Dead Athlon 1.4?

sandain

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Don't mean to add more fuel to the Intel vs AMD fight, but I need some help. My room mate has a 1.4 Athlon that won't post on an Asus a7v266-e. His old Duron 600 however posts just fine. The core on the Athlon looks undamaged and uhh, unfried. Is it possible that he got a bad chip, or is it something else in the system. With the athlon chip in, we get no beeps and the orange light on the monitor stays lit (instead of going green). He has a 300 watt PSU, however I don't think it is Athlon approved. He went ahead and ordered a XP 2000+ today, but I'm still curious as to why we can't get that chip to work.

Thanks for the help.

~ Sandain

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
The T-bird 1.4GHz is considerably more power-hungry than a Duron 600. The AthlonXP 2000+ will be about as power-hungry as well, so if the XP doesn't work either, I'd suspect an insufficient power supply.

I suspect you've already tried this, but what about flashing the motherboard BIOS? Also, if you've got the motherboard set for 133MHz FSB, clock it down to 100MHz and see what happens.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
take a magnifying glass... have a close look at the edge of the athlon cpu die... any flakey bits? it should be a hard crisp right angled edge.

if its not that i would suspect an unfit PSU... a QUALITY 300W psu is desired. crap generic PSU's cauz alot of toruble.

Overclocked athlon 1200C @ 8.5 x 166FSB + PC2700 = GOOD! :smile:

svol

Champion
It depends which symptons you get. I've your CPU is fried your board won't generate any beeps, even if the mem/videocard are out. And the normal Power-on button would probably not be able to shut the system when it is started, you need to shutdown the PSU manually. But all fans and disks powerup like normal, but you don't get anything on the screen. This where the symptons I got when I fried my Tbird 1.4 GHz, I tested with 2 different mobo's, same results.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

sandain

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Hmm, power button works like normal, just won't post. I'll see if I can dig up a magnifying glass and examine the core more closely. I've already been told that the CPU is mine if it works considering he's got a faster one on the way. I would just have to find a new mobo considering I was one of the unlucky few who baught a classic Athlon.

~Sandain

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
My Abit KT7 has a failsafe boot mode (hold INSERT key) which allows the system to POST with minimum multiplier and FSB. If the Asus board has something similar then try it.

If not and the 1.4 is unlocked (I think most are) this might help you check for low power. With the Duron, setup the system in a minimum configuration, just memory and video card. Go into BIOS and set it to a very low clock (manual mode), like 6 X 100. Boot once and then shutdown. Swap the processors but don't reset the CMOS. See if it will at least POST. If you at least get a single beep and the keyboard flashes then the CPU is not dead. Any beep codes are a good sign except the one that indicates a bad CPU (check with the manufacturer for beep codes).

<b>We are all beta testers!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 02/11/02 02:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>