skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
I have an athlon 850 tbird with an old 2 GB HD and old toshiba CDROM. When I install Win98 se, everything goes ok until the end where the CDROM drive disappears and I can no longer finish installing the last files (since it can no longer read the win 98 disk). Even with this, the OS seems to work. I just can't get a CDROM drive. I think this happened to me before with an older computer. But the CPU and mobo are new. Just the HD and CDROM are from old systems. Anyone have a similar problem?

svol

Champion
If you know which file are missing you can set them on a diks (or use a network) another PC and them place them in the C:\windows\system directory. If you have chipset drivers you can also try to put them onto floppy or use a network to get them on that PC.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
hit F3 on the desktop and do a search for vnetbios.vxd. now if you find it do copy and past in to your c:\windows\system. if you have it in there, delete it. you can also reinstall it from dos and keep all your files safe.

<font color=purple><b>Let us respect each other, so we can all be friends.</b> :wink: </font color=purple>

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Dont you guys know that you should always do a 95/98 install from the hd. Make a dir called win9x or cabs and copy *.* from the x:\win9x dir. That also helps incase you do driver updates and you can leave your os cd put away and not worry aout scratching it up. vnetbios.vxd can easily be fixed by blowing away file and print sharing and reinstalling it

Blame the newbies not the technology

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
hihihi yeah the cab files. i don't think any one does that. well there are some, but not that many.

BTW the guy needs help not a suggestion.

<font color=purple><b>Let us respect each other, so we can all be friends.</b> :wink: </font color=purple>

skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
It was the CDROM (which came from an old compaq). When I used a mitsumi CDROM, the win 98 install went OK. How do they make a CDROM which does not work with all PCs? It looks like a normal IDE CDROM, and it did work with DOS. But for some reason, it stopped being recognized when win98 was the OS.

skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
how does this work with a new HD?
-- boot with DOS
-- FDISK to create a DOS partition
-- then copy the win98 folder from the windows CD to c drive? (I forgot the dos syntax for copy)