Best non-core feats

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 31, 2005 5:53:23 AM

Quick question for the group. What, IYO, are the best non-core feats?
I'm thinking WoTC canon, but I suppose other publishers could be
included too.

"Best" here doesn't mean "most powerful", obviously. I'm thinking
'cool, nifty, adds interesting functionality, but balanced'.

Brief descriptions of the feat would be nice, for those of us who have
limited access to books beyond the core. (Because, say, we live in
Eastern Europe.)

Me, I have a particular weakness for feats that let players do new and
cool (but thematically appopriate) things with the same old core
character classes. But I'd be interested to hear what y'all think is
good.

Waldo

More about : core feats

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:34:52 AM

Waldo wrote:
> Quick question for the group. What, IYO, are the best non-core feats?
> I'm thinking WoTC canon, but I suppose other publishers could be
> included too.

Hmm... there are just so many. Most of my favourites are from Complete
Warrior; I'm a fan of the combat style and "three-in-one" feats.

> Brief descriptions of the feat would be nice, for those of us who have
> limited access to books beyond the core. (Because, say, we live in
> Eastern Europe.)

Which country?

Laszlo
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:52:18 AM

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> Waldo wrote:
>
> > (Because, say, we live in Eastern Europe.)
>
> Which country?

Romania. Bucharest.
I'm a little closer: Timisoara.

Silveraxe.
May 31, 2005 7:04:09 AM

Silveraxe wrote:

> Romania. Bucharest.

Right.

> I'm a little closer: Timisoara.

That's in western Romania, near where Romania, Serbia and Hungary come
together.

There are D&D players scattered thinly all over Romania, with the
biggest cluster in and around Bucharest. We have some trouble getting
books and equipment, though -- no gaming stores here, and ordering
stuff is relatively slow and expensive. Which is why I asked for brief
descriptions.

cheers,

Waldo
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 8:23:29 AM

Werebat wrote:
> Silveraxe wrote:
> > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> >>Which country?
> >
> > Romania. Bucharest.
> > I'm a little closer: Timisoara.
>
> I'm from the island of Batavia.

Good for you. Be proud!

Silveraxe
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 8:40:28 AM

Silveraxe wrote:
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> > Waldo wrote:
> >
> > > (Because, say, we live in Eastern Europe.)
> >
> > Which country?
>
> Romania. Bucharest.
> I'm a little closer: Timisoara.
>
> Silveraxe.

Please check your email.

Laszlo
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 11:07:31 AM

Silveraxe wrote:

> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
>
>>Waldo wrote:
>>

>>>(Because, say, we live in Eastern Europe.)
>>
>>Which country?
>

> Romania. Bucharest.
> I'm a little closer: Timisoara.

I'm from the island of Batavia.

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 2:47:27 PM

Waldo wrote:
> Quick question for the group. What, IYO, are the best non-core feats?
> I'm thinking WoTC canon, but I suppose other publishers could be
> included too.
>
> "Best" here doesn't mean "most powerful", obviously. I'm thinking
> 'cool, nifty, adds interesting functionality, but balanced'.
>
> Brief descriptions of the feat would be nice, for those of us who have
> limited access to books beyond the core. (Because, say, we live in
> Eastern Europe.)
>
> Me, I have a particular weakness for feats that let players do new and
> cool (but thematically appopriate) things with the same old core
> character classes. But I'd be interested to hear what y'all think is
> good.

I like the Tactical feats from the Complete Warrior. I even like a lot
of the divine feats from the same book as well as Complete Divine. My
favorite "flavor" feat, while not too powerful and maybe useless
without relics, is the True Believer one from Complete Divine which
allows one to use relics of a given deity without sacrficing spell
slots. I like it because relics of a given deity should only be used
by those who have dedicated their lives to the given deity. It shows
the character gave up a feat slot which is worthless without the patron
deity and in return the deity may give the follower an item of power
that only the most faithful can use. It gives a real incentive to
follow the deity's wishes and gives a real penalty to those who don't
RP their character to follow that devotion, being that feats are
precious and rare.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 3:26:32 PM

Waldo wrote:
> Quick question for the group. What, IYO, are the best non-core feats?
> I'm thinking WoTC canon, but I suppose other publishers could be
> included too.
>
> "Best" here doesn't mean "most powerful", obviously. I'm thinking
> 'cool, nifty, adds interesting functionality, but balanced'.
>
> Brief descriptions of the feat would be nice, for those of us who have
> limited access to books beyond the core. (Because, say, we live in
> Eastern Europe.)

Energy substitution. Swapping out cold for fire, etc. This is
something I'd been doing for years as a relatively simple task for a
mage to do, and I was glad to see someone finally make it available.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Silveraxe wrote:
> Werebat wrote:
>
>>Silveraxe wrote:

>>>Romania. Bucharest.
>>>I'm a little closer: Timisoara.
>>
>>I'm from the island of Batavia.
>

> Good for you. Be proud!

It does explain why my posts often come from the future...

- Ron ^*^
June 1, 2005 5:12:37 PM

> Quick question for the group. What, IYO, are the best non-core feats?

I like Close-Quarters Fighting. Let's you take an AOO on a grappler even
when their feat/ability (ie., Improved Grabble) denies it. Further it gives
you a bonus to resist a grapple attempt equal to the amount of AOO damage
you do. My dwarf has used it tons -- I *hate* getting grappled by these
huge monsters with grapple checks through the *roof*!!!

> Me, I have a particular weakness for feats that let players do new and
> cool (but thematically appopriate) things with the same old core
> character classes.

I think I like the same kinds of feats as you -- CQF is a decent example I
think.

I like the tactical feats from Complete Warrior too.

The weapon style feats (like Anvil of Thunder) are cool in concept but poor
in execution. I don't know of a soul who would take these (for what you get
they are too expensive in prerequisites, substandard weapons and then the
cost of the feat itself). I think they would've largely done well with
making these like the "martial arts styles" in OA where you simply meet the
prerequisites and then you get the benefits (IOW, no need to spend a feat).
This would mean, for example, if you went to the trouble to buy up Weapon
Focus (light mace), Two-Weapon Fighting and Combat Reflexes (an otherwise
unlikely combination), then you'd automatically gain the benefit of the
Lightning Mace style. These styles usually have a limited or very
conditional use -- in this case, you'd gain an extra attack after scoring a
threat while wielding two light maces...

Spinner
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 3:23:40 AM

Waldo wrote:
[...]
> Me, I have a particular weakness for feats that let players do new and
> cool (but thematically appopriate) things with the same old core
> character classes. But I'd be interested to hear what y'all think is
> good.

Feats which address GM problems.

Collegiate Wizard, from Complete Arcane, is a good example.
I haven't read the book yet (I'll get it from the library
within a few months), but apparently it gives the Wizard
character 2 extra spells known each time he advances a
level. In addition to this it gives a bonus to some skill,
and so some consider it unbalanced, but I think the Feat
would still be very nifty even if the skill bonus was dropped.

Similarly, any skills which makes item creation easier, in
the sense of reducing downtime requirements, or even
removing downtime requirements completely, so that the GM
can't prevent the character from creating the items that he
wants.

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

Waldo wrote:
> There are D&D players scattered thinly all over Romania, with the
> biggest cluster in and around Bucharest. We have some trouble getting
> books and equipment, though -- no gaming stores here, and ordering
> stuff is relatively slow and expensive. Which is why I asked for brief
> descriptions.

Noble Knight Games might be a solution. They give discounts
on all books (from 2 to 6 dollars per book, usually) and
offer cheap and slow shipping options, as well as expensive
and fast ones. They're also good at getting their stuff past
customs, at least Danish customs.

Sometimes I'm also lucky to find a used-but-good-condition
version (usually "near mint") of one of the RPG books I
want, allowing me to save a couple dollars more.

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

"Werebat" <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in message

> Silveraxe wrote:
>> Werebat wrote:

>>>I'm from the island of Batavia.
>>

>> Good for you. Be proud!
>
> It does explain why my posts often come from the future...

And why his country's flag features a bat snarling over a piece of moldy
cheddar.
!