Laptop Critique for WoW/TOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

rewd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I'm considering the following laptop to replace my current laptop which only has a Radeon 4200. I play WoW on low settings on this laptop. I'm looking to be able to play with settings turned to high/ultra (except shadows which I always turn to low even on my gaming rig). My primary gaming rig is my desktop for sure, so this is only for when I feel like being in a different part of my house or the occasional road trips. I ONLY play WoW but want something that stands a chance at running TOR whenever it comes out.

This laptop is very cheap ($500) and some of the reviews are saying people are playing Rift on ultra settings with no problems. I will say that right off the bat I will purchase an 8gig RAM upgrade so ignore the RAM spec below.

CPU Type
AMD Phenom II Quad-Core N970 2.2GHz

Screen
17.3"

Memory Size
4GB DDR3

Hard Disk
500GB

Graphics Card
AMD Radeon HD 6470M

Video Memory
512MB DDR3 VRAM

CPU Type
AMD Phenom II Quad-Core

CPU Speed
N970(2.2GHz)

CPU L2 Cache
2MB

Chipset
AMD M880G

Screen Size
17.3"

Wide Screen Support
Yes

Resolution
1600 x 900

LCD Features
LED backlight & Acer CineCrystal Technology

Graphics

GPU/VPU
AMD Radeon HD 6470M

Video Memory
512MB of dedicated DDR3 VRAM

Graphic Type
Dedicated Card

Hard Drive

HDD
500GB

HDD RPM
5400rpm

HDD Interface
SATA

The HD 6470 is a somewhat weak video card, but certainly faster than the Intel HD 3000 graphics core in a Core i3/i5/i7 CPU. It is probably marginally faster than the the HD 6520G video core in AMD's Llano A6 series APUs. That put's the Mobility HD 6470 almost as powerful as the desktop version of the Radeon HD 5550 / Radeon HD 6450.

See following review of the desktop Radeon HD 6450 to get an idea of the performance you can get from the Mobility HD 6470.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_6450/5.html

I have no idea what TOR is.

Status
Not open for further replies.