Best Place To Buy Older CPUs

G

I need to get a 500 MHz PIII for a Slot 1 Motherboard (AB-BH6) with its fan and heat sync.

There are a kagillion used equipment sites, but it's hard to find one that deals in what I'm looking for, or that has on one hand. Moreover, I don't know which ones can be trusted.

Any of you have a favorite place to look for something like this?

Thanks, in advance.

MJS

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
<A HREF="http://computersurplusoutlet.com" target="_new"> Here </A>

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

G

Yes, thanks. I had already found that place, and they don't have that particular CPU; however, it's helpful to know that they are a recommended store in general!

Thanks, again.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, for the CPU, <A HREF="http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PIII500S1-2N" target="_new">HERE</A>. But you'll have to find your own heatsink. Why do you want this CPU, when the BH6 can support much more, for much less? Why not put a PIII 1000EB on it, and a slotket and cooler, for less?

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Thank you! Really appreciate it!

Re: Why Not Use a Faster Processor?

The motherboard documentation specifies that the 500 is my top speed option. I know Tom's website is one of the priemer meeting places for experts at overclocking, but I've always thought that was primarily for graphics cards and such. I didn't know that the whole motherboard could handle the timing issues with using a faster central processor.

I realize you aren't talking about overclocking the CPU, just using a faster CPU than the board "officially" supports. Is the AB-BH6 known to be stable when doing that?

For this machine's use, reliability is more important that squeezing ever cycle I can out of the CPU. I'm going to slap Linux on this guy, and just use it for some piddling around that I need to do on a Linux box for a contract I'm working on.

Thanks again!

MJS

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
According to the <A HREF="http://www.abit-usa.com/eng/faq/bh6.htm" target="_new">BH6 FAQ PAGE</A>, if your motherboard is revision 1.1 or higher you can use a Coppermine CPU.

Standard 100MHz bus Coppermines go up to 850, a few rare 900E and 1000E processors also exist. In order to use the more common 1000EB, you need PC133 memory and a fairly recent graphics card (any GeForce2/Radeon card would do, and many older cards as well).

Even if it isn't a new enough revision to do that, you can still run the <A HREF="http://www.powerleap.com/Products/iP3T.htm" target="_new">Powerleap iP3/T adapter with the Tualatin Celeron 1.2GHz</A>, available as a kit from Powerleap for $170

Also, the max NON-Coppermine CPU is the PIII 600 Katmai, so 500 still wouldn't be your limmit. It was probably simply the fastest CPU avaiable at the time the manual was written. Also, the restriction of the earlier board is not do to speed, but voltage: a Coppermine would run on the board at a higher than standard voltage if you used an adapter that lets you change the detected voltage.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

That's fantastic. I hit the mother lode of info with your replies.

I popped the motherboard out and looked. Unfortunately, the revision is 1.02. So, if it were you, would you go with the fastest NON-Coppermine SLOT1 PIII or with the PL-iP3/T 1200C?

I noticed that the PL-iP3/T 1200C did not add the restriction of only working on the 1.1 rev of the board... or it may be that they tested with rev 1.1 and didn't bother to specify that on their site.

I really appreciate your spending this much time on my questions, sir.

Regards,

MJS

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mstrong4867 on 02/10/02 08:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Well to clarify something, i believe you can stick any P3 Coppermine in your board as long as your using a Sloket adapter that allows you to secify the core voltage manually......is this correct Crashman ??!?? I may be mistaken, but I would doubt Abit did much else to the board in changes from revision 1.02 and 1.1...

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

G

This is first my experience starting with nothing but the motherboard, and you guys are giving me a serious education. I had several lazy-minded misnotions.

First and foremost, you disabused me of the notion that motherboards came out with chipsets and surrounding support chip infrastructure that was almost as limited by timing as were the processors that it supported. Sure, I knew that motherboards have a greater timing range than the CPUs themselves have, because the motherboards obviously support a range of CPUs at different speeds, but I didn't realize how resilient the board itself was at running at much higher speeds.

At least in this board's case, it's the changes in voltage as you go to higher speed CPUs, for which it was not originally designed to handle, that matters the most. And I trust that stability is not a problem because you both have obviously been doing this for a long time.

More Questions (As Long As I Can Continue To Lure You Into Giving Me All Of This Incredibly Good Info :O) ...

This board is supposed to soft-switch its operating characteristics to accomodate whatever CPU that you plug in to it, so that one does not have to fiddle with dip switches. I'm curious how it manages to adapt appropriately when I begin putting 1.2GHz Celerons on it. Powerleap has confirmed that it's compatible. Yet, being a software guy with little experience at this, I'm just very amazed / impressed. It seems like I would have to do some additional magic in the BIOS settings, or to do *some* tweaking *somewhere* of some sort, because of imperfect assumptions by the CPU identification / auto-calibration firmware.

Also, if I manually override the volatage, as you suggested I do if I want to try Coppermine processors, do all of the other automatic adaptations work properly?

Finally, rather than tell me which you would choose, NON-Coppermine or the 1.2GHz Celeron, you've given me back Coppermine CPUs as yet another option. If it were you, which of those options would you choose, assuming stability was very important?

I can't tell you how impressed I am with this web site and with the folks who "hang here". You've been fantastic.

Much appreciation,

MJS

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mstrong4867 on 02/11/02 08:15 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Well MJS....there is a good number of people here at the Toms Hardware Guide Forums whoa re willign to help and pass-on information....but you'll also notice a good number of Trolls roaming about.....you will have to try to ignore them....

Now, as far as which CPU OVERALL I would choose......honestly....it would eb tough.....now, I know that at stock speeds the Tully Celeron 1.2GHz chip performs pretty much exactly like a Coppermine 1000EB........the thign is are YOU into Overclocking? I Personaly liek to get every ounce of power out of what I have.....so therefore I would choose between the Powerleap 1.2GHz Celeron and the Copermine Pentium III 700.......

The Tully Celeron I've heard can run at speeds of 1600MHz, effectively 12.0 x 133.....If that was almost gauranteed...that's what I would get.......if not.....I'd have a seriosu debate between the Pentium III 700 and the 1000EB MHz Chips.....

now, the 700 can run at a speed of 933MHz.....EASILY......it's a pretty much 99% Gaurantee the 700 will run at 933.....as far as stability...i have yet to hear of any stability issues of running the 700 @ 933.....so in the end it all comes down to cost.....how much is the price difference of the 700 and the 1000EB P3 ??!?? If you want bragging rights, go for the 1000EB...if you want price/performance and just about on-par performance with the 1000EB..id get the 700 and clock it at 933MHz.......

so here.......we know Powerleap sells there Tulyl Celeron 1.2's for $170 correct ????

Pricewatch List's the Pentium III 1000EB for $111 and the Pentium III 700 for $97....so for that price I'd say the 700 is out of the question.......for practically $10 more u get the bragging rights......and well, realistically theres no point in getting a Celeron 1.2 Powerleap for $170....thats $59 more than the P3 1000EB which is pretty much just as fast if not faster than the Powerleap unit.....let alone its trunning at 133MHz FSB.....

OK......sum it up.......I Personally say the Pentium 3 1000EB is your best choice...along with a GOOD Quality Sloket Adapter.......get one made by Abit....I've heard there good......and rememebr, regardless of the Sloket you buy, MAKE SURE it has manual Voltage settings on it, and than your set........now, just wait to hear from Crashman's input before you go an buy anything =)

Good luck, and Hope it all works out for you =)

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
I admittedly didnt read all this posts here but if you still want a 500 slot 1 P3 I have a spare here I can sell cheap =) Dualie board fried and I am only using one now. It comes with a SERVER GRADE heatsink, NO FAN NEEDED =)

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!