Best non-core feats

Quick question for the group. What, IYO, are the best non-core feats?
I'm thinking WoTC canon, but I suppose other publishers could be
included too.

"Best" here doesn't mean "most powerful", obviously. I'm thinking
'cool, nifty, adds interesting functionality, but balanced'.

Brief descriptions of the feat would be nice, for those of us who have
limited access to books beyond the core. (Because, say, we live in
Eastern Europe.)

Me, I have a particular weakness for feats that let players do new and
cool (but thematically appopriate) things with the same old core
character classes. But I'd be interested to hear what y'all think is
good.

Waldo
13 answers Last reply
More about best core feats

    Waldo wrote:
    > Quick question for the group. What, IYO, are the best non-core feats?
    > I'm thinking WoTC canon, but I suppose other publishers could be
    > included too.

    Hmm... there are just so many. Most of my favourites are from Complete
    Warrior; I'm a fan of the combat style and "three-in-one" feats.

    > Brief descriptions of the feat would be nice, for those of us who have
    > limited access to books beyond the core. (Because, say, we live in
    > Eastern Europe.)

    Which country?

    Laszlo

    laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    > Waldo wrote:
    >
    > > (Because, say, we live in Eastern Europe.)
    >
    > Which country?

    Romania. Bucharest.
    I'm a little closer: Timisoara.

    Silveraxe.

    Silveraxe wrote:

    > Romania. Bucharest.

    Right.

    > I'm a little closer: Timisoara.

    That's in western Romania, near where Romania, Serbia and Hungary come
    together.

    There are D&D players scattered thinly all over Romania, with the
    biggest cluster in and around Bucharest. We have some trouble getting
    books and equipment, though -- no gaming stores here, and ordering
    stuff is relatively slow and expensive. Which is why I asked for brief
    descriptions.

    cheers,

    Waldo

    Werebat wrote:
    > Silveraxe wrote:
    > > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

    > >>Which country?
    > >
    > > Romania. Bucharest.
    > > I'm a little closer: Timisoara.
    >
    > I'm from the island of Batavia.

    Good for you. Be proud!

    Silveraxe

    Silveraxe wrote:
    > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    > > Waldo wrote:
    > >
    > > > (Because, say, we live in Eastern Europe.)
    > >
    > > Which country?
    >
    > Romania. Bucharest.
    > I'm a little closer: Timisoara.
    >
    > Silveraxe.

    Please check your email.

    Laszlo

    Silveraxe wrote:

    > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    >
    >>Waldo wrote:
    >>

    >>>(Because, say, we live in Eastern Europe.)
    >>
    >>Which country?
    >

    > Romania. Bucharest.
    > I'm a little closer: Timisoara.

    I'm from the island of Batavia.

    - Ron ^*^

    Waldo wrote:
    > Quick question for the group. What, IYO, are the best non-core feats?
    > I'm thinking WoTC canon, but I suppose other publishers could be
    > included too.
    >
    > "Best" here doesn't mean "most powerful", obviously. I'm thinking
    > 'cool, nifty, adds interesting functionality, but balanced'.
    >
    > Brief descriptions of the feat would be nice, for those of us who have
    > limited access to books beyond the core. (Because, say, we live in
    > Eastern Europe.)
    >
    > Me, I have a particular weakness for feats that let players do new and
    > cool (but thematically appopriate) things with the same old core
    > character classes. But I'd be interested to hear what y'all think is
    > good.

    I like the Tactical feats from the Complete Warrior. I even like a lot
    of the divine feats from the same book as well as Complete Divine. My
    favorite "flavor" feat, while not too powerful and maybe useless
    without relics, is the True Believer one from Complete Divine which
    allows one to use relics of a given deity without sacrficing spell
    slots. I like it because relics of a given deity should only be used
    by those who have dedicated their lives to the given deity. It shows
    the character gave up a feat slot which is worthless without the patron
    deity and in return the deity may give the follower an item of power
    that only the most faithful can use. It gives a real incentive to
    follow the deity's wishes and gives a real penalty to those who don't
    RP their character to follow that devotion, being that feats are
    precious and rare.

    Waldo wrote:
    > Quick question for the group. What, IYO, are the best non-core feats?
    > I'm thinking WoTC canon, but I suppose other publishers could be
    > included too.
    >
    > "Best" here doesn't mean "most powerful", obviously. I'm thinking
    > 'cool, nifty, adds interesting functionality, but balanced'.
    >
    > Brief descriptions of the feat would be nice, for those of us who have
    > limited access to books beyond the core. (Because, say, we live in
    > Eastern Europe.)

    Energy substitution. Swapping out cold for fire, etc. This is
    something I'd been doing for years as a relatively simple task for a
    mage to do, and I was glad to see someone finally make it available.

    --
    Sea Wasp
    /^\

    Silveraxe wrote:
    > Werebat wrote:
    >
    >>Silveraxe wrote:

    >>>Romania. Bucharest.
    >>>I'm a little closer: Timisoara.
    >>
    >>I'm from the island of Batavia.
    >

    > Good for you. Be proud!

    It does explain why my posts often come from the future...

    - Ron ^*^

    > Quick question for the group. What, IYO, are the best non-core feats?

    I like Close-Quarters Fighting. Let's you take an AOO on a grappler even
    when their feat/ability (ie., Improved Grabble) denies it. Further it gives
    you a bonus to resist a grapple attempt equal to the amount of AOO damage
    you do. My dwarf has used it tons -- I *hate* getting grappled by these
    huge monsters with grapple checks through the *roof*!!!

    > Me, I have a particular weakness for feats that let players do new and
    > cool (but thematically appopriate) things with the same old core
    > character classes.

    I think I like the same kinds of feats as you -- CQF is a decent example I
    think.

    I like the tactical feats from Complete Warrior too.

    The weapon style feats (like Anvil of Thunder) are cool in concept but poor
    in execution. I don't know of a soul who would take these (for what you get
    they are too expensive in prerequisites, substandard weapons and then the
    cost of the feat itself). I think they would've largely done well with
    making these like the "martial arts styles" in OA where you simply meet the
    prerequisites and then you get the benefits (IOW, no need to spend a feat).
    This would mean, for example, if you went to the trouble to buy up Weapon
    Focus (light mace), Two-Weapon Fighting and Combat Reflexes (an otherwise
    unlikely combination), then you'd automatically gain the benefit of the
    Lightning Mace style. These styles usually have a limited or very
    conditional use -- in this case, you'd gain an extra attack after scoring a
    threat while wielding two light maces...

    Spinner

    Waldo wrote:
    [...]
    > Me, I have a particular weakness for feats that let players do new and
    > cool (but thematically appopriate) things with the same old core
    > character classes. But I'd be interested to hear what y'all think is
    > good.

    Feats which address GM problems.

    Collegiate Wizard, from Complete Arcane, is a good example.
    I haven't read the book yet (I'll get it from the library
    within a few months), but apparently it gives the Wizard
    character 2 extra spells known each time he advances a
    level. In addition to this it gives a bonus to some skill,
    and so some consider it unbalanced, but I think the Feat
    would still be very nifty even if the skill bonus was dropped.

    Similarly, any skills which makes item creation easier, in
    the sense of reducing downtime requirements, or even
    removing downtime requirements completely, so that the GM
    can't prevent the character from creating the items that he
    wants.

    --
    Peter Knutsen
    sagatafl.org

    Waldo wrote:
    > There are D&D players scattered thinly all over Romania, with the
    > biggest cluster in and around Bucharest. We have some trouble getting
    > books and equipment, though -- no gaming stores here, and ordering
    > stuff is relatively slow and expensive. Which is why I asked for brief
    > descriptions.

    Noble Knight Games might be a solution. They give discounts
    on all books (from 2 to 6 dollars per book, usually) and
    offer cheap and slow shipping options, as well as expensive
    and fast ones. They're also good at getting their stuff past
    customs, at least Danish customs.

    Sometimes I'm also lucky to find a used-but-good-condition
    version (usually "near mint") of one of the RPG books I
    want, allowing me to save a couple dollars more.

    --
    Peter Knutsen
    sagatafl.org

    "Werebat" <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in message

    > Silveraxe wrote:
    >> Werebat wrote:

    >>>I'm from the island of Batavia.
    >>

    >> Good for you. Be proud!
    >
    > It does explain why my posts often come from the future...

    And why his country's flag features a bat snarling over a piece of moldy
    cheddar.

Core Games Video Games