to lower the weight of the on-board electronics. Because the weight is very important with these cars. And we all know that AMD chips are very efficient, doing more with less :-).

The parts I like the most in a F1 car is the transmission. 7 speeds for the Ferrari, all is done automaticly in less than .07 second. I mean, when the driver want to shift, either up or down, he push a button, the computer check the speed of the car, compute the speed of the engine after the shift, cut the engine, shift the gear, resume the engine at the exact rpm for the actual speed to avoid engine overspeed or underspeed and that, without the need for the driver to release the accelerator! So add that to the engine control and all the other thing that are computer controlled in these car and that take a lot of computer power.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2002 3:30:15 PM

how fast do you reckon the FSB will be? i bet it's faster than the car
February 8, 2002 4:17:30 PM

OK, I don't know anything about racing so I am just trying to make a joke. Don't take me wrong way. Here goes...

Since this is Formula One car from Ferrari, The older car used it's Athlon Processor was running only at 140 MPH. Now this new car will go to 160MPH but the odeometer will display it's going at 200MPH.

And, Also the Ferrari will not be computerized by AMD. It's just sponsering it, meaning that AMD is paying the Team to put their logo on their car. Not put their chip in their car.

Only thing I think similar between the Car and AMD Chips is they both Crash. (jk) I read this on "TheStreet.com"

KG
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2002 4:36:30 PM

Hey, my AMD is fine as long as i don't take the piss out of it with overclocking or adding a turbo.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2002 4:45:52 PM

Also, you're going on about wots quick enough to process engine revs, fuel delivery, suspension, brakes etc.... NASA rockets and stuff are a lot more technical than these cars, and these things, which send people into space etc... are using technology which is about 20 years old for reliability issues. Maybe F1 could take a leaf out of NASA's book, so then at least we might see more than 3 cars finish a race someday.
February 8, 2002 6:19:35 PM

Quote:
NASA rockets and stuff are a lot more technical than these cars, and these things, which send people into space etc... are using technology which is about 20 years old for reliability issues.

Yes and no, they use old technology because modern processors transistor size is so small that random cosmic rays can switch them on and off, thus possibly causing a computer crash, which would be bad, or worse a miscalculation, telling the thrusters to fire for 10 seconds when it was supposed to be 1 second....ooops fried astronaut.

Thus the space shuttle etc have to use older larger semiconductor technology in order to maintain saftey.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
February 8, 2002 7:24:17 PM

Well, the FSB (Front-side bus) is the bus that take the drivers in FRONT of their motorhome and bring 'em to the SIDE of the track. So actually, it is a way slower than the car.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2002 7:28:58 PM

I bet the CPU is faster from 0-60Mhz
!