Can Software overclock cpu?

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
Hello,
I ran a small utility software on win9x or Me.
I changed either CPU multiplier or BUS speed using that software. When I reboot the computer, voila! boot screen showed Processor Speed = 333Mhz or something higher than original 300Mhz.
I am not sure if software can overclock cpu or mobo bus.
Is it really what it says or just funny show?

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
assuming you have softmenu in your bios and you have win9x it might be possible. In win9x software can flash the bios and that has caused some very nasty possibilities with certain viruses

<i>Hi I am from Canada, I don't use amd cause they melt my igloo eh.</i>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
It's VERY Possible.....
there's such programs out there like SoftFSB made by H-Oda..the creator of WCPUID, but is no longer supported.....you can still find copies of the program on other websites........there is a newer program that is almost the exact same, called CPUFSB.......what its supposed to do is eliminate the possibillity of the OS Crashign while booting.....so what it does is Overclock the FSB while your in Windows.......very usefull for older Processors like the PII's, or the Celeron 333's (which almost never could boot into windows @ 500MHz (100MHz FSB) BUT with these Handy programs it could eb doen after the system was booted =)

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!