Anyone tried this?

OzzieBloke

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
Just a curious question... has anyone here taken an old processor from Intel, Athlon or Cyrix, stripped off the outer covering to expose the microscopic traces and looked at it under a top-side illuminated microscope capable of 400x magnification?

Reason I ask is that after discovering a website that deals with microchip art... or pictures that are stuck in by engineers in the empty parts of the silicon... I had an old 486 processor I decided to rip apart. And damn if I didn't fine a little picture of a gremlin, at 400x magnification.

Anyone tried looking at any other old AMD or intel chips lately? Apparently, some of the athlon chips had a gun firing a bullet, as well as other pics, according to some websites...

Well, it's a way to pass the time. Nuff said.

-

I plugged my ram into my motherboard, but unplugged it when I smelled cooked mutton.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
if i do somehow kill my cpu...ill give it a try...

<A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2649487" target="_new">P4 NW + DDR</A> = <font color=blue>Not Bad</font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Huh, that's really interesting. I might have to try that if I can find a microscope. We have several old CPUs around at work.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Hmmm I work in a public school (I'm the Shrink)I think I still have an old p-66 around somewhere and loads of Microscopes here..

lagger

<b><font color=blue>** Speed 2108(down)/365(up) kbps **
(At least 42 times faster than a 56k modem) </font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
At fujitsu where I worked, they had the amd trademark on every layer, because fujitsu and amd were in a flash partnership. They look totally different under a scanning electron microscope, or ultra high mag optics.

Very fun job, sad to see them shut the fab down :-(.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

TRENDING THREADS