WTF is an Industry Barn Burner ?

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Jerry Sanders keeps on refering to the Hammer Processor as an <i>'industry barn burner'</i>. Can someone explain to me where the notion of barn burning came from and what exactly the phrase means ?
(I take it doesnt come from inexperienced PC enuthusiasts building computers in a barn and accidently leaving the heatsink off...or does it ?!)

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Pure speculation here, but barn burner could've come from how revolutionary the car was, that everybody burned their barns since they wouldn't be needed anymore?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
well I don't know about the word 'barn', but the word 'burner' is pretty applicable to current amd processors. Hopefully hammer will have a working burn-prevention system.

<i>Hi I am from Canada, I don't use amd cause they melt my igloo eh.</i>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Here we see the trollus maximus, rare on this forum, only 4 are known to exist in the wild.

This one, INtelius_insideus is one of the weaker troll species, constantly bowing to his troll masters FUGGERIOUS and AMDus_meltdownus.

Please keep your hands away from the cage, he bites.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

eden

Champion
Even at 11 pm now, Mat still reigns the ROFL world!!
Good one indeed!

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
wow good job, that post is funny to maybe 4 people. I'm sure they appreciate it alot, everyone else on the other hand understands that YOU are the trollus maximus

<i>Hi I am from Canada, I don't use amd cause they melt my igloo eh.</i>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
everyone else on the other hand understands that YOU are the trollus maximus

Do they now?

I invite anyone who wishes to reply to this post, to vote who is the troll, Intel_inside, or Me.

I dont post mindless attacks on anyone off the topic of threads, I never claimed amd burned down my entire house, like you, oh, and I dont spend my time licking meltdown and fuggers ass for any scraps they can throw you. I know how much you want the first post anytime an amd chip gets fried!
Oh, and your sig states it as plain as day.

But I hope people vote, to show this troll and idiot, what people in this forum actually think about his bullshit.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
BTW

wow good job, that post is funny to maybe 4 people. I'm sure they appreciate it alot, everyone else on the other hand understands that YOU are the trollus maximus

I told you he bites, remain behind the white line for safe viewing, thankyou.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Good, why don't you point out the people who recognize Mat as "trollus maximus?" According to you, there are so many of them, it should be easy. :tongue:

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?</i>

P.S. While you're at it, why not make a list of the people who actually support you?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kelledin on 02/09/02 01:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
<Fat Albert> Hay Hay Hay the trolls won't go away.

<Dumb Donnald>We a hanging down in the clunker scrap heap and some not so cool cats start spreading some junk about the brothers.

<Mush Mouth> Why ‘b they ‘b trash ‘n’ and spread been them roomers?

<Rudy> Oh I know why, I tell ya trolls can be like the c programming language. I,on the other hand, am just like the c++ programming language.

<Russel> Albert what duz he mean by trolls being like the c programming language.

<Rudy> Don’t ask Fat Albert, I’ll give you the low down, U C “C” has no class.

<Fat Albert> Rudy’s right Ismell_Inside, Feltdown and Flunker have no class.

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Barn Burner: Frank Sinatra's slang for a classy "doll" (woman). Today, it's applied to anything good.
Ex: "My 'Doll' is one real "Barn Burner."

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Oh, btw... <A HREF="http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=barn-burner" target="_new">http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=barn-burner</A>

Best I can come up with. Can't find a definite origin for Sanders's meaning though.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Man this has become a trolling post...intel inside go and admire your pentium computer, and leave the discussions to people who are more mature and wish to learn more about CPU's/industry without bias.

P.S Thanks kelledin...(someone who actually kept to the subject of this post).

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

G

FatBurger is correct, but the term "Barn Burner" refers to someone who embraces new technology (like the car was back in the horse-n-buggy days).

An "Industry Barn Burner" would be a strange way of saying a leader in the technology area.

AMD K6-2@500MHz... takes a lickin' & keeps on tickin'!

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I have submitted a query as to the roots of this phrase to North-East Public radio's "word for the Wise " show .. perhaps they will give us the definative answer

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I would compare intel_inside to that crap you get in the corner of your eyes when you wake up.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Actually, if you would just gain some credibility I'd be fine with you. Post your system rig in the other thread so that we at least know you have some clue as to what you're talking about. It seems to me that you don't even own a modern PC, but are a mad zealot who wishes to bash AMD every second you get.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
if you want to write pointless personal attacks, send me a private message

You asked for it, were waiting for all those people who think you are not a troll, and I am an evil troll flaming you for no reason.